Jump to content

Recommended Posts

From the v10.36 release notes in this forum

Quote

The left navigation menu has improvements to keyboard navigation. Tabbing will now select the current focused location in the left nav (for example, if you are on all notes, tabbing will jump to all notes in the left nav), and up/down arrows can be used to move within the left navigation, expand / contract nests, etc.

And from the Release Notes within v10.35.4L

Quote

 Since there may be times when you can't use a mouse, we've made it easier to navigate the sidebar using just your keyboard.

These seem to suggest that if you are working in the right hand pane, you can somehow get to the current focussed location in the sidebar, then hit tab and you can navigate up and down the sidebar menu with arrow keys.
However, (a) this mechanism doesn't seem  very clear - how do you get into the sidebar without using the mouse (which appears to b the thrust of this feature),,, and (b)  I seem to have achieved it sporadically by accident, but not consistently It would be good if we were shown how features worked - the descriptions given in the release notes tend to be perfunctory and seem to assume the user is in a particular situation .

Evernote is a great product, but there do appear to be instances where its unclear how to use features.

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5

I don't have v. 10 of the Windows desktop app, only the Web version, which is supposed to be closely similar. What I find is that if I'm in the right pane, Shift+Tab (a whole lot of Shift+Tabs, depending on where I am) will eventually get me into the sidebar, usually at the very bottom, on the < Click to collapse arrow. More Shift+Tabbing gets me at last into the main zone of the sidebar, Home - Shortcuts ... Trash, where Up/Down Arrow navigates. Yet more Shift+Tabbing moves me through the controls at the top of the sidebar. So in the Web client it works, sort of, but not very adroitly. Don't know if this is any help for the desktop app.

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't have v. 10 of the Windows desktop app, only the Web version, which is supposed to be closely similar. What I find is that if I'm in the right pane, Shift+Tab (a whole lot of Shift+Tabs, depending on where I am) will eventually get me into the sidebar, usually at the very bottom, on the < Click to collapse arrow. More Shift+Tabbing gets me at last into the main zone of the sidebar, Home - Shortcuts ... Trash, where Up/Down Arrow navigates. Yet more Shift+Tabbing moves me through the controls at the top of the sidebar. So in the Web client it works, sort of, but not very adroitly. Don't know if this is any help for the desktop app.

Dave - Thanks for the feedback. It feels like a feature that isn't quite fully implemented. 

On the Windows desktop, I can't find a way of getting into the sidebar and selecting an entry there using the keyboard - you have to use the mouse to select a notebook. 

If I do mouse-select a notebook I find I van then use the up and down arrow keys to move up and down the entries in the sidebar and pressing Enter on the highlighted notebook takes you there. You can also use the right and left arrow keys to open or close a notebook stack if you've navigated to one.

I like the idea of keyboard navigation - I'm making more and more use of it, but we seem to missing a keyboard shortcut that will allow you to get into the sidebar to start navigating and minimise mouse usage. Or am I missing something here?

Link to comment
On 5/5/2022 at 9:45 AM, AdmiralP said:

I like the idea of keyboard navigation - I'm making more and more use of it, but we seem to missing a keyboard shortcut that will allow you to get into the sidebar to start navigating and minimise mouse usage. Or am I missing something here?

Check out the Keyboard shortcuts (click the little keyboard icon in the bottom left or use the shortcut, (CMD + / on Mac, probably CTRL + / on Windows) and look for a section called "Navigation" for a list of shortcuts which may help. You can jump to the list of notes and then SHIFT-TAB a couple of times to get to the sidebar, you can jump straight to the Search Field and then TAB to get out of it and onto the sidebar, or use one of several commands to get straight to a specific item on the sidebar and then use arrow keys and / or TAB and SHIFT-TAB to navigate from there.

Hope that helps!

Link to comment
On ٣‏/٥‏/٢٠٢٢ at 22:54, AdmiralP said:

من ملاحظات الإصدار v10.36 في هذا المنتدى

ومن ملاحظات الإصدار داخل v10.35.4L

يبدو أن هذه تشير إلى أنه إذا كنت تعمل في الجزء الأيمن ، فيمكنك بطريقة ما الوصول إلى الموقع المركز الحالي في الشريط الجانبي ، ثم الضغط على علامة التبويب ويمكنك التنقل لأعلى ولأسفل في قائمة الشريط الجانبي باستخدام مفاتيح الأسهم.
ومع ذلك ، (أ) لا تبدو هذه الآلية واضحة جدًا - كيف يمكنك الدخول إلى الشريط الجانبي دون استخدام الماوس (الذي يبدو أنه يتجه نحو هذه الميزة) ،،، و (ب)  يبدو  أنني  قد حققت ذلك بشكل متقطع عن طريق الصدفة ، ولكن ليس بشكل متسق ، سيكون من الجيد إذا تم عرض كيفية عمل الميزات - تميل الأوصاف الواردة في ملاحظات الإصدار إلى أن تكون روتينية ويبدو أنها تفترض أن المستخدم في موقف معين.

يعد Evernote منتجًا رائعًا ، ولكن يبدو أن هناك حالات يكون فيها من غير الواضح كيفية استخدام الميزات.

 

كيفيه اعاده عنوان القديم

 

Link to comment
On 5/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, Paul A. said:

Check out the Keyboard shortcuts (click the little keyboard icon in the bottom left or use the shortcut, (CMD + / on Mac, probably CTRL + / on Windows) and look for a section called "Navigation" for a list of shortcuts which may help. You can jump to the list of notes and then SHIFT-TAB a couple of times to get to the sidebar, you can jump straight to the Search Field and then TAB to get out of it and onto the sidebar, or use one of several commands to get straight to a specific item on the sidebar and then use arrow keys and / or TAB and SHIFT-TAB to navigate from there.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for those comments, Paul A. Yes = the keyboard shortcuts display helps a bit.

O was looking for a way on opening Evernote on my desktop that I could immediately jump into the left sidebar. The way I fund was to use the Ctrl + n combination to open one of my Shortcuts in the sidebar, which highlights the notebook in the sidebar; however, it seems to require multiple tabs to get the focus highlighted and then be able to move around the sidebar. Just wish there was a key combination that got you into the sidebar with the navigation mode engaged...

I'll keep experimenting

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...