Jump to content

No Gear Icon in Sidebar on version 10.35


Recommended Posts

I've downloaded version 10.35.3 on OSX and was looking to see what additional settings we could now tweak but I can't see any gear icon in the sidebar and under Preferences on the Evernote menu bar, I still only have the same 2 options (+ import folders) that I had before. I've doubled checked and I am running 10.35(.3) when I do About Evernote from the Evernote menu bar.

Is anyone else seeing the gear icon in the side bar as mentioned in the 10.35 release announcement?

 

Link to comment
  • Evernote Staff*

@Happy ChapThanks for this report, we're looking into it now. In the meantime, please try these steps to fix this: 

  1. Go to File > Sign Out from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Sign back in to Evernote.

Please let us know if the issue continues after completing these steps. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Austin G said:

@Happy ChapThanks for this report, we're looking into it now. In the meantime, please try these steps to fix this: 

  1. Go to File > Sign Out from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Sign back in to Evernote.

Please let us know if the issue continues after completing these steps. 

@Austin G Issue continues after above.

Mac running Monterey 12. Downloaded from Mac store.

Exit and remove data.....

Removed Evernote app

Downloaded from Evernote Website

Fixed = Gear Icon available.

Looks like version available on MAC App Store is wrong/broken.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

Somewhat similar to @RobertJLee.

This was my version from the Mac App Store that I was running (sorry for the screenshot)

image.png.d0085e142687b257d741f77f86277d31.png

And I couldn't see the gear icon. I even tried opening the Chrome Dev tools, making sure that the "Disable cache" was checked on the Network tab and hit Command-R. Still no go for the gear icon.

I signed out of the App Store version, removing all my data. But then I just deleted the App store app (didn't try and sign back into it) and went with the direct download/install (outside the app store) and now I'm seeing the gear icon.

This is the version I just downloaded and installed

10.35.3-mac-ddl-public (3355)
Editor: v146.1.18003
Service: v1.51.2
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Link to comment
  • Level 5

What did help other users was to open the EN Home Screen and go to edit a widget. After closing the editing and going back to the standard view from Home, the settings wheel had appeared.

It looks as if a sort of „browser refresh“ was needed. No idea if this might have worked on a Mac AppStore version as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It looks as if a sort of „browser refresh“ was needed. No idea if this might have worked on a Mac AppStore version as well. 

I'm wondering if going to…

Help > Troubleshooting > Reload (or Force Reload)

…would have the same effect?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Kyle D. aka macfixer said:

I'm wondering if going to…

Help > Troubleshooting > Reload (or Force Reload)

…would have the same effect?

There is no such menu entry at all in my macOS version. So no, this does not help.

Link to comment
On 4/21/2022 at 4:36 AM, Austin G said:

@Happy ChapThanks for this report, we're looking into it now. In the meantime, please try these steps to fix this: 

  1. Go to File > Sign Out from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Sign back in to Evernote.

Please let us know if the issue continues after completing these steps. 

No, this does NOT fix the missing gear symbol! It just does not exist in the App Store version of Evernote. You probably messed up the upload of the new version to the App Store.

Link to comment
On 4/21/2022 at 10:13 PM, PinkElephant said:

What did help other users was to open the EN Home Screen and go to edit a widget. After closing the editing and going back to the standard view from Home, the settings wheel had appeared.

No, this does NOT help at all. There is no way at all to get the gear symbol in the App Store version of Evernote. They must have messed up the upload to the App Store.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt this - the AppStore version is (always was …) the same software as the direct download.

But it executes differently, courtesy to Apple, which has caused a bunch of problems in the past already. From my experience it is not really foreseeable how things may go astray based on the MacOS-versions and the settings, especially the security and privacy group.

Link to comment
  • Level 5
29 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

There is no such menu entry at all in my macOS version. So no, this does not help.

You need to know how ….

Cliff hanger ….

Hold down the alt/opt key before opening the HELP menu. Trara ! A new menu item appears, „Troubleshooting“ (Problemlösung). There you find all the juicy stuff, not only Reload (cmd-R).

And don‘t tell me you don‘t find it - then I am going to curse the AppStore versions execution again !

Link to comment
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Hold down the alt/opt key before opening the HELP menu. Trara ! A new menu item appears, „Troubleshooting“ (Problemlösung). There you find all the juicy stuff, not only Reload (cmd-R).

Yes, the entry is then available, but no, of course this does not bring the gear icon. It does just not exist in the App Store version.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

This is the "About" window of the current direct download on the Mac. If the numbers compare, I think it should be the same compile. You can check and report what your AppStore version looks like:

1400662352_SCR-20220423-hzxKlein.png.8efa7971842a7464e480714fc726c264.png

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This is the "About" window of the current direct download on the Mac. If the numbers compare, I think it should be the same compile. You can check and report what your AppStore version looks like:

1400662352_SCR-20220423-hzxKlein.png.8efa7971842a7464e480714fc726c264.png

Boot17 has already posted above what is displayed in the App Store version. Of course it looks like this for me as well. Again: The gear symbol does not exist in the App Store version, for no one!

