I just returned from my first big trade fair post covid. Have relied on evernote for more than a decade to quickly find names and information for these occasions when I need infos from the last time, which may be 2 or 3 years ago, and it worked perfectly all that time. But now it's quicker, though maybe a bit embarassing, to just ask, because in spite of a current phone and an internet connection that works for all other purposes, searching takes several minutes. And sometimes EN finds nothing at all although I know the info is in there somewhere.

Now back home, I'm scanning in info folders and business cards... like I used to, just a lot slower. Funnily enough, character recognition seems reasonnably speedy, but saving a note takes 25 to 30 seconds. Not Good.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, chronistin said:

I just returned from my first big trade fair post covid. Have relied on evernote for more than a decade to quickly find names and information for these occasions when I need infos from the last time, which may be 2 or 3 years ago, and it worked perfectly all that time. But now it's quicker, though maybe a bit embarassing, to just ask, because in spite of a current phone and an internet connection that works for all other purposes, searching takes several minutes. And sometimes EN finds nothing at all although I know the info is in there somewhere.

Now back home, I'm scanning in info folders and business cards... like I used to, just a lot slower. Funnily enough, character recognition seems reasonnably speedy, but saving a note takes 25 to 30 seconds. Not Good.

Yep, saving notes takes more than a minute, saving images takes several minutes sometimes, there is something very wrong with the latest release...

• Like 3

I got an answer from support:

"... I understand that you are experincing slow app performance after reinstalling your Evernote app. I apologize for the inconvenience this brings you. This is definitely not the experience we want you to have with Evernote.
 Upon checking, I am sorry to inform you that this is an ongoing issue that our development team is aware of. Please be assured that our development team is now working on improvements to the Evernote Android app performance. As it turns out, I'm unable to provide a time frame of when this will be fixed. As a best practice, please keep your Evernote software always updated as most fixes are pushed out through software updates..."

Ticket# 3516578

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Level 5

Just says (stripping the fluffy wording): We still struggle with the Android client, going into round 33 now.

EN on iOS is pretty usable for me since v10.6. So I doubt it is the mobile setup in general, must be something with Android or the huge diversity of makers, devices and added skins/bloatware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, chronistin said:

I can't believe that quality control hasn't blocked this release...

Have you already raised a ticket? EN needs to realize that this a high prio bug for all android users...

• Like 2
Just now, eric99 said:

I can't believe that quality control hasn't blocked this release...

Have you already raised a ticket? EN needs to realize that this a high prio bug for all android users...

I'm not ready to raise another ticket, my last encounter with support has traumatized me enough. Besides, the answer would probably be the same you got. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, chronistin said:

Besides, the answer would probably be the same you got. 

Maybe, but I asked support to sent my logfiles to development and they assured me that all tickets are passed to the developers. So the more info they have, the easier the debugging and the more pressure on this issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
25 minutes ago, lmsergio said:

I’ve been experiencing exactly the same on my Z Fold 3 for months now, while the iPhone works pretty well.  

Electron: write once, run everywhere... Yeah, right😏

• Level 5

AFAIK mobile is not on Electron - and the desktop clients work pretty good, if you skip some hiccups left and right.

Again my impression is that it runs better on Macs (since the M1 problem was sorted out) than on Windows.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

AFAIK mobile is not on Electron - and the desktop clients work pretty good, if you skip some hiccups left and right.

Again my impression is that it runs better on Macs (since the M1 problem was sorted out) than on Windows.

It doesn't matter whether electron or React, the promise that device specific stuff is properly handled by these frameworks is an illusion (illustrated by your examples above).

That said, I'm happy with the windows implementation. I think it's as good as the mac client...

• Like 2

Last days, the app became completely useless for me: saving notes took more than a minute, saving images took several minutes, adding tags more than 2 minutes before the list even appeared, syncing was completely dead...

Since support couldn't help me, I decided to debug it myself. I knew that it had to do with the fresh installation of the new release: before it was slow as well but at least it was still workable. I also noticed that it had to do with a communication problem since offline note search and retrieval was much more responsive.

