Note don’t save as last left off

When I come to the end of taking notes I have returned back 6 times to re-edit my additions only to find it has not updated the last saved contents. This is possibly due to the tick on top left not functioning properly or could be something else. If the green tick doesn’t click does that mean it is not saved?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To be sure that changes are updated to a note, you need to save it. Click / Tap on the green "swash" to make your edits save to the EN clients database. It will sync in a second step then to the EN server - you don't need to trigger this yourself, if you have saved before.

If you simply leave the note without saving, it depends on iOS if the changes are preserved. Once you leave the app for another, iOS may decide to close the EN app in the background. In this case changes will be lost.

• 3 weeks later...

So many people are having this issue on OS devices.  It seems to be anyone who writes a lot and often.  People who take meeting notes often and journal.

I have a ticket in with multiple back and forth moments and a video and for some reason they still don’t understand the issue.  It’s this: sync doesn’t work.

When I tap sync on a note, all Evernote buttons freeze, and sometimes the text will just vanish.  Sometimes it returns, sometimes it doesn’t return at all.  Here is a video where  I just duplicated the VANISHING problem.  Pretty easy to duplicate.  Just use an iPhone.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

On 5/15/2022 at 6:12 AM, ARW999 said:

When I come to the end of taking notes I have returned back 6 times to re-edit my additions only to find it has not updated the last saved contents. This is possibly due to the tick on top left not functioning properly or could be something else. If the green tick doesn’t click does that mean it is not saved?

This has been exactly my experience.  It’s always the last few words I added.  And I agree - the tick on the top left doesn’t seem to work properly.  I kinda got grief for calling it a “sync,” because I don’t know the technical terms.  I guess it’s a local save trigger?  Either way it certainly seems to have issues.  And the end result is that it doesn’t update recent text - or in my case it may vanish or reappear, luck of the draw.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The green swash stops edit mode, and returns to the view mode. 

I think is commits the edits to the local memory as well, but it is sort of hard to find out. Once you push on the back arrow, you leave the note. Since the arrow is used as well in situations where you have not been editing, it is not logical it has a saving function as well. So I think edits are saved by the green swash, not by the return arrow - but sure about this is probably only a dev who is knowing the code.

• 1 month later...

I have been having the same issue for a year or so. I’m about to switch to a different app. I’ve been an EN user for ~10 years and have almost 18,000 notes. This is really sad. EN used to be wonderful. The elephant icon was really appropriate. But now a better icon would be a coin: 50/50 chance that what I type is saved.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is no issue I could report.

If you have a problem, maybe read this:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/217930798

The usual first aid is to log out of the app once, restart the iOS device, reopen the app and log in again. This is usually enough to get server and iOS device data back into sync again. And never forget: Due to iOS restrictions on background activity, the app must stay active until all syncing activity has terminated.

• 2 months later...

I find that new notes save incompletely; additions to older, previously saved notes has ended up wiping out half the content time and time again.  It doesn't matter how many times I click "save."   This has been true for more than 6 months.

FWIW, I'm on IOS 15.7 running the latest version of Evernote Personal.  I''ve been a user for 9 years and am ready to walk away-- the app is useless if it can't save.

• Level 5

No such problems. You need to make sure that the note got first saved locally (by the green checkmark), and after that it needs to sync to the server. Unsynced can cause duplication, because a edited note from the device will collide with an old copy on the server.

The note has synced to the server when in the note list view the green triangle at the note has vanished. You can enforce a sync through app settings, synchronization, sync now. As long as a note carries a green triangle, it still needs to sync.

If in doubt, it often helps to log out of your account, then close the app. Restart the iPhone with a 10 second wait between switch off and back on. Open the app, log back into your account.

I've been having a similar problem where either 1. what I type in iOS doesn't always show up in the Evernote web or desktop apps, or 2. going to the iOS app and sync manually results in it just spinning and not showing the usual blue complete notice. If I close the app then go back to sync manually it nearly always goes to the point where it says complete. But half the time after that, what happens is in the web and desktop apps a duplicate note shows up and I get the notice about having 2 notes in conflict. It's gotten to the point where I no longer use Evernote on my phone or tablet and stick to desktop.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, adriaq said:

The green checkmark is not a reliable indicator of saving: that's my experience.  

The green checkmark is a very reliable indicator for saving on the device. It is no indicator at all (and not meant to be) for a syncing of the local content with the server. It is intentionally a 2 step process - because if on mobile data, it may be that your internet connection is fluctuating in quality, not allowing a reliable sync in the very moment when you save.

To make sure it syncs to the server observe the green triangle showing at notes in the notes list. As long as the green triangle shows, the note has edited content that has NOT yet synced with the server. Usually for me it will sync within less than a minute. If you want to force a sync, go to app settings, synchronisation, sync now.

It is a bad sign if the sync then starts, and will not stop. Sometimes it will eventually sync later, which can be hours later. Then (my theory) something was wrong with the internet / server connection. Or it won't stop at all. Then you can save your unsynced content following the help document I have linked above.

You can now try to log out of the app and back in. This often is enough to refresh the server connection. If not, uninstall, turn the device off, wait 10sec, on again, reinstall, log in and wait a little while the initial download happens.

On 10/24/2022 at 12:32 AM, mooc0w said:

I've been having a similar problem where either 1. what I type in iOS doesn't always show up in the Evernote web or desktop apps, or 2. going to the iOS app and sync manually results in it just spinning and not showing the usual blue complete notice. If I close the app then go back to sync manually it nearly always goes to the point where it says complete. But half the time after that, what happens is in the web and desktop apps a duplicate note shows up and I get the notice about having 2 notes in conflict. It's gotten to the point where I no longer use Evernote on my phone or tablet and stick to desktop.

Same situation happened yesterday with having to close the iPhone app and reopening in order for a complete sync. This morning there's the usual notice of a duplicate note but for the first time I see more than 1 duplicate (4 total).

On 10/24/2022 at 5:45 AM, PinkElephant said:

It is a bad sign if the sync then starts, and will not stop. Sometimes it will eventually sync later, which can be hours later. Then (my theory) something was wrong with the internet / server connection. Or it won't stop at all. Then you can save your unsynced content following the help document I have linked above.

Maybe server side? I've experienced the difficulty completing a sync on iOS on cellular 5G, LTE, and when on WiFi.

• Level 5

Yes, of course switching networks while syncing can cause havoc.

You hold an authorization on the first network connection. When you loose it (like leaving the area covered by WiFi), it is severed. The new connection for example on mobile data requires a whole new authorization with the server.

In the gap in between inconsistencies can happen.

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, of course switching networks while syncing can cause havoc.

You hold an authorization on the first network connection. When you loose it (like leaving the area covered by WiFi), it is severed. The new connection for example on mobile data requires a whole new authorization with the server.

In the gap in between inconsistencies can happen.

I had the same in the past two days, while staying at the same (mobile) network and on the same device, Evernote created many copies, unclear what is the latest one. It also multiple times stopped and lost the audio taking automatically when I was multitasking on the same (Apple iPad) device

• Level 5

About multitasking and audio takes: It is pretty well known that iPadOS is getting better, but still does NOT support full multitasking. It remains the enigma of Apple why they put the same Mx processor in Macs and iPads, but don’t allow the later to perform in a similar way as the former.

In short: On iPadOS you either do what you do, or you skip it, and do something else. Jot down stuff with the pencil, or grab audio, but don’t try to do both simultaneously.