Bulleted checkboxes auto-reverting to checklists

If making a bullet list that has checkboxes in them, those checkboxes are automatically being converted to checklists (i.e. they have a strike-out once ticked rather than just being ticked with no strike-out of the text).

Can this please be changed?

If I want to make a checkbox I don't want it to automatically be changed into a checklist.

Looking back on the forums, this has been an issue since at least 2018.

• Level 5

No - it is not a bug, it is a feature. At least EN has up to now treated it like this.

First comment: It can’t be an issue since 2018, because the checklist feature was only introduced in September 2020, with the first release of a v10-client.

2nd comment: The lists in the new editor are meant to be used individually: You have bullets, XOR numbers XOR checklists. They don’t easily mix. And checkboxes are no longer a list element, they are only text formatting elements.

3rd comment: To save a checkbox at the beginning of a line from autoconversion, type a space in front of it.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:23 PM, PinkElephant said:

No - it is not a bug, it is a feature. At least EN has up to now treated it like this.

First comment: It can’t be an issue since 2018, because the checklist feature was only introduced in September 2020, with the first release of a v10-client.

2nd comment: The lists in the new editor are meant to be used individually: You have bullets, XOR numbers XOR checklists. They don’t easily mix. And checkboxes are no longer a list element, they are only text formatting elements.

3rd comment: To save a checkbox at the beginning of a line from autoconversion, type a space in front of it.

When did I call it a bug? I know it's a feature. A completely uncalled for feature. Are you an Evernote employee? Or just an ardent defender of every decision they make?

• Level 5

LOL

Your studies of Pinkelephantology has not yet reached a level to pass this examination. Try again.

Some hints:

EN employees in the forum carry a „Staff“ notification in their badges. There are some „Experts“ (making at least some income from EN consulting). And then there is the bloody rest of us, users who pay their subscriptions and share their views. Don’t like mine ? In fact, I don’t care. I’m not here for the crowd.

The difference between an uncalled feature and a bug is - fluid. For everybody who invested a lot or effort into formatting his notes this is pure semantics. For everybody enjoying the excellent new checklist feature, it is probably semantics as well.

You should work on your facts: EN v10 launched in September 2020, iOS client went first. I remember it pretty well - I was completely shocked how this piece of buggy, unfinished software ever made it to the AppStore. I still don’t know, but I do know the devs made a LOT to make up for this fuckup day, and today the apps are in total (this means not in every aspect) the best EN we users ever had.

But still, you can’t find forum threads dating back to 2018 when the software released in autumn 2020. The forum knows everything, but on prophecies we still need to work.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:23 PM, PinkElephant said:

Sorry, I only care about the 3rd comment. And the fix doesn't work. Sure, when you are in the note, the checkbox doesn't get converted to a checklist. But as soon as you exit the note and re-enter it - it appears as a checklist instead of a checkbox.

You still gonna call it a 'feature' and not a bug when it behaves like that, then?

So how do you get in touch with an actual Evernote employee to report it? All the 'support' links lead to this barren forum where people whinge about stuff and nothing gets looked at instead of actual development staff who can implement changes...

2 hours ago, Cussy182 said:

And the fix doesn't work. Sure, when you are in the note, the checkbox doesn't get converted to a checklist. But as soon as you exit the note and re-enter it - it appears as a checklist instead of a checkbox.

I find a period before the checkbox more reliable than a space so that might be worth trying.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Cussy182 said:

So how do you get in touch with an actual Evernote employee to report it? All the 'support' links lead to this barren forum where people whinge about stuff and nothing gets looked at instead of actual development staff who can implement changes...

If you are a subscriber, you should have no problem to reach support.

If on Free, it's the forum.

And you can be assured, EN is quite aware of this behavior of the new editor. It was one of the first things that popped up here, and in support tickets when v10 was released. I don't think it was ever confirmed as a bug - in the new editor there is no choice of checkbox or checklist for any listed content with a checking function. It is checklist by concept, period. Checkboxes are a text formatting option, but not for lists.

Why it must then auto convert old lists is left to everybody's imagination. I don't care, my way to handle it ...