So I checked all configuration settings for possible differences with my previous settings but couldn't find anything. Since communication was involved, I decided to switch off work chat and from then on, my evernote app became responsive as never before: saving, labeling, syncing, everything worked great again 😃  

Then I  switched on work chat again, and a little bit surprisingly it still keeps working fine.

Conclusion: or there is something wrong with work chat, or the default installed configuration is corrupted and is corrected ones it is saved again.

Anyhow, I'm a happy user again!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
On 5/23/2022 at 6:26 PM, eric99 said:

It doesn't matter whether electron or React, the promise that device specific stuff is properly handled by these frameworks is an illusion (illustrated by your examples above).

That said, I'm happy with the windows implementation. I think it's as good as the mac client...

yep, it's only as device-independent as the framework. Had Evernote decided to rewrite in Flutter or with Jetpack Compose we wouldn't have these problems and the UI would be much faster on all clients.

If there's one language I really dislike it's JavaScript ...

That being said, i've never had performance problems on Evernote v10 on Android and unless the framework they are using is doing things it shouldn't (somehow calling native code) Android devices are enormously similar for programming purposes (more similar than two different generations of iPhone).

On 5/24/2022 at 11:09 AM, eric99 said:

Last days, the app became completely useless for me: saving notes took more than a minute, saving images took several minutes, adding tags more than 2 minutes before the list even appeared, syncing was completely dead...

Since support couldn't help me, I decided to debug it myself. I knew that it had to do with the fresh installation of the new release: before it was slow as well but at least it was still workable. I also noticed that it had to do with a communication problem since offline note search and retrieval was much more responsive.

So I checked all configuration settings for possible differences with my previous settings but couldn't find anything. Since communication was involved, I decided to switch off work chat and from then on, my evernote app became responsive as never before: saving, labeling, syncing, everything worked great again 😃  

Then I  switched on work chat again, and a little bit surprisingly it still keeps working fine.

Conclusion: or there is something wrong with work chat, or the default installed configuration is corrupted and is corrected ones it is saved again.

Wow, worked for me too! Strange solution, but I'll take it. :)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, chronistin said:

Wow, worked for me too! Strange solution, but I'll take it. :)

Yeah, it keeps working for me as well.

Indeed a strange solution. I think the foreground process suffered resource starvation caused by some background process stuck in an endless communication loop.

Re-configuring the  work chat property seems to unlock this situation. It's up to the EN developers to have a closer look into this. I've added this info to the ticket.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2022 at 1:53 PM, eric99 said:

Yeah, it keeps working for me as well.

Indeed a strange solution. I think the foreground process suffered resource starvation caused by some background process stuck in an endless communication loop.

Re-configuring the  work chat property seems to unlock this situation. It's up to the EN developers to have a closer look into this. I've added this info to the ticket.

Today I experienced longer delays again. The activity log shows the following warnings: "conduit-core: Long mutex lock" for 8.74 seconds! . This confirms my 'resource starvation' hypothesis (a resource is taken from the foreground process for a long time). Hopefully, EN engineers can finally pinpoint the problem...

• Evernote Expert

I'm not sure if this says that Evernote is gobbling resources or that some other application is grabbing more than its fair share and thereby allowing other apps down. Whatever, I hope you have updated your ticket to ensure that the devs see your findings which they might not of just left here ;)

14 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I'm not sure if this says that Evernote is gobbling resources or that some other application is grabbing more than its fair share and thereby allowing other apps down. Whatever, I hope you have updated your ticket to ensure that the devs see your findings which they might not of just left here ;)

Well, as you probably know, a mutex lock (mutual exclusive lock) is used to grab a shared resource mutual exclusively (network, disk, all kind of resources that may not be accessed simultaneously by multiple processes). Normally, a resource should be locked as short as possible (milliseconds) , in this case it was 8.74 seconds😕

Yes, I've updated my ticket and attached this logfile as well. I hope they have a look at it.

• Thanks 1

I just discovered that a full logout (settings->Account->Log out),  makes the system very responsive again.  Is this because my notebook of 3500 notes isn't offline anymore, or because some persisted corrupted state has been reset, I don't know yet.

