Saving and restoring window layouts

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I have a 4K monitor, thus a lot of screen real estate.

I have also topics, that I research on, that have a lot of notes associated with them.

When working on a certain topic, I'd like to have certain notes open in certain positions. To have an overview, to drag and drop from one note to another. To avoid switching notes and navigating all the time. Using Evernote Legacy as well, for the lost feature of opening notes in a different window/tab. I am hesitating to start work, when thinking about manually opening and arranging or navigating those notes...

How do you guys handle something like this? Any scripts or apps you can share?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sandro said:

Any scripts or apps you can share?

Hi.  Er,  no.

Evernote can open notes in their own window,  but there's no control over exactly where they will appear.  What you (I think) are imagining is a creator's dream scenario;  but sadly achieving that is not within the scope of this app.

You could link to all the notes you want open in one note so that you could more easily open your group by Ctrl (or Cmd for Mac) clicking them all from there (if you don't already). You'd still have to manually move and resize them though. There are window tile managers at the OS level that can help organize window positioning: Magnet for MacOS (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766?mt=12) or AquaSnap for Windows (https://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap).

I use Magnet on the Mac.

I wonder if there isn't a tile manager that will remember the window based on title or something and will auto reposition it to the last known location. I don't know of any that will take it that far though.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...

That is where I started the research today: With the idea of an Apple Script (on a Mac) to save and restore Window positions, but then it turned out, that the window object doesn't seem to contain any information about the note it represents other than the title of the window. 

I think Stay can work with the titles at least (https://cordlessdog.com/stay/documentation/window-title-pattern-matching/), but still it doesn't seem to be close enough to what I'd like

Regards,
Sandro

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Personally I doubt Apple Script will work. Think of EN v10 being a browser, with the app as front end.

The information is enclosed in the browser, not in the OS level. And AFAIK the framework used is not scriptable.

But wish you success - could open the door for other scripting as well.

Well, it is possible to script the opening of a specific note and some other things regarding the data itself.

But that is where the potential seems to end. You seem to be right in the windows only exposing OS level info and no note info

Case closed

Thanks

• Level 5

In the Windows Evernote app, you can open multiple notes in individual windows and quit Evernote, then when you start it up again all the notes will be reopened in position. But of course that's only helpful if you will always be working on the same project; and I don't know whether it works on a Mac. If you solve this, PLEASE come back here and let us know!

• Like 1