• Shortcuts
  • Notes
  • Tasks
  • Notebooks
  • Tags
  • Shared With Me
  • Work Chat
  • Trash

Out of the above 9 items, I only use 4 while the remaining 5 clutter the area and cause users to spend extra time looking for the item they need.  

By allowing users the ability to hide 'Work chat' for example, would allow them to be more intentional and productive with their movements within the app

• Thanks 2

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Dear Mr. Microsoft, I checked my Excel installation. I found out that I need too much time to find the 43 functions used by me because you decided to hide them among 369 others.

And when you tackle this issue, could you please take away these pictograms (new design enclosed) from the ribbons since they clutter up my view when using the others …

Ridiculous ? Maybe. 

Back to EN: I can assure you that „Users“ do use all options (I do). You can collapse unused ones - this should serve your need to reduce the visual impact.

You can always send your idea to EN directly through the feedback function.

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Dear Mr. Microsoft, I checked my Excel installation. I found out that I need too much time to find the 43 functions used by me because you decided to hide them among 369 others.

And when you tackle this issue, could you please take away these pictograms (new design enclosed) from the ribbons since they clutter up my view when using the others …

Ridiculous ? Maybe. 

Back to EN: I can assure you that „Users“ do use all options (I do). You can collapse unused ones - this should serve your need to reduce the visual impact.

You can always send your idea to EN directly through the feedback function.

Hi, sorry to have offended you with such a ridiculous request.  I figured that since this was a feature in previous EN versions, that it would be a nice to have in current releases.  I did not know that you represented the ENTIRE user base of Evernote and as such, deem this idea to be absurd.  

I'd expect this sort of reply in the Reddit forums but not here.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sorry, no offense meant.

You post your opinion, and I post mine.

My opinion is that software should be kept simple. Every setting means more code, every setting means more possibilities for users to misconfigure their setup (and end up here searching for help, if they are lucky). All left panel position are collapsible, reducing them to a single line of text. Personally I don’t think that the eternal reference to legacy does any good either: Legacy today is dead code, and sticking to it nearly killed the whole company. IMHO nothing to get nostalgic about.

And that is it - I just used a metaphor to tell why I think it is not a good idea.

• Confused 1

I agree with Angelo on this feature request -- in particular, I'd like the ability to remove Shared with Me and Work Chat from the sidebar, as I never use them and it only adds visual clutter.