Option to pin the Sidebar permanently visible (iPadOS)

Er-N-est
Go to solution Solved by gewappnet,

Idea

I miss an option to make the notebook sidebar permanently visible.  It would be very cool if there was an option to pin the sidebar for permanent access to stacks and notebooks. I think it is very distracting when the notebook sidebar disappears when selecting a note.

23 replies to this idea

• Level 5

No idea what exactly you want: When on my iPad I have all notes view, or a notebook open and select a note, the left notes view stays on.

Only when I expand the note manually to full screen it folds away.

Which iPad, iOS version and EN client are you using ?

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No idea what exactly you want: When on my iPad I have all notes view, or a notebook open and select a note, the left notes view stays on.

Only when I expand the note manually to full screen it folds away.

Which iPad, iOS version and EN client are you using ?

iPad 12 (2020) and newest iPad OS 15.4.1 - EN Version 10.30.1 (German)

There are 2 Sidebars. One sidebar keeps the stacks and notebooks.  I'm speaking about  this sidebar. This sidebar collapses when selecting a notebook.

Sure, there is a second sidebar which contains the list of notes within a notebook. This second sidebar is not what I meant.  This second sidebar remains visible (this is fine).

With Apple Notes, Ulysses, Bear etc both sidebars remain visible. At EN the first sidebar disappears. Both sidebars should remain visible.

• Level 5

OK, that is the large iPad. Frankly on a smaller one like my 10.5 Pro there is simply not enough space tho have 3 columns AND be able to work in the rightmost one. There is makes perfectly sense to close the middle column.

You can contact EN via support or through the feedback function.

However I doubt that they will add a special loop for the pretty small fraction of max-sized tablets. They still have to discover the Tablet in general - the client does not play up to the tablets potential.

But how they say: Frache koscht nix …

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

OK, that is the large iPad. Frankly on a smaller one like my 10.5 Pro there is simply not enough space tho have 3 columns AND be able to work in the rightmost one. There is makes perfectly sense to close the middle column.

You can contact EN via support or through the feedback function.

However I doubt that they will add a special loop for the pretty small fraction of max-sized tablets. They still have to discover the Tablet in general - the client does not play up to the tablets potential.

But how they say: Frache koscht nix …

Oh, ok, I see. You are right. I tried on my old small iPad 9. ..... Somehow the solution in other apps where both sidebars appear (eg Apple Notes) is less distracting in comparison to the solution at EN. Other solutions third sidebars appears in a much more convenient way. At EN I always feel lost. But thank you, Ich frage mal the support. 🙂 

• Haha 1
On 4/26/2022 at 5:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

There is already an implementation with up to three columns that works with small screens/windows and large ones as well: The web version and the desktop version of Evernote. Both versions need to work in all sizes of windows and they do. You can even use the web version on the iPad Pro 12.9" and it adjusts perfectly to the screen. And BTW you can set the column on the left side to a thin one with just icons, which I have in the desktop and web version. This way it should also be great with three columns on a smaller iPad in landscape mode.

22 hours ago, gewappnet said:

There is already an implementation with up to three columns that works with small screens/windows and large ones as well: The web version and the desktop version of Evernote. Both versions need to work in all sizes of windows and they do. You can even use the web version on the iPad Pro 12.9" and it adjusts perfectly to the screen. And BTW you can set the column on the left side to a thin one with just icons, which I have in the desktop and web version. This way it should also be great with three columns on a smaller iPad in landscape mode.

This shows that the display of 3 columns is also possible on a small screen.  However, this requires that one is always logged in to the browser (no solution for me)

1 hour ago, Er-N-est said:

This shows that the display of 3 columns is also possible on a small screen.  However, this requires that one is always logged in to the browser (no solution for me)

I am not sure how this is relevant to the layout of the Evernote app on the iPad. The web version shows that it is possible, so it should be implemented in the app as well.

• Level 5

There is practically no notebook below 13“, at least none for serious work. It may sound little, but screen width is an issue when you pick up a typical 10-11“ tablet, like most iPads and Android tablets.

Personally I doubt that EN will build specific versions of the GUI just to accommodate niche products, like very large tablets or very small notebooks.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

There is practically no notebook below 13“, at least none for serious work.

Fun fact: You don't have to use all programs on computers in fullscreen. Actually it is quite common to use windows in all kind of sizes and dimensions.

