Local file link using %userprofile%

• Level 5

I'm using Evernote for Windows v. 10 on a Windows 10 laptop and v. 6 plus the Web client on an older Win7 desktop. I sometimes want to open a local file from within a note. The file will be in the same location in the directory structure on both machines, but the user names are different. I'm trying to link to something like file:///%userprofile%\Documents\{foldername}\{subfoldername}\Filename.docx. This works from the Windows Run dialog (with or without file:///), but Evernote regards it as a malformed link and will not act on it (and will not accept it at all without file:///). The same thing happens in the v. 10 desktop app and the Web client (haven't tried the old v. 6 yet). Any thoughts?

• Level 5*

No idea really,  but could you set up two separate links? If the differences between names are consistent,  you could even use Phrase Express (or similar) to output the right framework and copy/ paste the actual file name into the link.  Caveat: I don't know how to do that either,  but PE has some awesome 'user input' features to customise a standard phrase.

• Level 5

Two separate links is possible. But this is (hopefully) a temporary problem that will no longer exist when I'm fully migrated to the Win10 (to become Win11) laptop, and for now I don't want to drop in a lot of links that will need to be deleted later. A way to do it with %userprofile% would be a convenience for now though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I raised a support ticket on this, and after some struggle getting them to understand what I was talking about, they acknowledged that this is not currently possible. The rep passed it on to the development team. No commitment to getting it into the product (understandably), but at least it's on the long list.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just to mention it from the initial posting: I would not touch the bad, bad internet by a computer running Windows 7. It is an easy target for too many mishaps that are waiting in the dark corners of our WW-playground out there. By principle this can’t be circumvented by security software - it is like a house build on quicksand, where fixing the roof will not make it any safer.

From my experience, a computer that can run Win7 is able to run Win10 as well. And with the Windows license key installing Win10 is still possible, AFAIK without cost. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for the good reminder. The Win7 computer is still in use for a limited time, till I get the new one configured. Upgrading it to Win10 would have been a good idea 3 years ago; but I didn't, and now it would be a waste of time.

• Level 5

Actually I am not sure about this: There have been NEW devices even be sold in 2021 that are not able to upgrade to Win11.

Given the discussion about „planned obsolescence“ (a criminal offense for example in France today), I don‘t think Microsoft will pull the plug from Win10 in 2024 or 2025 already.