Android - Web Clip is only a link and not a complete article

Hi,

is it normal, that web clipping on Android with Firefox or  Chrome browser Evernote only saves a link and not the whole web page/post?

In the former Android versions (legacy) and at Evernote Desktop I can clip a whole web page or post and so I need it at Android.

This happens no matter what website or blog post I try to clip.

How can I web clip a whole blog post or web page and not only a link as you can see it in the screenshot?

Thank you.

- - - - - -

• Android 10

• Samsung Galaxy Note 9

• Chrome & Firefox for Android

• Evernote 10.32.2

20220522_111943.jpg

• Evernote Expert

Web clipping on the desktop, which you mention, uses a specifically created browser add-on. So can do things that aren't possible on mobile and works in an entirely different way.

On mobile devices, as you know, sending a web page to Evernote uses the OS 'Share' function so depends on what the browser in use does when sharing the web page to another application. For this reason I tend not to refer to web clipping on mobile since this can suggest that it is the same process as the desktop clipper which it isn't.

I currently use an Android 12 based device with Evernote v10.32.2. My browser of choice is Duck Duck Go. When I choose to share the web page with Evernote I get the expected web page content in my mobile version of Evernote.

I do recall seeing that other apps only receive the URL when using Share although I'm not sure that I had to do anything to make this work.

Can you describe the steps to reproduce your experience? It may be that I'm doing something subtly different to you...

Just now I checked as follows:

1. Open a web page in the browser
  2. In the browser menu tap Share
  3. Select Evernote as the destination
  4. Evernote opens the save dialogue. Choose the options you desire and tap Save
  5. Wait a moment or two for the captured page to appear in the Evernote application. I think I have had issues in the past if I jump off to something else without waiting for Evernote to complete the capture. So I wait although I'm not sure if I need to.

Of course, it is possible that specific websites might be coded to prevent sharing (although I don't think I ever saw that other than with my bank website).

Please forget the desktop version. It's clear to me that you can't compare it to mobile.
But in earlier versions of Evernote Android you could clip entire web articles, which apparently no longer works with the new EN version, no matter what browser I use (Firefox or Chrome) and no matter what website it is.

I did it exactly as you described with 1-5, and yes, I wait until the clipping pop-up is ready with saving. And in fact it has been saved, that is not the problem. But I see only the link to the website and a short text snippet - not the entire post.

By the way:

it is the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S7 tablet and Android 11 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and Android 10.
Both are different devices with different Android, but both use the latest Evernote Android version from Google PlayStore!
So I think it has something to do with the Evernote Android itself.

Example:

• Blog post that I want to clip completely from Android (Firefox or Chrome) to Evernote:

https://danielsmith.com/product-updates/a-bouquet-of-red-pink-and-violet-daniel-smith-quinacridone-watercolors/

• Result in Evernote looks like this:

https://www.evernote.com/l/ANKN2GZWR-s9jQuV83WfmLVgvBem9VIQhjs/

The following screenshots show my steps; you you please check how this post turns up at your Evernote, when you clip it with an Android device to Evernote?
Thank you!

en1.jpg

en2.jpg

en3.jpg

en4.jpg

• Evernote Expert

I concur that the desktop version is red herring.

However, I'm not experiencing the issue that you describe. I tested on the URL you provided and, as you can see, all worked as anticipated.

Screenshot_2022-05-23-12-51-24-72_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.jpg

Thank you!

I got it working now:

Posts are now clipped complete with Firefox and Chrome at Android:

I cleared the cache of Firefox, deleted the data as well, and cleared the cache of the Evernote Android App, too --> worked!

Then I checked it with Chrome where I haven't cleared the cache --> worked, too.

So the problem seems to be solved by clearing the cache of the Evernote app.

Now it works. Thanks for your input!

Edited by BEHA
additional text concerning Chrome
  • Like 1