Link to comment
  • Level 5

It is futile to discuss whether it does not exist from the source, or it is not allowed to execute inside of a sandbox.

Time for a support ticket, and let EN check this out, I would say. This is where I am out - because the gear wheel showed for me without any action needed right after installing and opening the direct download. 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

It is futile to discuss whether it does not exist from the source, or it is not allowed to execute inside of a sandbox.

Time for a support ticket, and let EN check this out, I would say. This is where I am out - because the gear wheel showed for me without any action needed right after installing and opening the direct download. 

I don't see any use of a support ticket. Evernote already said in this thread that they investigate the issue. But it is a bit puzzling that they did not release a corrected release to the App Store immediately. At least that should be the normal way to go as soon as they were aware of their embarrassing mistake.

BTW, you could de-install your not-app-store-version and install the regular app-store-version. I ensure you and would hold any bet that there will be no gear icon for you as well. Try it and you will see.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, gewappnet said:

I ensure you and would hold any bet that there will be no gear icon for you as well. Try it and you will see.

If anyone wants to USE Evernote (Mac) AND have the new gear icon- remove installation and download from Evernote website- forget App Store.

Anything else is tweaking/playing - feel free if you have nothing better to do. The App Store version is broken - end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Level 5

It is not the AppStore „version“ that would be broken (because AFAIK it is exactly the same code). It is the way it runs on the Macs that creates the problems. Every app from the AppStore runs under a tighter control than a free install.

Don‘t know if it had to do with the Electron framework - but we had similar issues already with the 7.xx clients. I think it has more to do with Apple locking the OS down more and more.

EN should find out, and find a way to have both installs running without a mess like this.

Until then I stay with the direct install.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It is not the AppStore „version“ that would be broken (because AFAIK it is exactly the same code). It is the way it runs on the Macs that creates the problems. Every app from the AppStore runs under a tighter control than a free install.

Don‘t know if it had to do with the Electron framework - but we had similar issues already with the 7.xx clients. I think it has more to do with Apple locking the OS down more and more.

EN should find out, and find a way to have both installs running without a mess like this.

Until then I stay with the direct install.

Just look in the release notes of Version 10.34:

Fixed highlights:

  • Mac App Store builds showed Evernote missing as a Share Extension option

So obviously the Mac App Store builds are different. Evernote needs to test these builds as well. Currently they don't and that's why there are things not working in these builds. I think this time it is especially embarrassing as the main new functionality of the release does not exist in the released build.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

It is not obvious that there must be 2 versions: It was announced for the Mac client in general. So it obviously was necessary to code to enable sharing when running the AppStore version. But this code is integrated into the app in general, not only when you download from the AppStore.

The missing sharing was one of the features on which I assisted a fellow user. We were both running the same clients, on pretty similar Macs, with the same MacOS installed. After a lot of try and error we came to the conclusion that the only difference was he was running the AppStore version, I the direct install. He uninstalled, got the dmg from the website, installed and - bang - the sharing worked.

Again, it is the same code, it just executes inside of a sandbox when you run it from the AppStore. And the sandbox is the „X“ factor in the equation. 

Never mind, I expect EN to write and approve code to work both ways. Hopefully they do one day, because running an app from the AppStore has advantages as well. But it needs to work, period.

Link to comment

They have released 10.36 and ... the gear icon is still missing in the App Store build. I had installed the direct download build of 10.35 to get the new settings button and wanted to see if they fixed it in 10.36 of the App Store build. So I uninstalled the direct download build and installed the App Store build and I couldn't believe they still haven't fixed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Just a question (I am no developer): Is it possible to test a version released to the AppStore before it goes public ?

Because it is the very same code as for the direct install, just released through another channel. The problem is not the code itself, the problem is the way Apple executes the app. It runs in a sandbox, which restricts the app.

Anyhow, EN should be able to rid itself from the problem. Just buy the devs all shiny new M1max 16" MacBooks - and tell they get Windows laptops again if they don't care 😱

Link to comment

There has been another release since this one. I went from the one before this straight to the one released that was mentioned in a post about 19 hours ago. There is no gear icon in the App Store version or the direct download. 

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Direct download: For me it showed right away after updating to 10.35. It still is there after the update to 10.36, so nothing broken. Others have reported they went to Home, played with a widget, saved the change, and when they came back, the gear wheel had appeared.

AppStore: Still seems to be a problem - can't check, since I avoid the AppStore download since 2019, when I had problems with legacy solved by the direct download. Proud direct downloader ever since ... 😎

Link to comment
57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Direct download: For me it showed right away after updating to 10.35. It still is there after the update to 10.36, so nothing broken. Others have reported they went to Home, played with a widget, saved the change, and when they came back, the gear wheel had appeared.

