Losing data randomly to notes I make edits to.

Go to solution Solved by Aman Pichunia,

Whichever note I open for editing loses data randomly, most of the time from the edited portion, sometimes from the past edited portion of the note. 

Entire paragraphs and sometimes entire tables is replaced by a checkbox, or a bulletin or an empty table.

I am using a Chromebook - HP Chromebook x360 

Have tried updating OS, and have run different browsers like the android Opera browser and the linux Edge browser but to no avail.

Then forced and with no option left, I installed the android Evernote for chromebook, and guess what - whenever I edit a note, it makes copies of the note. 

Now I am just sitting waiting for an update to fix this. 

Screenshot 2022-06-06 11.21.10 AM.png

Following this thread. Came here just to see if it was me, or Evernote's most recent update. Only recently began happening within the last week. Losing important information that just disappears and you don't know if and when it happens. Also noticing missing information is from the list check boxes.

• Like 1

I also use the Web Client, and it stays open pinned in Chrome 24/7 as long as I have my browser open, which is typically for 12 hours at a time. I sometimes use the Android App, which syncs to my account, and thought initially that the syncing may be causing the issue, as the notes seemed to disappear when trying to sync with my phone app. My boyfriend also has access to my shared notes with him, and he logged on, and some disappeared after as well. The issue seems to only have been occurring within the past week (I can guarantee that because I use Evernote daily!), and it seems to be deleting lists that only have checkboxes. For example, I will be editing my list within the table, switch tabs or switch notes (or potentially sync on phone) and everything in that list and table will be removed completely, except for the last line that I was editing. It may be an issue where Evernote isn't saving the changes quickly enough, but how it's deleting stuff on its own is beyond me. It's as if I'm Ctrl-A, hitting delete for everything except for the last line. This has happened at least four times in the past couple of days, and it's unfortunate that restoring your history requires a paid subscription, because that seems to be the only solution at this time until the bug is fixed.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

All what you post points to a bad internet connection.

Can you run a speedtest and post the values here: Download, Upload, Pingtime, Jitter and Packetloss ?

Absolutely not the result of a bad internet connection.

image.png.2d7617ba016276a697c5063bf0d09614.png

• Level 5

No, it looks quite OK. Better upload than mine, the rest is pretty similar. But just to mention: I don't have problems like the ones you describe. So let's take the connection out of the equation.

In this case contact support:

The probably best way to recover content is through note history.

Both features require a subscription.

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, it looks quite OK. Better upload than mine, the rest is pretty similar. But just to mention: I don't have problems like the ones you describe. So let's take the connection out of the equation.

Unable to contact support either without a paid subscription. I'll just hope that they catch it and fix it. Until then, I'm creating duplicates of my notes and not editing one of them because I just lot another a minute ago. It's definitely when switching notes that it's doing that.

• Level 5

Just a personal opinion: If the data / documents would be of any value to me, I would not hesitate to subscribe for a month, and get access to support. Cases like this can probably only be  analyzed with access to the EN server logs.

Support people cost money, what is the reason EN links support access to a subscription.

I have been using evernote for almost a year and never had such an issue. I too am quite sure that this is happening since the last update on May 26. 

I also agree that the data loss occurs on bulletins. 

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The recents additions to notes don't occur in note history only the previous data is there (latest being from past 2 hours or so). 

I have two tickets on with the support team since 5 June (waiting for the technical team to reply). 

Also, the web version updates are released on avg 15 days ans since last update was May 26, we might see a new update soon which might fix these. 

• Level 5

Thanks for posting - looks like very specific, only touching checkboxes and - as I read the posts - only on the web client.

Most of the fixes we users share are about installed clients. They are of no use with the web client.

Will be interesting what support finds out.

I have been experiencing a similar issue today, which must be related to the update I installed yesterday. I am using the desktop version, not web client, and the content that's being deleted isn't checkboxes (I haven't used any checkboxes today) - it's completely random content, like screenshots or parts of sentences. It's happened on a few different notes. I've largely been able to reconstruct what I was doing via the note history but in some cases the latest version hadn't yet saved so I lost my work.

• Evernote Expert

This is a thread concerning the web based service.  The issues, even if similar to look at, will be entirely different in terms of cause.

The fairly standard answer to this issue on the desktop application is to rebuild your local data.

First try:

File | Sign Out | Remove my Evernote data from this device | Sign back in

After a short time your data will be recreated and you should have a clean undamaged local data file.

If that doesn't work you have the opportunity for the slightly more radical...

File | Quit

In your file explorer locate the local data directory - on Windows %AppData%\Evernote 

Delete the Evernote directory and then log back in or if you want to be really sure, uninstall and then download the current installation program and reinstall. Log back in.

None of these steps will be any use for the web client which this thread is actually concerning.

• Level 5

@agsteele In general I agree to the description for the desktop clients. 

