Can not log in with my email

Go to solution Solved by Tellerin,

Dear Evernote and everybody, 

I could not log in Evernote on Web with email login option. After I enter my email and click Continue, it does not proceed the next step, the screen was stucked there, not showed anything, not show a textField to enter password. I have to log in with another option is: "Continue with Google". 

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? How to log in with email address?

(This issue actually exists for a long time, years, but I post it here today cause I could not bear it anymore. It is so inconvenient.)

image.thumb.jpeg.b740251be91442c9ad03fd9dfe4446a3.jpeg

------------------------------------------- 

- I have the second question, I could not log in my Evernote account on Desktop app even I entered the right password. The pop up just kept showing after I enter my password. Please fix it. Thank you. 

image.png.525f588fc246850e2a293fabe1e3c76b.png

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Free user, or on a subscription ?

I am a free user but I don't think it's relevant to login function. I hope Evernote Devs could help me check this function work properly or not? Thanks.

• Level 5

The plan may be relevant.

When you exceed your devices limit, sometimes it shows an error message. But sometimes it just does not allow a login, without a message.

If you have any working device, go to your account information, tab devices. Check how many devices are registered. If there are too many, it will not allow a new one. It may be you think that the device is already there, but there are reasons why a device is treated as new. In this case unsync so many devices, to be down to just 1 (the one you use to check), and then it should be possible to add another one.

Caution with unsyncing: If you unsync too many, it can create a lock out for 30 days.

Dear Mr. @PinkElephant,

I did check the number of device and I see that it's only 1 device -> I tried to sign in again in web browers but obviously it still did not work. Please see screenshots below.

(You might not know but This issue actually exists for a long time, years, but I post it here today cause I could not bear it anymore. It is so inconvenient.)

Screenshot_2.jpg.96868402a812a5baf51980a1ba1c77df.jpgScreenshot_1.jpg.b51aaa3d1a2ebfe85bde8cd44248d671.jpg

Best Regards, 

Jing

You might not know but This issue actually exists for a long time, years, but I post it here today cause I could not bear it anymore. It is so inconvenient. I hope you could help me out with this issue. 

• Level 5

If you are hitting the devices limit, it can happen. I don’t say it is this issue, but it must be checked first. Just a few examples:

The installed client and the web client count as a „device“ each, even if they run on the same physical machine.

The new and the legacy client are counted as 2 „devices“, even on the same computer.

The usual setup allowed for a Free user is one mobile (most of us today have a phone as our to-go device), and either one installed client or the web client. Mistakes happen for example when switching phones, or by going to the web client when the installed client is not available. And then next time you have an access problem, sometimes without a message.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you are hitting the devices limit, it can happen. I don’t say it is this issue, but it must be checked first. Just a few examples:

The installed client and the web client count as a „device“ each, even if they run on the same physical machine.

The new and the legacy client are counted as 2 „devices“, even on the same computer.

The usual setup allowed for a Free user is one mobile (most of us today have a phone as our to-go device), and either one installed client or the web client. Mistakes happen for example when switching phones, or by going to the web client when the installed client is not available. And then next time you have an access problem, sometimes without a message.

Yes, it might be. However I can still log in on web with option "Continue with Google", it means that my account did not hit the devices limit. If my account hit the devices limit, it would not be able to log in on web with any options. Does it make sense?  

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably yes, probably no. I do not use „login by“, so I can’t tell.

But why hypothesize ? Just look it up in devices in your account information. If the web opens, it is simple to check,

Yes, I did that, you know:

3 hours ago, thucuu8x said:

Dear Mr. @PinkElephant,

I did check the number of device and I see that it's only 1 device -> I tried to sign in again in web browers but obviously it still did not work. Please see screenshots below.

(You might not know but This issue actually exists for a long time, years, but I post it here today cause I could not bear it anymore. It is so inconvenient.)

Screenshot_2.jpg.96868402a812a5baf51980a1ba1c77df.jpgScreenshot_1.jpg.b51aaa3d1a2ebfe85bde8cd44248d671.jpg

Best Regards, 

Jing

Check any ad blockers and trackers are disabled for Evernote and try clearing the web cache. Might help.

I've had issues logging into various apps if my ad/tracker blocker is on for the site.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Check any ad blockers and trackers are disabled for Evernote and try clearing the web cache. Might help.

I've had issues logging into various apps if my ad/tracker blocker is on for the site.

Thank you for your support, I have tried to do as you suggested but still no luck. I even tried to allow all pop up and ads and it still did not work. Then I tried to reset permission and try to log in with my email again but as I predicted, still no luck.  You can see in the screenshots attached. 

Can you guys help me one thing? It is logging out your Evernote accounts then trying to log in with your emails and tell me the results. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

• Level 5

I always use the login via email, and never had problems. Not on my paid account, not on my second Free account. I frequently use the web client as well, on Mac, iPad and even on my tiny Raspberry Pi.

Maybe try a different browser - Firefox is a good, free alternative. It runs on its own engine. It allows to start with a blank sheet when freshly installed.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe try a different browser - Firefox is a good, free alternative. It runs on its own engine. It allows to start with a blank sheet when freshly installed.

Unfortunately, I got the same result with firefox and Microsoft Edge. It did not show a thing after I pressed continue. 

• Evernote Expert

As a Free user you will, now, probably have breached the device limits. Each different browser will count as a new device.

Given that you are using a Google address and successfully connect using Login with Google perhaps that's the best solution as a free user.

• Evernote Expert
18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We checked this already, see above: only 1 device.

Yes, but @thucuu8x says she has now tried multiple different browsers which, I think, could now have added to the device count. Just to complicate the issue. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

We checked this already, see above: only 1 device.