I won't make my notebook offline for a while, to see whether it stays responsive this way.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, eric99 said:

I just discovered that a full logout (settings->Account->Log out),  makes the system very responsive again.  Is this because my notebook of 3500 notes isn't offline anymore, or because some persisted corrupted state has been reset, I don't know yet.

I won't make my notebook offline for a while, to see whether it stays responsive this way.

Good to know.

As an aside, version 10.33 for Android is noticeably more performant for me - it's the single biggest performance increase in Evernote for Android since v10 was in pre-release beta. I don't believe it's in wide release yet, but would be interested in feedback once it rolls out widely. Overall performance was not mentioned in the release notes (only performance in one specific niche situation), so I'm quite curious whether others also see an overall performance improvement.

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

Good to know.

As an aside, version 10.33 for Android is noticeably more performant for me - it's the single biggest performance increase in Evernote for Android since v10 was in pre-release beta. I don't believe it's in wide release yet, but would be interested in feedback once it rolls out widely. Overall performance was not mentioned in the release notes (only performance in one specific niche situation), so I'm quite curious whether others also see an overall performance improvement.

Do you have offline notebooks and if so what is the size?

On 5/30/2022 at 8:03 AM, Paul A. said:

I have zero offline notebooks. 

One day after I logged out and started again without offline notebooks,  my app isn't responsive anymore.

This is frequently logged: "WARN:conduit-core: Performance: you are querying  un-indexed fields..." 

On 5/31/2022 at 1:27 PM, eric99 said:

One day after I logged out and started again without offline notebooks,  my app isn't responsive anymore.

This is frequently logged: "WARN:conduit-core: Performance: you are querying  un-indexed fields..." 

Interesting. I checked my activity log and there were one or two of those, but not many. The vast majority of my log entries begin with "INFO" - it seems to be a pretty verbose log.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:09 AM, eric99 said:

@eric99 very clever, thank you for sharing your process and your solution. I shared it with someone on the Evernote subreddit that seemed to be having similar problems. I understand the perceived benefit of the shared codebase, but it sure does seem to cause a lot of headaches as well. Hopefully the developers will get a handle on it soon.

5 hours ago, scojjac said:

I understand the perceived benefit of the shared codebase, but it sure does seem to cause a lot of headaches as well. Hopefully the developers will get a handle on it soon.

This is the  Law of Conservation of Misery:  when you try to decrease the misery in one aspect of a system, you will increase the misery in some of the other aspects 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There has been noticeable improvement lately (last couple of updates) ...in my case, anyway. Although the app is still very slow to start, and there are some challenges with sync, it's now at least somewhat usable.

I'm feeling that things are finally beginning to go in the right direction. Looking forward to the next update.

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert

It is really difficult to know what to suggest. There is nothing that seems to be consistent. Some users, like me, have no problems at all. For others the v10 app seems to be snail like. 

The only thing I've noticed is that more users with problems report using Samsung phones. But that is hardly conclusive. Samsung has a significant market share.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:11 PM, janndk said:

There has been noticeable improvement lately (last couple of updates) ...in my case, anyway. Although the app is still very slow to start, and there are some challenges with sync, it's now at least somewhat usable.

I'm feeling that things are finally beginning to go in the right direction. Looking forward to the next update.

Unfortunately, I was too quick to praise Evernote's progress 🤥 The app is faster to launch, but opening and saving notes has generally become much slower than before. Everything went somewhat ok, but has gotten worse and worse recently - sometimes it takes 15 minutes to save just a simple grocery list 😞

17 minutes ago, janndk said:

Unfortunately, I was too quick to praise Evernote's progress 🤥 The app is faster to launch, but opening and saving notes has generally become much slower than before. Everything went somewhat ok, but has gotten worse and worse recently - sometimes it takes 15 minutes to save just a simple grocery list 😞

Yeah, please raise a ticket, EN needs to know that this is a major problem for many/most android users...

edit: do you have offline notebooks?

37 minutes ago, eric99 said:

edit: do you have offline notebooks?

I didn't use offline notebooks before - but have actually activated some of them today, just prior to my post, to see if it helps or not.

All this is very frustrating. I have very simple needs, and mostly use very simple notes (text and tasks, and sometimes with a pic from Evernotes camera).

