Can I use Evernote for Mac without downloading all my notes to my hard drive?

I have been using Evernote for almost 10 years, and I don't need 10 years of notes clogging my hard drive. I don't have much space left, so I'm having to use the web version, which is fairly buggy. It'd be nice if I could only specify certain notebooks to download.

Anyone have a workaround for that?

Thanks!

• Level 5

You can save the local copy of the database on a different, maybe an external drive. You need to use symbolic links to redirect the access to the alternative location. Preferably it should be on a SSD.

You can disable the "Save data at LogOut". However I found this setting does reset itself to "on" when logging out and back in. But even if it happens, it can be removed again by clicking it to off, and then log out to make it effective.

• Thanks 1

@PinkElephant{{You need to use symbolic links to redirect the access to the alternative location. Preferably it should be on a SSD.}} What does this mean? Not even sure where to start with this one. Help! Thanks!

@DTLow, so when I install it, do I have the opportunity to set the preferences to never download everything? I'm not sure what steps I would have to take to make this work. Thanks again.

• Level 5

A general description:

https://www.howtogeek.com/297721/how-to-create-and-use-symbolic-links-aka-symlinks-on-a-mac/

Here is a thread about it from the forum. It describes the method for legacy, should work in a similar way for v10. Have not tried, I run a comfortable 2TB SSD on my Mac.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/111637-move-evernote-db-on-mac-to-external-drive/?do=findComment&comment=529298

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, lynfordm said:

so when I install it, do I have the opportunity to set the preferences to never download everything? I'm not sure what steps I would have to take to make this work.

1. Install the client software   
2. Open the app   
3. Login   
4 Select Evernote > Preferences and make sure Save Data is disabled

• Level 5

Just a word of caution: Whenever I logged back in, the setting re-enabled itself again. 

No idea if there are ways to make disabling stick. In the end, when I permanently disable it, the installed client gets very close to the web client. Then I could uninstall entirely, and directly work in the browser.