Coming soon

Sand talk

Idea

Can someone at EN define 'soon' for me, please?

I've seen this in Coming Soon for a while now, beyond what I think can safely be called 'soon'  "- Need to link to one note from another? Drag it from the note list into the editor and Evernote will automatically create a link for you."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

😏

I think soon is somewhat longer than the time for which I can hold my breath. This is an activity I'll avoid whilst waiting for an official response to your tongue-in-cheek question. It is something I've pondered over many releases of the app.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

I don't believe that anyone can answer that question accurately given the impact of the 'observer effect', which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the system, that is, without changing something in a system.

Heisenberg utilized such an observer effect at the quantum level as a physical "explanation" of quantum uncertainty. It has since become clearer, however, that the uncertainty principle is inherent in the properties of all software,  in that the more important a feature is,  the longer it will subjectively seem before it is implemented... 

(Also known as the 'Watched Pot' effect)

:D

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

„Soon“ is everything that is not already released, but announced.

The casual observer finds no logic behind it - sometimes „soon“ was part of the next release, and for some „sooner“ features we are still waiting.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, ha-kg said:

or never...

If the company has said 'coming soon',  I don't think they've ever defaulted - though typically everyone seems to have different expectations for the final version of any feature,  and you can guarantee that 50% of any given audience will be disappointed with the end result.  It'll be too restrictive / the wrong size or colour / involve too many keystrokes...

And having worked in a development environment I do have some sympathy that while you may intend to deliver a fantastic widget as quickly as possible,  something unexpected always comes up to put the first three launch dates back by days / months / years - and sometimes it's stuff totally outside your control.  Far better usually to say nothing until the launch happens - but that in itself gets you shouted at for not communicating...  it ain't easy being a developer!

On 4/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, gazumped said:

I don't believe that anyone can answer that question accurately given the impact of the 'observer effect', which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the system, that is, without changing something in a system.

Heisenberg utilized such an observer effect at the quantum level as a physical "explanation" of quantum uncertainty. It has since become clearer, however, that the uncertainty principle is inherent in the properties of all software,  in that the more important a feature is,  the longer it will subjectively seem before it is implemented... 

(Also known as the 'Watched Pot' effect)

:D

All we can hope is in the multiverse interpretation there are other realities where this is in prod and being used!

• Haha 1