On 6/24/2022 at 6:37 PM, janndk said:

I didn't use offline notebooks before - but have actually activated some of them today, just prior to my post, to see if it helps or not.

All this is very frustrating. I have very simple needs, and mostly use very simple notes (text and tasks, and sometimes with a pic from Evernotes camera).

Been testing with and without offline notes activated. The app is a bit faster when using offline notes while in wifi. When using mobile net, it doesn't really seem to make any significant difference if offline notes or not. Slow! 😒

I'm giving up now, and have already written to Evernote customer support and asked for a refund. Beginning to migrate to some other note taking app - or to a couple of different apps, as Evernote is unfortunately very difficult to replace. Evernote would be perfect if it just wasn't so insanely sluggish 😭

• Like 1
5 hours ago, janndk said:

een testing with and without offline notes activated. The app is a bit faster when using offline notes while in wifi. When using mobile net, it doesn't really seem to make any significant difference if offline notes or not. Slow! 😒

What device / Android version are you running?

10 hours ago, Paul A. said:

What device / Android version are you running?

My main mobile device is Samsung XCover 4s, android 11. (Also occasionally using Lenovo android tablet and Nokia android mobile).

I was at the Post Office today. I was handed my receipt and started up Evernote on my Android phone to take a picture of it. I got embarrassed with how long it was taking to get the photo. I pocketed the receipt and went home and scanned it there instead. With the old native app I would have been able to scan it in seconds. 

I know I can load the old app but then I would lost tasks, etc. Hopefully the team can speed this app up. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, janndk said:

Just a simple comparison: taking a picture note with Evernote (49 sec) vs Onenote (20 sec).

And even 20 seconds is still bad:  legacy took a few seconds to complete this job (even on old less performant mobiles)!

The development time saved by writing a single code base running on electron or react, is completely lost by debugging and "solving" the catastrophic side effects on the different platforms...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I just scanned a receipt in Android v10.34.1 which took 17s.

To be transparent, Evernote had been opened on my phone previously so that the loading time for the application was shorter than it would have been if it was the first time using the app today.  I restarted the phone and with the load time for the whole application the duration was 22s.

OnePlus 8 running Android 12.

@janndkInteresting results. And nicely done with the videos; they show very clearly the difference in performance between Evernote and OneNote on your device.

I will say that I replicated your test on my Android phone (Pixel 6 Pro running Android 12), and my times are roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of yours (i.e. 3-4x faster). I don't have OneNote installed and I'm sure it would be even faster than EN, so I just mention this to say you can look forward to significantly faster performance if/when you upgrade to a newer and more performant Android device.

I'm not familiar with the phone you have, but I briefly looked up the specs and it appears to have 3GB of RAM and a mid-range processor from around 2018. Just speculation on my part, but perhaps EN has been optimized for devices with more RAM. If you're able to borrow a different device (with more RAM or faster processor or both), perhaps you can test to get a feel whether the performance increase is meaningful enough to make a difference for you.

52 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

@janndkInteresting results. And nicely done with the videos; they show very clearly the difference in performance between Evernote and OneNote on your device.

I will say that I replicated your test on my Android phone (Pixel 6 Pro running Android 12), and my times are roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of yours (i.e. 3-4x faster). I don't have OneNote installed and I'm sure it would be even faster than EN, so I just mention this to say you can look forward to significantly faster performance if/when you upgrade to a newer and more performant Android device.

I'm not familiar with the phone you have, but I briefly looked up the specs and it appears to have 3GB of RAM and a mid-range processor from around 2018. Just speculation on my part, but perhaps EN has been optimized for devices with more RAM. If you're able to borrow a different device (with more RAM or faster processor or both), perhaps you can test to get a feel whether the performance increase is meaningful enough to make a difference for you.

Yes, i'm aware that my mobile isn't the fastest on the market - but I need it to be robust and waterproof, and there aren't so many to choose from.

A newer Xcover model is available, but to buy a new mobile just because Evernote (and only Evernote) is slow, is not an optimal solution. All other apps than Evernote are performing quite nicely.

I'm using Onenote as a comparison, as it used to be "the crappy one" - slow to use, slow to update. So when Evernote is much slower than Onenote, then something is terribly wrong.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, janndk said:

Yes, i'm aware that my mobile isn't the fastest on the market - but I need it to be robust and waterproof, and there aren't so many to choose from.

