Sync issues

I have a question.  Can I not add a note on my desktop then add to it from my iPhone?  It seems every time I do this there is a "Note Conflict" !  I then end up with two notes of basically the same thing in my folders.  

Questions:
1. Is there a way to stop this from happening?
2. When it does happen what is the best way to handle it?

Thanks,

Robert

• Level 5

When you edit at the same time on 2 devices, each one will sync with the server. There both versions meet, and EN does not know which one is the preferred one. It can’t automatically join the 2 versions, so it creates a conflict note instead.

Conclusion: Edit the same note only on one device at a time. Before you switch to another device, leave editing mode and give it time to sync, first to the server and from there to all connected devices.

• Level 5

Remark: This situation is created by the way EN is syncing. It treats the whole note as an entity, and syncs the whole note. This was state of the art when EN was designed in the early 2000s.

More advanced syncing concepts break a document (a note, a file etc.) down into many tiny blocks. There only a changed block will be synced. Many devices or users can work on the same document at a time, because only the little tiny blocks will be edited by the users. These systems were build for online collaboration, and are more robust for parallel access.

EN promised an overhaul of syncing for 2022. Maybe we get something similar - it would mean redesigning a lot, so wait and see.

• Thanks 1