Thoughts on Evernote Windows Version 10...

• Level 5*

OK so I've been operating a strict 'no updates' policy on my last public version of 6.25.1 for - what is it: 2 years so far? On the basis that the new Web version slowed one laptop to a crawl and froze my other slightly less well equipped lappy stone dead,  and since I'm here to complete various tasks - and not blindly upgrade to the latest shiny app - I didn't want to risk cutting myself off from my most valuable source of information (that's you,  Evernote!).

And then I got a new desktop.  It's a top-o'the-line Dell XPS (32GB) with a 1TB SSD,  go faster stripes and the latest processor (which,  my spouse advises me,  is my last ever unsupervised purchase...)

So I risked installing v10 for a trial.  And what a revelation!  With (as of today) 56,367 notes,  300+ notebooks and some 33GB of database I'm getting near instant loads / searches / updates on edit - the thing is faster than I've ever seen Evernote operate in over a decade!  On my Rolls Royce of desktops it flies!  (There's a very British expression involving whippet poo and shiny shovels which -just about- adequately expresses my enthusiasm here.)

To be fair ALL of my software now works like it was just given extra horses,  and working is suddenly as much of a pleasure as it's ever going to be.

Kudos though to The Team,  whomever and wherever you may be for developing what now looks to be a much improved version of the 'old' software - subject to those continuing minor annoyances of 50 limits and NO LOCAL BACKUP - which is why 6.25 will continue to grace the Dell lappy so it and Backupery can keep my last line of defence up to date.

I think we can all guess what sort of kit your average Evernote employee is working on - so as far as the team is aware things must seem pretty rosy in Evernote land.  Please note however that 98% of us aren't in a cosy corporate environment,  and do not have the latest kit to run our software.  PLEASE try to make this easier for those who have lesser spec kit  - maybe even add a few old devices to your QA team so they can give you informed feedback (heck - give one to Ian Small;  I bet he'd be interested in a bit of backward compatibility!)

So:  TL/DR - Well done everyone for the new app...  now if it was just a leetle faster on older kit... (and backups.  Did I mention BACKUPS?)

• Like 4

Nice laptop. 

I think the SSD helps loads. I have a banged up dell Inspiron, an old knackered Hewlett Packard from 2012 and a Lenovo 2 in 1 thing. All 8Gb and i3 or i5 but I made sure I replaced hard drives with ssd's. 

They all fly like the wind and so does EN. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

….. no local backup ….

Make sure the „Save a copy of my data on the local drive“ is enabled (usually it is).

Then just have any backup software run a backup of the local Evernote folder. Done.

You just need a working EN client for a restore. And opposite to what some people tell: When the internet has stopped working on us, Googles datacenters (where EN is hosted) have gone offline and we have no juice to ramp up our PCs - it will not be the first thing that crosses our mind to run a restore of our EN database. 

We don’t even need it - there is still offline access to the local copy on our drive (as long as we stay logged in locally - works without having internet).

I really do not see the additional backup as a priority that would make me pay the double (!) of my EN subscription just to have Backuppery work some magic on a legacy install.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

I really do not see the additional backup as a priority that would make me pay the double (!) of my EN subscription just to have Backuppery work some magic on a legacy install.

Up to now I've not had the option of simply backing up the EN folder - I do,  anyway as part of my overall system backup,  but getting back to individual notes or even notebooks hasn't been easily possible with an EXB backup.  I know there is a way to extract notebooks from an EXB as ENEX files,  but that requires some fiddling around with the Legacy client.  Backupery is in line with my ambition to have an automatic backup and an easy restore should I ever need it.

If you're right* about a copy the local drive being sufficient to revive a database (or,  presumably part of one...) then I am definitely tempted by the ability to cut costs (that need is probably stronger here in the UK than it is in most of the rest of the world). 

* I don't mean to doubt you with the 'if you're right' sentiment here,  but that's my data we're talking about.  I'll need to do a few tests to see how things really work with my own eyes!

-And I do think that a good local backup of your Evernote account is essential for anyone using the apps - I've never yet had a need to use mine,  but it would add some value to the 'free' app since users would no longer have to completely rely on their data being safe and available 24/7 on a third party server.  

• Level 5
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

And then I got a new desktop.  It's a top-o'the-line Dell XPS (32GB) with a 1TB SSD,  go faster stripes and the latest processor (which,  my spouse advises me,  is my last ever unsupervised purchase...)

My spouse, fortunately, never says that, given that she herself is in the midst of a campaign to empty out eBay. But you might spin it like this: I buy technology for the future. I only need to buy something like this every 10 years or so. So I'm expressing my confidence that we're going to live another 10 years and still remember our logins. It's just my natural sunny optimism. Surely she'll go for that. :)

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

(There's a very British expression involving whippet poo and shiny shovels which -just about- adequately expresses my enthusiasm here.)

Sorry, you're going to have spell that out, or at least give a link. Online searches reveal only a disturbingly vast area of the Interwebs taken up by dogs with dysfunctional poos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

(There's a very British expression involving whippet poo and shiny shovels which -just about- adequately expresses my enthusiasm here.)

Sorry, you're going to have spell that out, or at least give a link. Online searches reveal only a disturbingly vast area of the Interwebs taken up by dogs with dysfunctional poos.

I'm curious now. Also British and can't think of this expression. Maybe it's a Yorkshire thing 'cos everyone in Yorkshire has a Whippet and Flat Cap 😂

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  I thought my variation was more widely known.  You'll need this for a basis [TRIGGER WARNING - refers to biological processes and fossil fuels!]  https://bit.ly/3GaBSEM - and given that scenario,  you'll understand that the output of a racing dog and use of a shiny shovel is going to move even faster!

:D :D 

• Like 1
On 5/21/2022 at 7:35 PM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I thought my variation was more widely known.  You'll need this for a basis [TRIGGER WARNING - refers to biological processes and fossil fuels!]  https://bit.ly/3GaBSEM - and given that scenario,  you'll understand that the output of a racing dog and use of a shiny shovel is going to move even faster!

:D :D 

It was the Whippet bit that confused me 😂

Whippets used to be known as the poor man's racehorse!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

It was the Whippet bit that confused me

Well,  I'm in Wales now,  but I was born in the Potteries (that's the middle of the Midlands for any non-UK people here) - maybe that was a local expression.  Dog racing was certainly popular when I was growing up.  :)

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

All clear now. 🤣 I grew up on a farm and definitely understand the imagery. Never heard that one, though; it must not have gotten shoveled across the pond.

For those who click that link, I would disregard the first entry about the railroad fireman. I mean really. People sometimes can't accept the simplicity of a bit of colloquial wisdom and have to give it a back-story (you should pardon the expression). IMHO, people who do that don't know 😬 from Shinola (an expression that, my wife says, her mother and grandmother favored).

What was this thread about again?

• Haha 2