(Archived) Deleting Stacks & Folders

Brookeview

Idea

5 replies to this idea

Or contextual menu Delete Stack.

I think that could be cOnFuSiNg. Deleting an entire notebook deletes the notes within the notebook. Similarly, deleting an entire folder/directory on a hard drive deletes all files within that folder/directory. OTOH, deleting a stack doesn't delete the notebooks. Yes, a message could be added, after selecting "delete stack" that states the notebooks will not be deleted But I'm sure many users wouldn't get that far b/c they are fearful all the notebooks in the stack & all the notes in the notebooks in the stack would be deleted.

FWIW, (IMO), stacks were created in an effort to have sub-notebooks that many people were clamoring for. However, stacks are not the same as parent notebooks/folders & trying to think of them as such will only serve to confuse. I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking that's why EN made the behaviour of stacks differently enough from notebooks & gave them the name 'stacks'...

Or contextual menu Delete Stack.

I think that could be cOnFuSiNg. Deleting an entire notebook deletes the notes within the notebook. Similarly, deleting an entire folder/directory on a hard drive deletes all files within that folder/directory. OTOH, deleting a stack doesn't delete the notebooks. Yes, a message could be added, after selecting "delete stack" that states the notebooks will not be deleted But I'm sure many users wouldn't get that far b/c they are fearful all the notebooks in the stack & all the notes in the notebooks in the stack would be deleted.

FWIW, (IMO), stacks were created in an effort to have sub-notebooks that many people were clamoring for. However, stacks are not the same as parent notebooks/folders & trying to think of them as such will only serve to confuse. I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking that's why EN made the behaviour of stacks differently enough from notebooks & gave them the name 'stacks'...

Hello BnF. Yes, confusing. And there is sort of a confirm dialog that let's you know that the notebooks won't be deleted. That's why here ( http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20779&start=25#p87809 ) I mention changing the Delete Stack menu item to Unstack All.

Stacking and its implementation is a concept idiosyncratic to EN. There's going to be a learning curve for most of us.

Stacking and its implementation is a concept idiosyncratic to EN. There's going to be a learning curve for most of us.

True. But IME, it's like a few minutes, tops. There's just not that much to stacks. Either you're stacked or you're not.

(Alas, I'm in the latter group.)

Archived