(Archived) how to add "Text" after the note is in evernote

When I use the clipper from chrome or any browser, I get the usual fields: title, tags, etc, as well as a "text" field where I can throw my own text in and it shows up in the top, above any html formatting in the final note. Separating the text I put in, from the HTML page I clipped, is a "horizontal rule". Nice enough.

However, If I have a note (say a clipped html page) that doesn't have any text I entered, and I want to later add some, I can't seem to get the page to behave nicely to allow me to do that. If I place the cursor as far up top as I can, and start typing, I'm usually in the "header" font and formatting of whatever web site I clipped. And usually, it doesn't even push the page down as I type - it just overlays my text over the existing clipped text. I'm sure it has to do with formating on the original page being captured.

So my only solution currently, is to go back to whatever page I want to clip, use the online clipper, and add my text/notes in the "text" field, then go back to my notes library (local or online) and delete the "older" note (that doesn't have my desired personal note/text.

How can I insert text *at the top* of an existing note, without picking up the formatting of the page?

There are a few options. The easiest, IMO, is to simply add a line of text when doing the clipping. I'll often simply add the word "Keywords" in the text box. But it could be simply a single letter or space, probably. Then if I want to add something later, it's easy enough to do.

The second way is to export the note to enex, open the enex file in something like Notepad, then add your text between the en-note tag & the div tag. Import the edited & saved enex file & delete the original note.

post-11735-131906068927_thumb.png

The third way is to create a new note with the text, have the notes displayed so the text note is above the clipped note & then merge the two notes together. (When merging, the first note displayed is currently set up as the first note in the resultant merged note. They are working on making this user definable in a later version.)

• Level 5*
The second way is to export the note to enex, open the enex file in something like Notepad, then add your text between the en-note tag & the div tag. Import the edited & saved enex file & delete the original note.

More motivation for the sort of dual-mode Note View/Markup View editing that others have suggested, and which I am starting to feel some attraction for myself, despite generally residingin the Keep Evernote Simple camp...

~Jeff

• Level 5*
There are a few options. The easiest, IMO, is to simply add a line of text when doing the clipping. I'll often simply add the word "Keywords" in the text box. But it could be simply a single letter or space, probably. Then if I want to add something later, it's easy enough to do.

Agreed, this is easiest as EN exists today. Easiest would be to actually be able to edit the note. Reasonable expectation I would think for the average user. :D

Archived