A newer Xcover model is available, but to buy a new mobile just because Evernote (and only Evernote) is slow, is not an optimal solution. All other apps than Evernote are performing quite nicely.

I realize you're not necessarily looking to upgrade, but a new Xcover was just announced today. It will come with 6GB of RAM, double your current phone's RAM, and presumably a significantly faster processor among other features. Something to keep an eye on when your current phone dies or no longer meets your needs...

Some details below:

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-xcover-6-pro-announcement

3 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I realize you're not necessarily looking to upgrade, but a new Xcover was just announced today. It will come with 6GB of RAM, double your current phone's RAM, and presumably a significantly faster processor among other features. Something to keep an eye on when your current phone dies or no longer meets your needs...

Some details below:

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-xcover-6-pro-announcement

Thanks for the tip. I have actually seen that too, and will probably buy Xcover 6 when available 🤗

But Evernote still needs to fix the app! 😒

• Like 2

Today, manual sync on my android client never completed and the app was terribly slow again.  Fully terminating the EN app (no logout), didn't help.

After a cold restart of my android phone, everything worked again as before (still too slow but workable).

This is caused by permanent intensive caching in the EN client, attempting to improve or hide the poor performance of the electron/react client. Even if you terminate EN, the state is still hibernated, inclusive corrupted state of the previous session. So EN will start again in the same inconsistent state, even if you terminated the app before. This is how EN developers "improved" the startup time (and made the app much more fragile)  🙄

Apparently, restarting your device is sufficient to get rid of the hibernated corrupted state, so no EN logout was required this time

On 6/30/2022 at 12:16 PM, hazekumar0 said:

"... I understand that you are experincing slow app performance after reinstalling your Evernote app. I apologize for the inconvenience this brings you. This is definitely not the experience we want you to have with Evernote.

Sounds familiar 😀

On 7/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, eric99 said:

Today, manual sync on my android client never completed and the app was terribly slow again.  Fully terminating the EN app (no logout), didn't help.

After a cold restart of my android phone, everything worked again as before (still too slow but workable).

This is caused by permanent intensive caching in the EN client, attempting to improve or hide the poor performance of the electron/react client. Even if you terminate EN, the state is still hibernated, inclusive corrupted state of the previous session. So EN will start again in the same inconsistent state, even if you terminated the app before. This is how EN developers "improved" the startup time (and made the app much more fragile)  🙄

Apparently, restarting your device is sufficient to get rid of the hibernated corrupted state, so no EN logout was required this time

After a few days, got stuck in an endless sync loop again. Restarting my android phone made the sync responsive again. So at least there is a workaround to get my data synced on my mobile. Hopefully this bug will be finally solved in the next release. I hope that the legacy team will have a look at these low level sync and performance  problems (if they weren't replaced by web developers, lost in a thousand layers of (electron) abstractions).

• Thanks 1

i regularly scan receipts and documents into EN using my Phone and don't have any issues.  I have on occassios used the phone for some pretty intense EN use and again don't notice any problem.

My phone is not the fastest on the Planet (Samsung A70 running Android 11) EN 10.32.1 (1123721) Beta.  Desktop   Windows 11 Pro 21H2 (OS Build 22000.778) EN 10.36.2 (3366) Beta ,  

4 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

i regularly scan receipts and documents into EN using my Phone and don't have any issues.  I have on occassios used the phone for some pretty intense EN use and again don't notice any problem.

My phone is not the fastest on the Planet (Samsung A70 running Android 11) EN 10.32.1 (1123721) Beta.  Desktop   Windows 11 Pro 21H2 (OS Build 22000.778) EN 10.36.2 (3366) Beta ,  

Good to hear. This means there is hope 🙂😉

How long time it takes an average to scan a document and save it? Is it a few seconds, or a minute maybe?

1 hour ago, janndk said:

How long time it takes an average to scan a document and save it? Is it a few seconds, or a minute maybe?