• Level 5

Windows: What a weird concept … 😵💫

On a 13“ i would not call multiple windows a „fun fact“. I use a 15“ MacBook Pro with one of the best screens available, but am still happy when I can install my iPad as second screen while not in my home office.

Actually that’s the place where my EN Mac client is often opened when on the road.

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Windows: What a weird concept … 😵💫

What I am saying is - and I actually did it above - that the PC and Mac versions of Evernote as well as the web version need to be able to run in all kind of window sizes - and they do! The screen layout is automatically adjusted to the current size of the window - it works even for a window size that equals the screen size of a mobile phone. The desktop/web version is also able to shrink the main menu on the left to just a very thin bar of icons only. This way the desktop/web layout would perfectly fit even on an iPad 9.7".

15A9EB9B-588C-423A-8C60-2662B77AF62C.jpeg

3 hours ago, gewappnet said:

What I am saying is - and I actually did it above - that the PC and Mac versions of Evernote as well as the web version need to be able to run in all kind of window sizes - and they do! The screen layout is automatically adjusted to the current size of the window - it works even for a window size that equals the screen size of a mobile phone. The desktop/web version is also able to shrink the main menu on the left to just a very thin bar of icons only. This way the desktop/web layout would perfectly fit even on an iPad 9.7".

15A9EB9B-588C-423A-8C60-2662B77AF62C.jpeg

I agree. The screen size should not be an issue. 

• Level 5

The difference between the desktop clients and the iOS version is that on a desktop a window can be resized. On the iPad beside being full screen in standard mode it is restricted to roughly 3 sizes in multitasking mode: split, 1:2 or overlay. Yes, I know, the border between applications can be moved .

What is the left panel in desktop in iOS slides away to the left, but can always be slided back to show. For me this is a good solution, it works like an extension of the screen to the left.

Of course anybody can wish a different solution - to bring it to the attention of EN PM use the feedback function build into the clients.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Of course anybody can wish a different solution - to bring it to the attention of EN PM use the feedback function build into the clients.

I already did this (as you suggested). Anyhow I am interested in other users views on this Forum topic. 

I think EN could do much better on iPad. 

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I think all of us using the iPad can agree to this statement. Starting with 2 sessions running at a time, for example.

Have you tried Apple Notes?  This feels much more like a real notebook on the iPad (but AN is without a useful export option, unfortunately - that is why I think EN rules). The sidebar solution on Apple Notes is very well made. EN could learn from there.

• Level 5

If I open Apple Notes, and have all 3 panes show, my work space is reduced to a third of the screen width. This is roughly the same size as my iPhone 11 Pro Max in portrait orientation. This is not what I want to use on my iPad - it practically spends 2/3rds of the screen to show where the note is located. Because there is no Slide Over for the left panel in Notes, it permanently resizes my workspace area while I may be working on it. When the 3 panel view is open, there is no full screen option available: I first need to go to the 1/3 - 2/3 view, and can then go to the full screen.

Anybody has his own preferences - but for me, the slide over method used by EN for the left panel is more workable and elegant.

With the new version they did it as I suggested above! Together with the new shortcuts it is another step to make the iPad version more like the desktop version. (If only they would ever recognize and fix the PDF annotation no-zoom-no-use bug on the iPad.)

On 5/15/2022 at 5:01 PM, PinkElephant said:

If I open Apple Notes, and have all 3 panes show, my work space is reduced to a third of the screen width. This is roughly the same size as my iPhone 11 Pro Max in portrait orientation. This is not what I want to use on my iPad - it practically spends 2/3rds of the screen to show where the note is located. Because there is no Slide Over for the left panel in Notes, it permanently resizes my workspace area while I may be working on it. When the 3 panel view is open, there is no full screen option available: I first need to go to the 1/3 - 2/3 view, and can then go to the full screen.

Anybody has his own preferences - but for me, the slide over method used by EN for the left panel is more workable and elegant.

If you look closely to Apple Notes you will see that they found a very good solution for smaller iPads, I think. both sidebars are visible when needed, therefore, the work space is only reduced a little. It is hard to describe. Have a look. For me AN is less confusing than EN.

13 hours ago, gewappnet said:

With the new version they did it as I suggested above! Together with the new shortcuts it is another step to make the iPad version more like the desktop version. (If only they would ever recognize and fix the PDF annotation no-zoom-no-use bug on the iPad.)

Are you sure? I cannot see anything changed.

On 5/15/2022 at 5:01 PM, PinkElephant said:

The latest version 10.37 solved my request. Thanks for the comunication!