Having problems manipulating pdfs on Evernote for windows

On EN legacy manipulating pdfs is a breeze.  The workflow involves double clicking on any pdf within a note which opens it up as a standalone pdf.  I can then drag that pdf to a side and open another pdf from a different note.  I now have two or more pdfs side by side and I can easily drag pages between them, re-name them etc.  For example, I can have a note which contains the "July netflix statement" and another note with "Combined 2021netflix statements".  I can double click each of those pdfs and they both open.  Using Acrobat I can sweep the July statement into the larger 2021 Netflix statement.  I then delete the July pdf and save the Combined pdf.  My 2021 Neflix note now has a pdf that includes the July statement within it.  None of this seems to work with EN for windows.  Even trying to open up an existing pdf in a note does not work.  If I double click on the pdf it opens up a "Save As" window asking me where to save it.  I don't really want to save it anywhere because I'm  interested in opening it.  OK, so if I save it to desktop I can now open it up from there.  I can do the same thing with another pdf from another EN note.  I can then combine those notes using Acrobat but I now have a combined note that is on the desktop and that I need to save back into EN.  In essence, there does not seem to be a mechanism for manipulating pdfs directly within the EN for windows structure.  Since this is the backbone of my workflow it is presenting a significant challenge.  Any help appreciated.

54 minutes ago, idoc said:

Even trying to open up an existing pdf in a note does not work.  If I double click on the pdf it opens up a "Save As" window asking me where to save it.  I don't really want to save it anywhere because I'm  interested in opening it. 

Opening acrobat reader by double clicking the pdf header does work in my windows V10 client. And I believe that "save as" does work as well.

Maybe there is something wrong with the default file association for pdf files?

18 minutes ago, idoc said:

I may not have been clear.  I am not referring to v10 but to the web version.  

Yeah, you said: "None of this seems to work with EN for windows".  So now you compare the legacy windows client with the V10 web client?

I suggest to use the windows V10 client if possible...

Sorry, my bad.  I use the v10 as well as Legacy and those are fine.  However, sometime I want to use the web version (when I'm at another computer etc) and that's where it didn't work.  I should have been more clear.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In the web client EN needs to rely on a lot of browser functions. You won’t find any EN specific menu positions, because the menu is the browser menu, not the clients menu. All app menu items are bundled behind the 3 dots.

Probably this is the reason as well why the web client can not simply start a program. Modern browsers try to restrict the access from web sites on the host computer, because the browser session is a possible entry point for malware. I think this stops the web client as well from opening the Acrobat reader.