Evernote web takes minutes to load

I normally use the windows desktop app but it keeps crashing and not syncing, so I am now trying to use the web client. Unfortunately, it takes multiple minutes to do the initial loading. Anyone else experiencing this and have any suggestions on how to speed it up? Once its loaded, seems to be fine, but the initial loading is  definitely problematic (using Chrome on a PC)

Thanks!

• Level 5*

If you have an issue,  best option is to contact Support or give Evernote some direct feedback in one of the mobile apps.  We're (mostly) all users here,  so our best advice is clean up your system,  make sure nothing and no-one else is using your internet connection,  and try again.  As has already been suggested this may be a number of notes thing.  I have a new desktop on which - I have described elsewhere - Evernote for Windows is extremely fast.  But the Web version still lags terribly.  I have 56K notes in that database.

I also have a free test account with about 50 notes in it - the Web version of that opens up pretty quickly,  though still slower than the installed version.  But as @PinkElephant said;  the web version has to download everything it needs before it opens for business,  where the installed app already has a saved database to work from.

Thanks for the feedback. My internet connection is not shared and shows 60 mbps. I have 28,000 notes.

Unfortunately, I am stuck using the web version since the desktop app all of a sudden doesn't work and tech support is not responsive. Yesterday it wasn't syncing and lost notes, and today I tried reinstalling it and now only the note title shows up, NOT the content. I have been a loyal user for 15 years, but the instability and lack of support has been going on too long. Very disappointing.

• Level 5

Just made a fast check of how much data is downloaded when the web client is opened. It initially downloaded 17MB for me. This is 140 Mbit, give and take. Because there is some overhead in the connection, make it maybe 200 Mbit. So 3-4 seconds, plus the server reaction time, let us make it 6-8 seconds. You should be aware that this is calculated on an all cable connection. If on WiFi it will be slower, and depending on your WiFi network  situation it can be a lot slower.

In fact it does take more or less this time when I open it.

About the desktop client: Did you remove the local database when uninstalling ? This does not happen with the standard uninstall, because it is regarded as data, and not erased. From what little you told, it is likely there is something corrupted in the local database. If it is not erased before the reinstall, it will carry over, and the new install will hit the same problem again.

For a complete uninstall, either manually remove the "Evernote" folder, or use an uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller (PC).

• Like 1

Thanks. Did as you suggested and then reinstalled. Unfortunately, not Evernote won't even load. I just see the spinning green circle, followed by "sorry, we're having trouble loading Evernote". Wow, this is nuts.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, shekala said:

Did as you suggested and then reinstalled.

Hi.  Did you use Revo Uninstaller in the process?  If not,  try again (it kills files other uninstalls don't find) - otherwise I can only suggest you contact Support.

These Forums are mainly user 2 user - subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The spinning cycle usually means one of 2 things:

Free users only: Exceeding the device limit, the device is treated as a new one, all 2 slots are already taken.

Solution: Unsync other devices.

All users: Network connectivity problem. Can be caused by all sort of network issues, like firewalls, ab blockers (Pi-Hole or similar) or other blacklisting measures. To test this, use a different network. Take the laptop to a place with public WiFi, or connect to a mobile network through a personal hotspot. In any case disable all security software running on your computer.

If it then connects, enable all the fancy stuff one after the other until you found the problem. On foreign protected networks (like company networks) it is possible you can’t unblock the access. Then use mobile or the web client.

I get this a lot - but clearing the cache always works for me. I've even got a hotkey set up! I get "green circled" most days; sometimes twice a day. I know if there's no progress bar within a few seconds - or worse; I get the "Hold on while we get you back to work" pop-up - then I've got a reset coming. Web-only user; pro plan. I think it has something to do with having multiple instances of EN open across several virtual desktops.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The spinning cycle usually means one of 2 things:

Free users only: Exceeding the device limit, the device is treated as a new one, all 2 slots are already taken.

Solution: Unsync other devices.

All users: Network connectivity problem. Can be caused by all sort of network issues, like firewalls, ab blockers (Pi-Hole or similar) or other blacklisting measures. To test this, use a different network. Take the laptop to a place with public WiFi, or connect to a mobile network through a personal hotspot. In any case disable all security software running on your computer.

If it then connects, enable all the fancy stuff one after the other until you found the problem. On foreign protected networks (like company networks) it is possible you can’t unblock the access. Then use mobile or the web client.

Thank you. So, I tried connecting via my mobile hotspot and not only does Evernote load successfully, but all the notes appear (not just titles) - same computer, same security settings, etc. I don't want to drive you crazy about this (no one at Evernote is getting back to me...), but if you have any suggestions on what to do now that I see it is somehow related to my home internet connection, which works fine for all other applications. I even rebooted my router, but am encountering the same problem. Thank you!

• Level 5

Well, as I told there must be something on your home network blocking EN. 

Since there is a lot of possibilities, it is hard to tell from the outside. But the usual culprit is security software that has the application identified as a „thread“ and is cutting access.

You can only think about what may be installed, and disable it one by one until the access works,

• Evernote Expert

It can also be security stuff employed by your ISP. A colleague of mine had problems with some cloud services because his ISP had employed blocks to protect families and for fraud. It still blocked other services including Evernote. It took awhile to identify and find out how to opt out of the service.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, sch01ar said:

I get this a lot - but clearing the cache always works for me. I've even got a hotkey set up! I get "green circled" most days; sometimes twice a day. I know if there's no progress bar within a few seconds - or worse; I get the "Hold on while we get you back to work" pop-up - then I've got a reset coming. Web-only user; pro plan. I think it has something to do with having multiple instances of EN open across several virtual desktops.

Not sure this is the same problem as the one in the original post--but it is one that I have encountered many, many times over the last couple of years. For me, it is clearing the last hour's worth of cookies that usually does the job. This has been reported to Evernote support long ago. If they are still looking into it, it may simply be that the constant-sync model will cause this to happen from time to time and we're stuck with it. It's something about the way Evernote Web is handling cookies and/or caching--i.e., the stuff that EN Web itself is putting on your computer.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Every browser is constantly syncing, sort of. The web client is no exception, never was. The basic concept of the web client has not changed much. It still runs in a browser window - AFAIK there is no use of the framework for the web client. 

Thanks everyone. Well, the latest is that Evernote bombs out even if using my phone's hotspot. Finally got someone's attention in tech support, but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Wish me luck! This is truly insane.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I use Evernote from 2014 and have more than 11 thousands of notes. Just wanted to share that I feel and experience the same pain as you do. It is so upsetting when something that used to work as reliably as physical pen and paper is degrading for the last year or so. I believe that the root cause is that they don't test the app on accounts that have so many notes as old users do. And people with more than 10 thousands notes are suffering. And i'm not sure if migration to another app would have helped...

4 hours ago, Poker07@yandex.ru said:

I use Evernote from 2014 and have more than 11 thousands of notes. Just wanted to share that I feel and experience the same pain as you do. It is so upsetting when something that used to work as reliably as physical pen and paper is degrading for the last year or so. I believe that the root cause is that they don't test the app on accounts that have so many notes as old users do. And people with more than 10 thousands notes are suffering. And i'm not sure if migration to another app would have helped...

I have 22,000 notes and dont experience any problems with speed.

Edited by bmcl26
spelling correction