My best idea at the moment is that something on the network is blocking the login action on the Evernote.com address.

@thucuu8x can you try on another network, like a free WiFi somewhere ?

• I think you are right. I checked again with the Evernote account info and it only shows 1 device linked, it does not count browser. 
  • I tried to log in with email on mobile and use wifi -> the same issue happened. 
  • I tried to log in with email on mobile and use mobile network -> I was able to log in with email, the password textfiled showed up. Great!

So, i think there is an issue with my wifi. However, I tried with LAN network at work/my office, the same issue happened, I could not log in with my email. I use my email to log in instead of via Google account since I could not use gmail at work, my company blocks some Google services.

I guess the only option I have now is logging in via email with mobile network. I suppose it is a temporary solution at this moment.

Thank you guys so much for helping me, @PinkElephant and @agsteele. Have a nice weekend!!!  

Screenshot_1.jpg.d3bdfbf30a39da49b5fb1bae2d6073cd.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Is this your own computer, or a PC provided by your employer ?

Often the IT security in companies installs stuff that works on the concept „what is not allowed, is forbidden“. It blocks everything, and makes exceptions by whitelisting. Much easier to handle, because there are no blacklists you need to update frequently.

• Evernote Expert

I confess that I am confused... I can see that you are attempting to connect to Evernote through a web browser but you are also showing us screen captures from the setting menus in Evernote Legacy - which shows only one device linked etc. I think, with me so confused by what is being attempted here, I'll wish you well in the search for a solution but not be able to offer any additional insight.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi, if you look up the thread, you see that there is a working access with the Windows client. The browser access is wanted as second client. So I think the account check was done on the working Windows client.

Just my 5 ct …

On 6/5/2022 at 4:46 PM, agsteele said:

I confess that I am confused... I can see that you are attempting to connect to Evernote through a web browser but you are also showing us screen captures from the setting menus in Evernote Legacy - which shows only one device linked etc. I think, with me so confused by what is being attempted here, I'll wish you well in the search for a solution but not be able to offer any additional insight.

Hi, I am trying to log in Evernote on web cause I want to do that at my office, not at home. I installed Evernote legacy at home but I don't want to do so at work. :)

On 6/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, PinkElephant said:

Both my own PC and the pc at work are not able to log in Evernote with email. My pc at home is obvious not be applied any IT sercurity settings. :) 

• Level 5

Let’s put it that way: We have pretty much exhausted our fund of ideas to solve this problem.

Network problems (and this looks like one) can’t be analyzed from thousands of km away.

Wish you luck, maybe a friend familiar with IT issues can help you. Or use the mobile client as second device - this is what most people do.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Let’s put it that way: We have pretty much exhausted our fund of ideas to solve this problem.

Network problems (and this looks like one) can’t be analyzed from thousands of km away.

Wish you luck, maybe a friend familiar with IT issues can help you. Or use the mobile client as second device - this is what most people do.

Thank u very much. I actually did not hope much that we can resolve this issue. I will use Evernote on Mobile. Have a nice day!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Solution

@thucuu8x - I just experienced the same issue using the free version, 2 devices (a) Firefox/Opera/Chrome browsers or (b) Android phone. The account is NOT even near its limit.

I get to the login screen, enter the email address. The screen for password entry does not appear. 
Logging in via Google account - The screen for password entry does not appear.

Suggested fixes above do. NOT. work. for. me.  

What did work? -A password reset

Both access ways/access via both devices  are again working using email as login once I entered a new password. 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 2
On 12/29/2022 at 7:11 PM, Tellerin said:

@thucuu8x - I just experienced the same issue using the free version, 2 devices (a) Firefox/Opera/Chrome browsers or (b) Android phone. The account is NOT even near its limit.

I get to the login screen, enter the email address. The screen for password entry does not appear. 
Logging in via Google account - The screen for password entry does not appear.

Suggested fixes above do. NOT. work. for. me.  

What did work? -A password reset

Both access ways/access via both devices  are again working using email as login once I entered a new password. 

Hope this helps. 

I am not sure your method works or not but I will temporarily mark it as the solution. Thank you so much!!!

• 6 months later...

Hello. I encountered the same problem. I cannot log in to my profile using my email address. All I can do is log in with a google account. What is going on, Evernote?

• Evernote Expert

If you can access your account and see your data with the Google SSO then you can access your account settings and then check your account settings.

• 1 month later...

What’s being described here is a bug. One I encountered which is how I wound up here.

I’m not sure how you’d expect someone to check their device limit when they’re unable to authenticate into the service...

In my case the page was temporarily showing a “you’re using an old password, you changed it this many days ago” message in small red text. The message disappeared on its own fairly quickly, so I had to reproduce is a couple of times to figure out what was going on. If anyone's interested in investigating a real solution I'd be happy to upload a .har file while reproducing the issue.

I am experiencing the same issue. I installed Evernote for the first time, signed up on my mobile phone, and now I'm trying to log in on my computer. I am stuck at the "Sign in with Google" step in the Evernote app and it won't proceed to the next step.

---

I just resolved the problem. Even though I signed up using Google, attempting to log in with Google within the app doesn't work. So, I went to the Account > Account Summary section on the web page where I had logged in. (Since I signed up with Gmail, my Gmail account serves as the direct ID.) After that, I returned to the app and on the screen where I could log in via email, I requested a password reset email to be sent to my Google account. After changing my password to something different, I was able to log in successfully.

I'm disappointed that Evernote attributes this issue to user error. Please investigate the problem of Google login not transitioning to app login.

Edited by lev120