Local Backup-Function of all Data

therob

Idea

I like to save my data in 2 independent systems. This gives me the security of being able to access my data in exceptional cases. If, for example, access to Evernote is no longer possible due to some external influence, I can still access my files.
I like a local backup of my data.

At the moment, Evernote can only back up 50 notes or one notebook at a time. And I have to repeat this process several times until all data is backed up. Such a backup of all data takes hours.

Please introduce a function to backup all data in one operation.

• Like 4

10 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

This has been raised and discussed a number of times in these forums.  You might want to track down the request and add your voice there. Otherwise, probably best to also give feedback direct to Evernote rather than via these largely user supported forums to ensure your voice is heard.  Feedback via the application feedback or open a support ticket.

FWIW, exporting other than via the Notebook export will lose the notebook structure of your notes.  This was true with the old legacy product too.

• Level 5

Just grab the Evernote folder on a desktop client, and save it using any backup software. Mac users running TimeMachine have the benefit that the folder will save with all the other data automatically. On Windows I use Acronis, and have set up a separate backup job that is running a daily backup of the EN folder, holding a number of versions. It saves to my NAS.

When you want to access it, you need to exchange the existing folder (rename it while the app is shut down, to be able to go back to it after accessing your backup) by the one containing the backup data. You open it with your EN client, that must have been logged in before you last closed it down. Go offline before you do this operation, because otherwise you will sync the old(er) backup data with the cloud server.

Another option is to run a full offline download to a mobile device - it will contain all notes plus the attached documents. You need a mobile device that has enough flash memory to hold your data. You can work offline on this copy, even when the EN server may not be available.

Before suggesting backing up the Evernote folder I would say be wary of trusting any online cloud services as there is no guarantee that these are stable over time. Sure, use backup software to a physical disk, but only use cloud backup as a way to access your files as simple as possible.

Every once in a while I do a manual backup of the Evernote folder to a different location on a separate (offline) backup drive. Just in case there are issues with notes that I don't notice immediately.

EDIT: It appears that my suggerstions refer to the Legacy app, where you can back up the entire folder. As far as I know you are right @therob, the only way to export properly in the new app seems to be exporting on notebook at the time, as the Evernote folder doesn't seem to contain all the content from the database. Correct me if I'm wrong! Otherwise, I hope there will be a better backup solution someday.

• Level 5

Stating it is „essential“ is one thing - better would be to explain why it is essential for you.

From design there is no need at all for a continuous backup - EN as a cloud service covers this end itself, on the server, in the background.

The export functions are more designed to move specific content out of EN, or as a one timer export all to move to another service.

I have been storing a lot of my information and documents in Evernote for over 10 years and I regularly back up this data via the legacy version.

Relying solely on an online solution for backing up data is not a good idea from the point of view of data security. what if the access data is lost. What if Evernote bans me from one day to the next due to unexplained circumstances. I live in Germany, what if the legal requirements for using Evernote change. What I'm getting at is Evernote is a single system and for important data I wouldn't rely solely on one system for backup. It would be like backing up a backup of one hard drive partition to another hard drive partition on the same hard drive. System-separate data backup is a matter of course and essential for me.

For me, a manual export function for all notes would be enough. I could then save this via a recurring task.

Backing up each notebook individually is a mammoth task with over 150 notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, therob said:

Do you know the file path? I only found the database path of the legacy version. A request to support also referred me to backing up the individual notebooks.

On Windows, look for C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote. The numerous inscrutable subfolders under there contain the notes database, attachments, and various other materials. Or perhaps partially scrutable: in discussions on these forums, this post confirms that AppData\Roaming\Evernote is the overall location; this one shows AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\User######## holds the attachments, while AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com has the note data in SQL files. If I were doing this, I would just copy all of C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote to the backup media, and let Evernote figure it out if I ever needed to restore it from a backup.

• Like 2