Goodbye Evernote

I was just held hostage by Evernote's  idiotic message that I needed to upgrade after having a license for years.  If it was the credit card that had expired, which it appears to be,  then I would have expected the decency of a notification but apparently Evernote does not care quite that much for it’s customers.  So…. I have paid your ransom & know that I am currently downloading all content & will be transitioning to my OneDrive & I will wave goodbye shortly to you & your ridiculous pricing model.

Best of luck & I do hope that you join Netflix in many others canceling their Evernote service.  You could & should have done better.  

P.S. I realize this will never be allowed to be posted so for the reviewer that blocks this, best of luck. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Well at least you got to publish your cry from the heart,  although I have to tell you - you're not alone. I've been cancelled by Adobe, Netflix and a couple of other major names through expired cards.  Most companies seem to expect users to be able to pay their fees on time,  and react badly when a transaction fails.  Given that such companies - like Evernote - have a huge number of users,  the number of fails on any given day is probably quite high so an automated downgrade / cancel is their only viable response.  I normally get at least one cancellation before I work out that the darn card has expired again,  but its usually pretty easy to rejoin / revive membership.  In fact with Evernote you have instant access online to change the payment method and make good on the amount due,  and get back to your account within an hour.  Don't know why that wasn't possible in your case.  Anyhoo - all water under the bridge I guess.  Have fun with OneDrive. (Or did you mean OneNote?)

PS - we're not Evernote here;  just (mainly) a bunch of other users.  Bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

Everybody is responsible to see that cash is on the bank, credit cards updated and invoices are paid.

If in trouble doing so, I always propose to pay as many subscriptions as possible through the AppStore / PlayStore - it makes life easier and prevents to forget an update to a single service. But sure, for some people it must always be somebody else who plays the culprit. 

If not discontinued in time before the payment is due, the subscription will prolong itself for another year. Has nothing to do with ransom - you have chosen it yourself, probably to save on the monthly payments. And it has nothing to do with an expired credit card - this only means that the due payment could not be executed - you defaulted on it by not keeping your credit card data up to date. When the payment had become due, you had not cancelled your subscription early enough.

It happens - but it is nobody's fault than your own to pay for another year, if you didn't want it.

Disclaimer: My opinion, user2user.

• Level 5
On 5/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, Andre B Texas said:

So…. I have paid your ransom & know that I am currently downloading all content & will be transitioning to my OneDrive & I will wave goodbye shortly to you & your ridiculous pricing model.

Best of luck & I do hope that you join Netflix in many others canceling their Evernote service.  You could & should have done better.  

P.S. I realize this will never be allowed to be posted so for the reviewer that blocks this, best of luck. 

1. You have not paid our ransom, since we are other users, not Evernote staff, here. Since you're back on a subscription, however briefly, raising a ticket with Evernote support would actually let them know what you're thinking.
  2. Everything except content that is actually illegal, or verbally abusive, gets through here. Somewhere there may be a counter of posts that say "You'll never post this."
  3. But I'm sure OneNote will be the perfect experience for you, since it is so universally admired:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Microsoft-OneNote-basically-a-useless-program

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/windows-10-onenote-app-sucks/bcf7aea9-5123-4fba-8301-8b7a2db47083

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5

Dave, you made my day. Bashing OneNote for what it is, subtle as an (sorry for that, some self marketing included) elephant.

My only problem was to decide between the icons for Thanks, Like and Good laugh. You see what was the outcome 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Andre B Texasdid you have a legacy type of account (either Premium or Plus)? That is what I am suspecting. Those are grandfathered subscription types and you can't sign up for them if they aren't renewed. Did you try and contact support about it?

In case you’re not aware, Evernote has a refund policy. Most likely an option if you did not use an App Store.

> For any monthly Individual Paid Service subscription fee, Evernote will process a refund if the request is received within two days of the date of the payment.

> For any annual Individual Paid Service subscription fee, Evernote will process a refund if the request is received within sixty days of the date of the payment.

Your best option, whether you want a refund or to try to get your old plan back, is to contact Evernote Support.

Also, OneNote bites.

• Like 3

Also, why would you assume that anyone is blocking your comments?  There have been thousands of negative comments in these forums and I'm not aware than any of them have ever been blocked.  In fact, I've read way worse comments than yours.  I suspect that you haven't really followed these forums at all and are not aware that they are user based and not controlled by EN staff.

• Like 2