Just one aspect I would describe differently: After deleting the local database, the client will be back to work pretty fast after the next login. However it will run on a mixture of local and web data for some time. How long depends on the internet connection and the device. On my rather fast MacBook Pro with Gigaspeed internet it took 2 days before the network traffic with EN ebbed off.

Until the download is complete working offline will not be able to open all notes, depending on the download status.

• Thanks 1

I have been lucky so far, since you mentioned that they were fixing it, mine has not lost any data. But within the web client, I have been highlighting my recently-edited list, copying it, clicking off of the list and outside the table (all of my checkbox lists are within tables), going to another/different note, and then immediately coming back to see if it retained my changes. So far, that has been working. And if it happens to delete it, I still have it copied to my Clipboard to paste it back in.

I hope this gets fixed soon. I've been using Evernote for probably around 10 years, and this is the first time ever I've had any issues with it. It's been my favorite note-saving program that I've used.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2022 at 5:25 AM, Aman Pichunia said:

Whichever note I open for editing loses data randomly, most of the time from the edited portion, sometimes from the past edited portion of the note. 

Entire paragraphs and sometimes entire tables is replaced by a checkbox, or a bulletin or an empty table.

I am using a Chromebook - HP Chromebook x360 

Have tried updating OS, and have run different browsers like the android Opera browser and the linux Edge browser but to no avail.

Then forced and with no option left, I installed the android Evernote for chromebook, and guess what - whenever I edit a note, it makes copies of the note. 

Now I am just sitting waiting for an update to fix this. 

Screenshot 2022-06-06 11.21.10 AM.png

I have exactly the same issue since this week and I am desperate!!! 

4 hours ago, JorgeDP said:

Everybody is. I have just stopped editing and now I am using pdfs of my notes. 

It is so disturbing. But nothing we can do except wait and wait it to be fixed. 

Screenshot 2022-06-11 10.08.51 AM.png

• Sad 1

I'm seeing this as well now with the latest Windows client on the latest version.

I can replicate it every time by:

Copying checkbox and text from another note and pasting in a new note.

Then making edits to the new note.

Going back to the old note and copy another checkbox and text and pasting it in the new note.

When I open new note then previous text for the checkbox is gone.

8 hours ago, timmycomedy said:

OP - do you use other versions of Evernote?  Is the text that you are losing random or is it the most recently edited text?

Only Evernote Web. 

Data loss is as follows:

image.png.75fca772c57d8d8ef116d917a29d8c76.png

I added the Human Elephant Conflict and Unified Count section to this note and upon next visit to this note - Magic - Railway Collision Section is replaced by a "checkbox".

Conclusion - Data loss occurs near the edits I make. 

5 hours ago, Aman Pichunia said:

Only Evernote Web. 

Data loss is as follows:

I added the Human Elephant Conflict and Unified Count section to this note and upon next visit to this note - Magic - Railway Collision Section is replaced by a "checkbox".

Interesting.  So this is a different problem than I have Development addressing at the moment.  I have been combing through all examples of missing text for their team because I keep experiencing data loss and saving issues myself.  However I don’t use the web version, only the apps.

I’ve noticed that documenting the issue and trying to show that it happens to other people while also emailing support regularly has really raised the profile of my own issue, so that’s my advice.  I know it’s time consuming and frustrating - I feel as if I had to take a week off of work to address my own issues, but if the end result is a fix so we can move forward with a product we get mad it, but at the same time root for and need, I suppose it’s worth it.  Best of luck.  I know they are now working on similar issues so perhaps that will fix your own as well.  

I’ve been pushing hard for a fix and pouring tons of my own time into it.  Hell, I feel like I’m working for them at the moment.  They should offer a free year to someone who discovers, documents, and pursues a fix until it’s resolved.

11 hours ago, Aman Pichunia said:

Only Evernote Web. 

Data loss is as follows:

I am using the Evernote 10.38.3 Mac version and exactly the same is happening. 

Just +1ing that I've also been experiencing this bug a couple of times a day for the past few days. Entire sections of bullet points either simply disappear, or get turned into a single empty checkbox with no text. I mostly take notes in the form of bullets, so it's very frustrating for the saving feature to be so unreliable.

FWIW, I use both the web client and the Android app (ver 10.33, 1123125), but personally I mostly notice bullets going missing on the web client. That might just be because I spent more of my time on the web client though.

• Level 5
On 6/11/2022 at 3:25 AM, Jon/t said:

I'm seeing this as well now with the latest Windows client on the latest version.

I can replicate it every time by:

Copying checkbox and text from another note and pasting in a new note.

Then making edits to the new note.

Going back to the old note and copy another checkbox and text and pasting it in the new note.

When I open new note then previous text for the checkbox is gone.

Jon/t, this is very precise. I hope you have reported it to Support so they can do some tests of their own.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:39 AM, Aman Pichunia said:
On 6/10/2022 at 8:02 PM, JorgeDP said:

Everybody is.

