Skitch app did not upgrade my subscription after I paid for it

• Level 5

Skitch does not have an own subscription level. It has a one time purchase for pdf markup, and they sell EN Premium (! …) in the iOS AppStore under the Skitch app. LOL

Personal opinion: It is OK to use it as it is. I would however not pay for an app that outdated. The last iOS version was released 6 years ago !

It might be Apple will even take it out of the AppStore. Rumors tell that apps not updated since long - and because of that without an app transparency declaration - will be dropped from the AppStore.

I think the Mac app gets more updates - but it is the same old, outdated engine driving the tools.

To capture the window it needs screen recording authorization in the Macs settings, security, privacy. If it does not work, restart the Mac, and then check again if the setting is still there.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Today Skitch started popping up messages every time I used it, saying, "The sync operation cannot complete because you have reached your monthly quota.  Upgrading your account will allow you to continue your sync with a higher quota." It showed a button I could click, which took me to a $49.99 annual subscription plan that I was supposed to pay for in iTunes. I went ahead and make the purchase, which is showing up now as paid in iTunes, but my Skitch account isn't upgraded, and the only help option I've been able to find through Evernote is this "community support" discussion where I guess I can describe the problem I'm having, but no one is actually going to help me. I posted a report on the problem to my iTunes account, and if no one from Evernote manages to get back to me in a day or two, I guess I'll just tell iTunes to refund my money. I've already wasted an hour dealing with this, and I'm pretty disappointed in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, Sheldon Rampton said:

I'm pretty disappointed in Evernote.

Well,  as you appreciate,  Itunes and Evernote are not the same company,  so online payments do not necessarily automagically upgrade an app.  Some hours and/ or device restarts may be necessary to jump-start the new subscription.  I don't even know where the $49.99 subscription came from,  because that's not an Evernote product and Skitch is a 'free' (but rather old) annotation utility.

Evernote do have an easy access channel for subscription issues,  but since you paid iTunes it's really necessary for you to go to them and find out what's happening.  As far as I can see Evernote may not have any information or involvement in what's gone on so far,  so I'd suggest you hold on the disappointment for the meantime.

Your account status with Evernote is always available to you directly - check My Account

There's even an Evernote help page on the topic... I purchased an Evernote subscription, but my account is not upgraded

• Level 5

There are several issues in this posting, and we should sort them a little bit:

From what you describe you have started the whole situation being a free user of EN, and started to use the Skitch app. Since Skitch is made to produce pictures (and annotate them), uploading them will eat pretty fast into your Free accounts upload budget, which is set to 60MB per 30 days.

So it was absolutely fair from Skitch / EN to warn you that you were close to exceed that limit. Because once exceeded, your account (including Skitch content) is closed for the rest of the 30 days for all uploads, including changing existing notes, until it is time to renew the quota.

Now you did possibly not inform yourself about payment options, you decided to go with the iTunes payment, which likely was the easiest option then. Nothing wrong with it, I hold my subscription through iTunes as well.

But of course iTunes is no part of EN, it is part of Apple. So your money needs to be moved to Apple, and they will collect all new subscriptions of a day (possibly) and inform EN about them in a batch transfer of all customer data. Only then your account will update. Worst case your iCloud / iTunes mail address does not match the one use for EN before - then you will get a new account with EN, on subscription, but missing your old data. If this happens, 2 accounts can be merged, so no problem.

You can access EN as well, on all accounts, with ticket type Billing and (probably) Account.

But as @gazumped already told, subscriptions hold via iTunes need to be managed via iTunes. So EN support would probably tell you the same things:

a) It may take a little (usually 24hrs, sometimes a bit longer) until subscribing with iTunes trickles down to EN

b) They can‘t handle your iTunes subscription for you