Upgrade on MAC is failing because 127.0.0.1 is not reachable

Hi,

I have a company MAC computer and by the policy or firewall the 127.0.0.1 is not reachable:

MacOS % ping 127.0.0.1

PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

I can't change the settings and because of this setup Evernote can't upgrade. It always downloads the latest app but it can't install. I always have to download and install manually. I guess others have the same issue.

When I ping an other IP on an other network card (not 127.0.0.1) than it is reachable and working fine.

• Level 5

This IP-Address is no normal public one. 

The address space 127.0.0.1 is very specific - it is reserved for the localhost address. It can not be reached in the traditional meaning of the word.

You find a detailed description here:

https://www.purevpn.com/blog/what-is-127-0-0-1/

So it just enforces to connect to the localhost address - makes sense if your companies network is build that way.

I know what is 127.0.0.1 or localhost. i just let you know, this company is having 300k+ employees (office workers). I guess it is not the best to ignore the upgrade of this size even it is effecting only mac users.

• Level 5

I am not impressed (300k and so on).

If you have a problem getting an update routed via your 300k localhost, it means that the IT-guys at your shop want to control all network traffic. 

In this case you need to talk to the IT department. Maybe they just have to whitelist EN. Or does this world class outfit run without a competent IT department … ? Yes, the same guys that lock up your Macs that you can’t update. As I understood, they have nailed the function down, not EN.

Or issue a support ticket to EN.

Greetings from a friendly user.