No, "everybody" is not. Everybody reporting it here is. But I've never encountered this problem. Perhaps I simply haven't done the specific sequence of actions that cause it. Evernote is used by so many people in so many ways that it's not surprising that one subset of users, following similar procedures, is experiencing the problem, while others using different procedures do not experience it.

11 hours ago, diya123 said:

Just +1ing that I've also been experiencing this bug a couple of times a day for the past few days. Entire sections of bullet points either simply disappear, or get turned into a single empty checkbox with no text. I mostly take notes in the form of bullets, so it's very frustrating for the saving feature to be so unreliable.

FWIW, I use both the web client and the Android app (ver 10.33, 1123125), but personally I mostly notice bullets going missing on the web client. That might just be because I spent more of my time on the web client though.

Did you report it to support? 

On 6/11/2022 at 11:39 AM, Aman Pichunia said:

Everybody is. I have just stopped editing and now I am using pdfs of my notes. 

It is so disturbing. But nothing we can do except wait and wait it to be fixed. 

Screenshot 2022-06-11 10.08.51 AM.png

Hi im experiencing the same issue now. The file suddenly missing while i edit it. Do u guys know how to fix this problem? Im using android phone for the evernote. Thank u

• Like 1
  • Level 5
13 hours ago, Fen1979 said:

Hi im experiencing the same issue now. The file suddenly missing while i edit it. Do u guys know how to fix this problem? Im using android phone for the evernote. Thank u

Hi, and welcome to the forums. This is the forum for the Web version, not Android; but the problem has also been reported in the Windows app, so it may be present in Android also. In any case, they have a fix for it that is being distributed. Here is the info for Windows; check the Play Store for an Android update:

• Like 2
On 6/13/2022 at 8:26 AM, diya123 said:

me too! I only use bullet points cause it makes it easier to move things around... 

Im on the mac app and facing the same issue... sometimes is turns into a check, sometimes its just gone with no trace....

Came here to report this same issue in bulleted lists. Running desktop 10.39.7.

Mostly it shows up as multiple bullet points replaced with a single check box, as screen shots here have shown, but in a few instances multiple bullet points have been erased and one word of text is left behind. This happens before the note is saved to history so the text is gone.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, saloni1994 said:

I WAS MAKING NOTES IN EVERNOT. AFTER SOMETIME WHEN I CHECK. IT AUTOMATICALLY DELETE SOME NOTES.

WHAT TO DO? 

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I'm not sure that what you're experiencing is the same issue as the one described in this thread. Nevertheless, can you please give some more details. Were you making notes in the Web browser version of Evernote? Did the loss of notes also occur in that version? Have you looked in the Trash (which is where deleted notes normally go)? If they're not in the Trash, it's possible that there was a problem in the syncing. The master copy of all notes resides on the Evernote servers, and is synced with the Evernote apps or Web client from there. Be sure you have a stable, strong Internet connection, and give it a chance to sync completely. Please let us know (we are other users here) whether the situation improves or not.

PS. Please don't write in ALL CAPS. This is standard etiquette on forums. Instead of conveying urgency, it feels like shouting. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My notes suddenly have tons of content missing and I’ve been dealing with it for a couple of months, but today I am quite frustrated as I noticed a note that I spent a lot of time on that had specific details is now completely gone! 
I’ve noticed this happening mainly with my iPhone Evernote app, but it’s also happened on my laptop using Chrome.

This is unacceptable for me and I’d love to know how I can at least retrieve this specific note’s contents, if at all possible.

I have been using Evernote for years and have loved and trusted it for that long after switching over from OneNote, but if this bug doesn’t resolve ASAP, I may need to reconsider.

• 8 months later...

having this problem now, 2023-05-27 and 26. Infuriating. Paid professional version of Evernote, running on DESKTOP. Not quite getting how edits on desktop are being erased. Defeats whole purpose of using "Ever" (not so much) note.

• Evernote Expert

I haven't seen this but others are reporting similar. It is evidently a new bug. You should open a support ticket.

I'm sure that this will be getting attention already but more reports to support will add evidence.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, raojenkins said:

having this problem now, 2023-05-27 and 26. Infuriating. Paid professional version of Evernote, running on DESKTOP. Not quite getting how edits on desktop are being erased. Defeats whole purpose of using "Ever" (not so much) note.

Please note that you've added this to a year-old thread that is about a problem in the Web client supposedly caused by an update to it back then. Lots has changed, and changed very recently; and you're experiencing the issue in the desktop app. Please take a look at this thread where others (including me) are reporting this about the Windows app, which should make for a more coherent discussion:

On 5/27/2023 at 5:37 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Please note that you've added this to a year-old thread that is about a problem in the Web client supposedly caused by an update to it back then. Lots has changed, and changed very recently; and you're experiencing the issue in the desktop app. Please take a look at this thread where others (including me) are reporting this about the Windows app, which should make for a more coherent discussion:

thanks Dave-in-Decatur - new to this forum and still figuring it out. Will do. Have also submitted a help ticket.

Edited by raojenkins
fix typo
  • Like 1