Preference to not: include note titles in merged content when Merging Notes

DENNEYE

Idea

I would love a preference to set the  default action when merging notes to be do not include note titles in merged content.
I rarely if ever use this function, so it's annoying to have to un check the box everytime.
Some people might like that option, so a preference setting would be great.

evernotemerge.png

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Personally I think it is really a good idea to signal where one notes content in a merged note begins. As you explained it can be turned off.

What I doubt we will see is for every little option in the user interface to get a settings options that disables it (or even worse: To have program abilities disabled by default - which means users have to search through settings just to be able to use the app fully). Merging notes is probably not this x-times-per-day operation where a setting would really create a benefit in usability or efficiency.

24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think it is really a good idea to signal where one notes content in a merged note begins. As you explained it can be turned off.

What I doubt we will see is for every little option in the user interface to get a settings options that disables it (or even worse: To have program abilities disabled by default - which means users have to search through settings just to be able to use the app fully). Merging notes is probably not this x-times-per-day operation where a setting would really create a benefit in usability or efficiency.

Exactly why I recommend it as a preference you think it's a good idea, I just prefer to have the content separated with just a divider.
The default can be "include note titles in merged content"  I believe the more flexibility in options for software the better.
I merge notes almost daily so it would benefit me in efficiency.

Over time, long-lived software can get really weighed down with innumerable preferences, so I understand their hesitation on adding too many. One compromise that I have advocated for with various features like this is to have Evernote "remember" the last selection. That way people who can prefer it a certain way can set it once without needing a separate preference.

• Level 5

For some options this may be a sound strategy.

However when 2 notes are merged, and the separation titles are not added, they are lost completely. This means if the „last selection“ option is in place, and one does not precisely remember what have been the last selection, it can lead to permanent data loss. In such a case I am in favor of the conservative strategy, that makes sure everything is transferred to the merged note.

2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Over time, long-lived software can get really weighed down with innumerable preferences, so I understand their hesitation on adding too many. One compromise that I have advocated for with various features like this is to have Evernote "remember" the last selection. That way people who can prefer it a certain way can set it once without needing a separate preference.

That would be a solid solution.

• Like 1