AppStore: Still seems to be a problem - can't check, since I avoid the AppStore download since 2019, when I had problems with legacy solved by the direct download. Proud direct downloader ever since ... 😎

Tried all the tweets and steps and still nada :( I did mention it to staff so we shall wait and see.

Link to comment
19 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Tried all the tweets and steps and still nada :( 

Same thing here. Also most recent update to 10.36 which I grabbed from the App Store yesterday did not fix it either.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, buckethead said:

Same thing here. Also most recent update to 10.36 which I grabbed from the App Store yesterday did not fix it either.

The App Store build was not fixed as we discussed before, but she is saying that for her the direct download build has the problem as well. THIS is very strange, because it never had the problem before.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

The App Store build was not fixed as we discussed before, but she is saying that for her the direct download build has the problem as well. THIS is very strange, because it never had the problem before.

Ahhhh. I didn’t read back far enough to see this. 
 

Hopefully they add settings in the menu bar section somewhere as well. Evernote -> Settings or something like that. 

Link to comment
19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Tried to dump the local data and rebuild the database from the server yet ?

It is sort of a magic wand against a lot of issues with the desktop clients.

Lol I'm not that determined to have it there. I rarely go into my settings lol. It will show up eventually.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

The database rebuild is really no big thing. You change the setting, log out, confirm the data dump, quit the client, open it again and log in.

Dumping the data happens by itself, and the rebuild of the database as well. I wouldn‘t do it if I know that I will go offline with my MacBook later, but apart of this I have to check on network traffic to see there is something happening in the background.

As long as the content is not downloaded, it works similar to the mobile client: When you open still not downloaded content, it will fetch it from the server. Takes a split second, and then it opens. So rebuilding the database is no problem, but it often helps to fix issues.

Link to comment
43 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The database rebuild is really no big thing. You change the setting, log out, confirm the data dump, quit the client, open it again and log in.

Dumping the data happens by itself, and the rebuild of the database as well. I wouldn‘t do it if I know that I will go offline with my MacBook later, but apart of this I have to check on network traffic to see there is something happening in the background.

As long as the content is not downloaded, it works similar to the mobile client: When you open still not downloaded content, it will fetch it from the server. Takes a split second, and then it opens. So rebuilding the database is no problem, but it often helps to fix issues.

I know how to do it, just not a pressing issue while right in the middle of using EN during a whole home Reno. And again, it's really not that much of an issue for me. Probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't seen a post about it. 

I was asking in case clients have the issue, which I'm thinking they don't because nobody has reached out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

And the new version 10.37.3 (available in the App Store for 2 days now) still hasn't brought the gear icon to the App Store version.

My new theory for the reason why: Besides the  actually settings in the new settings dialog all the other entries in the menu on the left side are deep links to the web site. Some of these lead to the financial account management (payments, subscriptions). As this is outside the in-app subscription management, these links might be against Apple's rules for releases in the App Store. Maybe instead of having an own settings dialog for the App Store version without these links Evernote might have went the "No dialog at all" way. But they should really communicate this better and not put something in the update notes within the App Store that is not in the update.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Hmmm - as long as EN does not tell why, we can’t discard any theory.

Anyhow I don’t believe into this specific idea: On iOS the same AppStore rules apply. But the settings gear wheel is there (has always been), and it holds the same links to the settings pages in the web.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Hmmm - as long as EN does not tell why, we can’t discard any theory.

Anyhow I don’t believe into this specific idea: On iOS the same AppStore rules apply. But the settings gear wheel is there (has always been), and it holds the same links to the settings pages in the web.

No, it does actually not. Not all of the five entries under "Einstellungen" and the links in them are found in the iOS version.

35CACF96-DBE3-44CE-9E16-187001DA86EC.png

Link to comment
  • Level 5

No, not behind „Account“, the first settings option. But behind the extended settings option, the last menu item.

It does link directly to the web account pages, including „Billing“ (Abrechnung).

FE313D43-FF85-4E33-8D5F-1CBB4827522F.thumb.jpeg.7539171f5f62df432f665ecc505dd3dc.jpeg

…..

 

28514CD0-9BAF-49B4-B35B-08E4BFFF81E5.thumb.jpeg.b44c2b242e8cb119f309775347498a67.jpeg

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, not behind „Account“, the first settings option. But behind the extended settings option, the last menu item.

It does link directly to the web account pages, including „Billing“ (Abrechnung).

No, it is not a direct link to https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action like in the new MacOS settings dialog and this is very important. Apple explicitly forbids direct links for signing up for a paid subscription service outside the in-app mechanism. This was one of the crucial points in the legal war with Epic Games.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...