15 - 20 secs max normally, on the few occassions it has tended to be slower I usally go into Device Care in settings and optimize the free memoy which usually has the resired effect.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, janndk said:

Good to hear. This means there is hope 🙂😉

The A70 has 6GB of RAM. That lines up with my guess - that the relatively low amount of RAM on your phone (by modern phone standards) is the most likely culprit of your severe performance issues. Would be interesting to get some more data points from people with lower amounts of RAM on their phones. And of course we can still hope for more Evernote memory optimization in the future, though I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. 😕 

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

The A70 has 6GB of RAM. That lines up with my guess - that the relatively low amount of RAM on your phone (by modern phone standards) is the most likely culprit of your severe performance issues. Would be interesting to get some more data points from people with lower amounts of RAM on their phones. And of course we can still hope for more Evernote memory optimization in the future, though I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. 😕 

Yeah, mine has 4 GB's of ram.  Legacy ran at full speed  on my S4 with  0.5 GB only.  Electron/react apps are very bad for the planet, they force users to switch phones every 3 years causing e-waste and a waste of energy as well. This kind of lazy programming should be forbidden by law.

Evernote Android 10.35 (1123791) update today!  Am i dreaming? Or did Evernote just get much faster!?

Taking and saving a picture notes: avarage about 30 sec (app not started) or 20 sec (app already running). Almost double speed compared to last version. Taking and saving a task note: about 15-20 sec = three times faster than before! 😲😃😘

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, janndk said:

Evernote Android 10.35 (1123791) update today!  Am i dreaming? Or did Evernote just get much faster!?

Taking and saving a picture notes: avarage about 30 sec (app not started) or 20 sec (app already running). Almost double speed compared to last version. Taking and saving a task note: about 15-20 sec = three times faster than before! 😲😃😘

Yeah, it seems to be much faster, let's hope that it stays that way!

Edit: sync is impressive as well 🤞

• Like 2

I tested it very thoroughly now  and the app stays very responsive, with fast sync in both directions!  This is a major improvement. The EN client on mid-range android phones can finally be used for quick note taking again  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

I tested it very thoroughly now  and the app stays very responsive, with fast sync in both directions!  This is a major improvement. The EN client on mid-range android phones can finally be used for quick note taking again  🙂

That's great news. The latest version hasn't been offered to my phone yet so I haven't had a chance to test yet. What specifically about syncing speed do you see improved? Is there a reduction in lag between a change made on phone (or desktop) from showing up on the other platform?

2 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

That's great news. The latest version hasn't been offered to my phone yet so I haven't had a chance to test yet. What specifically about syncing speed do you see improved? Is there a reduction in lag between a change made on phone (or desktop) from showing up on the other platform?

Sure, a dramatic reduction to one minute, sometimes a couple of minutes max (automatically, no manual sync required!)

6 hours ago, eric99 said:

Sure, a dramatic reduction to one minute, sometimes a couple of minutes max (automatically, no manual sync required!)

By automatic, does that even happen in the background (with the app not in the foreground?) If so, that would be a very nice improvement.

I'm relived to see this is a systemic failure on the part of the software rather than limited to my situation. 

I got an Android 11 tablet just about a year ago specifically to take notes and research with, and from the beginning Evernote was so slow as to be unusable on it. After sending the original tablet back for replacement on suspicion it was a hardware failure, the better part of a year of several support tickets which more or less ended with me losing enthusiasm more than resolving the basic issues, I've gone to a hybrid use, cutting out a lot of Evernote and using Dropbox to manually take notes and organize them, which is, incredibly, typically faster than using the app. I also reduced my subscription.

I've had the app on many phones and kindles (since 2013) and tho my tablet is entry-level, it's probably better equipped than some of those phones and certainly a magnitude better than any of those kindles, yet it does basic functions, like opening the app and creating a new note at multiples of the speed it occurred on those slower bits of hardware—certainly three times as long, sometimes four times as long, but I don't think I'm being hyperbolic (atleast evaluating it a year ago) to say it could take 10 times as long with the Android 11 app. It literally took (and once in a while still takes) longer to open the app and create a note to start writing than the actual typing of a two sentence note to myself.

4 hours ago, Paul A. said:

By automatic, does that even happen in the background (with the app not in the foreground?) If so, that would be a very nice improvement.

