IS IT POSSIBLE TO DISABLE EVERNOTE MAC AND USE EVERNOTE WEB ONLY, TO REMOVE FILES AND FREE UP STORAGE SPACE ON MAC?

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

EN is taking up 80gb on my mac. I only have a 250gb SSD card as my hard drive and it's now at capacity. I would like to uninstall the desktop app and delete the locally saved files, and use evernote web exclusively. Can anyone tell me what the process is, to do this safely so i don't lose the files saved in the cloud? I've read that you can just uninstall the desktop app without any problems. But how do you stop the cloud syncing with locally stored files? I assume i would need to do this before deleting the files? Thanks for your assistance. Emma

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  So uninstall the various apps already and just use the browser.  What's the worst that could happen?  Don't delete any files,  but just uninstall your app.  No more local storage,  just web access.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  So uninstall the various apps already and just use the browser.  What's the worst that could happen?  Don't delete any files,  but just uninstall your app.  No more local storage,  just web access.

Thanks @gazumped, yes I have uninstalled the EN for Mac app, but all the locally saved files are still on my hard drive. I need to remove them bc I need the hard drive space.

If I were to move them to an external hard drive (effectively deleting them from my internal hard drive) would this sync to the cloud and make me lose all the files in EN web?

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, EmmaKate.Online said:

EN is taking up 80gb on my mac. 

Evernote is a cloud service; your data is stored in the cloud    
Local storage is an option specified in Evernote preferences (save data at logout)      
Disable this option and the local data copy will be removed

>I have uninstalled the EN for Mac app, but all the locally saved files are still on my hard drive

Just delete the folders/files   
There is no syncing when using the web version

• Like 2

Thank you guys! 🙏

I de-selected 'save files on exit' in the mac app, but it only cleared 10GB.

So i used the AppCleaner to delete the files (and then emptied the trash) - and just got back 135GB!!!!!!! Wow, it feels so good to have all that space back, its been bugging me for years. And i thought it was only taking up 80GB.

But OMG 😱 pressing delete on the AppCleaner was the scariest thing i've ever done!!! I need to breathe again.

I've just logged into EN web and all my files are still there thank god. So a massive shout out to you all for your help.You are legends and i am so grateful that you took the time out to help me. You clearly know more than their customer support, because they told me it couldn't be done.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.48.28 pm.png

• Thanks 1