Credit where credit's due: tasks!

Evernote is an important part of my workflow when it comes to projects I manage for my clients. I recently explored the new'ish task management functionality (I used Todoist in the past). I now consider this feature to be a value multiplier for Evernote as a whole. Most of my meetings will include follow up tasks, and there's no better way to do so than in the context of my notes. Kudos to Evernote's product management team, and of course usability people (UI is so very well done) and devs. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5

If Budda would  live today, he would have chosen the concept of self-unemployment as being the modern solution for „Nirvana“.

What I like about tasks: It converts content - any content - into an actionable object. This together with sharing is a very powerful combination. EN clearly had self-unemployed users in mind when they created the new Professional subscription level: Good features to coordinate other self-unemployed folks, and just the right price level to neutralize the fact that it is now tax deductible - the net subscription price it that of Personal, after taxes …

• Like 3

If Budda would  live today, he would have chosen the concept of self-unemployment as being the modern solution for „Nirvana“.

This!

Also 100% agree on power of having tasks sit inside your notes, instead of attaching your notes onto a task. It really plays to EN's strengths, when you get used to it.

• Like 1

Would love some concrete ie:actual examples of how people use this.  I'm still trying to figure all this out.  For example, let's say I have a doctor's appt on July 10.  Currently I set a reminder on my iphone for July 9th at night to ring my phone at 10pm.  This will show me that there is an appt with the doctor the next day.  Alternatively, I could set a google calendar reminder on July 10 but ask it to send me an email one day and 2 hours before.  The third option is to set a task in EN but I haven't figured out a way to have that task ring my phone loudly enough to that I'm aware of it.  I do not have a work flow that requires specific tasks attached to specific projects; rather, my tasks would be various things to remember, appointments, stuff I need to do etc.  I would like ultimately to find one way of doing them all.  

4 hours ago, idoc said:

Would love some concrete ie:actual examples of how people use this.  I'm still trying to figure all this out.  For example, let's say I have a doctor's appt on July 10.  Currently I set a reminder on my iphone for July 9th at night to ring my phone at 10pm.  This will show me that there is an appt with the doctor the next day.  Alternatively, I could set a google calendar reminder on July 10 but ask it to send me an email one day and 2 hours before.  The third option is to set a task in EN but I haven't figured out a way to have that task ring my phone loudly enough to that I'm aware of it.  I do not have a work flow that requires specific tasks attached to specific projects; rather, my tasks would be various things to remember, appointments, stuff I need to do etc.  I would like ultimately to find one way of doing them all.  

You don't have to use them. I'm not until recuring tasks and ways to email in tasks arrives.

I tend to split events and tasks. For me, a Drs appointment is an event, so it goes in the calendar. I look at my calendar multiple times a day and get a reminder 24 hours and 1 hour before an event starts.

Tasks are for things I must do like write a report, invoice a client, create a presentation etc.

You fit the tools into your workflow but it's fine if you don't use them.

13 hours ago, Jon/t said:

You don't have to use them. I'm not until recuring tasks and ways to email in tasks arrives.

I tend to split events and tasks. For me, a Drs appointment is an event, so it goes in the calendar. I look at my calendar multiple times a day and get a reminder 24 hours and 1 hour before an event starts.

Tasks are for things I must do like write a report, invoice a client, create a presentation etc.

You fit the tools into your workflow but it's fine if you don't use them.

Good point.  I'm trying to get out of the habit of looking at my Tasks, iphone reminders and Google calendar all the time to catch the different things I need to do.  Or trying to figure out where to put a specific thing.   I'm hoping to phase out at least one of these three things so I only need to keep checking the other two throughout the day.

• 5 months later...