As far as I can test, there is no background sync unfortunately. However, due to the fast sync, it's less of a problem now.

Edit: My last test shows that it does sync in background, but it polls at a much lower frequency.

• Thanks 1

You should be able to Fix your Slow Android Phone or Tablet, using steps as provided below.

1. Close All Apps
Depending on the make and model of Android Phone, you can close All Apps by tapping on the Task button (on bottom bezel) or by swiping up on the screen to access the Clear All or Close All option.

2. Restart Android Phone
Restarting the device helps in terminating stuck process and Apps, which might be preventing your phone from functioning normally.

Completely Power OFF your Device > Wait for 30 seconds > press the Power Button to Restart your device.

Restarting the device basically acts like a cleansing process, shutting down stuck processes, refreshing the memory and reloading the operating system on your Android Phone.

3. Install Updates
Make sure that your device is running the latest version of Android operating system.

Go to Settings > About Device > Software Update > Update Now option.

Manually Update the Software Now Option on Android phone

Wait for your device to check for software updates and install updates (if available).

4. Clear Cached Data
If you haven’t cleared the Cache on your Android Phone for a while, it is likely to have a ton of outdated cached, some of which may even be corrupted.

1. Go to Settings > Storage > Cached Data.

Cached Data Option on Android Phone
2. On the confirmation pop-up, tap on Delete to remove all the Cached Data from your device.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

• Like 1
On 7/6/2022 at 11:00 PM, Paul A. said:

In working through a support ticket for persistent issues, I was informed by support that background syncing is NOT available in the Evernote App for Android.

I've noticed notes sync much faster in this version so imho the app is actually useable for webclipping again, but it's still crazy the app can't sync without having to babysit it, like any other app. 

4 hours ago, abaczkowski said:

I was informed by support that background syncing is NOT available in the Evernote App for Android.

Strange, I just did the test again and it does update in background on my android phone (I didn't terminate the EN client, just clicked away in background).

However, as I said before, background sync can be slow (5 up to 20 minutes maybe)

Please do the test yourself (with version 10.35)

The redesign of Evernote around version 10 for Mac also made the Android version very slow. I am still using v7 on Mac b/c it is so much faster than v10. I wish I could find the older version of the Android app. Evernote is adding features and reducing usability at an alarming rate.

• Like 1
On 7/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, eric99 said:

I tested it very thoroughly now  and the app stays very responsive, with fast sync in both directions!  This is a major improvement.

In the mean time, performance has deteriorated to the point as it was before, fortunately sync in both directions is still ok...

• 2 weeks later...

Android version 10.36 seems to have faster note creation (again). Let's hope it's permanent now 🙄 .  I also noticed that sync lag, which was already good, further improved substantially 😀

• Like 1
11 hours ago, agsteele said:

I believe that has been the case for awhile but, yes, it is more convenient than going via the settings menu.

Yeah, I know that it already did something, refreshing the screen or so, but I wasn't aware of a full sync...

On 7/29/2022 at 3:59 PM, eric99 said:

Android version 10.36 seems to have faster note creation (again). Let's hope it's permanent now 🙄 .  I also noticed that sync lag, which was already good, further improved substantially 😀

After one week, syncing is still ok, however saving a simple note (a few lines of text)  takes more than one minute again. Restarting the phone didn't help.  EN logout solved the problem this time. Unfortunately, logout removes my offline notes and it takes a week to reload them (3600 notes only)

Anyhow, this proves again that long-term caching is very bad as long as EN for android is buggy and unstable. It would be much better if restarting EN (without logout), would clear all caches and perform a cold start.

• Like 1

Just a thought: if EN runs only on flagships with 8 GB of RAM, why do we still need the EN server to process the queries and other stuff on line?  I think the flagships can do this much faster and also much more secure because the data may stay encrypted at the server side al the time.

Or to put it differently: if EN clients do not run on mid-range phones with 4 GB of ram, the whole evernote concept breaks...

• Level 5

You are thinking engineer‘s thoughts.

Management thinks like that: When we keep it on the server, we can tune who (in terms of subscriptions)gets what, without a need to distribute and control different software for different subscribers.

One server 💍 to control them all …