Using Legacy version, but now new version keeps popping up

and it won't allow me to shut it down... I exit it and it starts right up again.

On top of that, it keeps grabbing the focus so I can't use any other app which is running on my computer.

How do I stop the new version from initiating itself?

• Evernote Expert

Is the program trying to launch our its it attempting to install?

From your description it seems that you have both versions installed. In that case, if you don't use Evernote 10, best to uninstall the new version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

… if you really have legacy installed (and not just any other old client, which is NOT legacy), it will never ask for an update. This function is disabled in the legacy clients. 

If you are running on an old client other than legacy, download legacy and move to it. Skip the other old client.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

Is the program trying to launch our its it attempting to install?

From your description it seems that you have both versions installed. In that case, if you don't use Evernote 10, best to uninstall the new version.

That may be the problem... I'll check. However this only started a month or so ago and if it got installed, it wasn't intentional on my part. I've been using Legacy on this computer for a few years... ever since Evernote came out with their so-called "new and improved" edition a few years ago. I had hoped I could continue on with Legacy, but this latest phenomenon ends up taking over my computer so not only can't I use Evernote, but I can't use any other application. I'm using a recent Intel processor, 32 GB of memory and an SSD 1T drive so this behavior is quite alarming.

I'm getting a strange UI so I may not be responding to PinkElephant as is my intention. I am definitely using the Legacy version as it is so marked when I open it.

It seems as though I should uninstall Evernote completely from this computer and be sure to ONLY reinstall the Legacy version. I have stopped adding notes to Evernote as I am switching to One Note for anything new. Hopefully I can get most of my EN notes moved over, but I have 10 years worth (over 20,000) so this is going to be a major chore of filtering out stuff I don't want. I'm chin-deep in Red Cross work preparing for the upcoming hurricane/fire season so this won't happen quickly.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

• Level 5

Actually I am running both clients side by side on my Mac, and have the same installed on my PC (which I don’t use much any more). No such thing on both - legacy and v10 coexist without any problem.

Looks like a bad install has happened, makes no sense to speculate why.

Because traces of each installation will persist when uninstalled using the regular uninstaller (as is the case with most programs), it is recommended to use an uninstaller app to do a thorough job. For PCs Revo Uninstaller is recommended in the forum.

If you run any local notebooks in legacy, make sure to have them backupped yourself before you uninstall.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually I am running both clients side by side on my Mac, and have the same installed on my PC (which I don’t use much any more). No such thing on both - legacy and v10 coexist without any problem.

Looks like a bad install has happened, makes no sense to speculate why.

Because traces of each installation will persist when uninstalled using the regular uninstaller (as is the case with most programs), it is recommended to use an uninstaller app to do a thorough job. For PCs Revo Uninstaller is recommended in the forum.

If you run any local notebooks in legacy, make sure to have them backupped yourself before you uninstall.

Well I uninstalled the Non-legacy version and now my legacy version is trashed - actually the program file folder has nothing in it. I may have lost everything... sigh

I just tried to install Legacy again and it failed. Got a popup asking if I would allow error report to be sent to EN which I did. 

I do have EN installed on a laptop (new version I believe). Hopefully I haven't lost everything.

I downloaded revosetup.exe. I'll try that next. Wondering if there is some garbage in the registry. Yikes!!!

• Level 5

You read the warning about local notebooks ? Well, if you did not have any, no need to think about it.

All online notes are saved on the EN server - no matter what you install or erase on the clients machine. But it really looks there is something badly mixed up on your PC - not only with the EN installations.

Each EN client holds its own database, and puts it into a folder that is exclusive for each client. You can install and uninstall - it will only tackle the related data sets. Unless something is wrong - see above.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

My guess is that you have some program artefacts left installed. There may be a number of Evernote directories remaining. Have a good clean out and then try reinstalling Legacy.

• Like 1

I'm sure that's it... I was preparing to uninstall everything Evernote... I got the non-legacy version uninstalled; removed startup Evernote stuff and started to work on the Legacy after I rebooted. Was messing around with other stuff for a few when suddenly I realized that Legacy was running and behaving nicely. I verified that every notebook was backed-up to an enex type file and did the search that prompted me to start up Evernote to begin with... I also removed the clipper. It's been running for 36 hours now with no issues. I will start the migration over to One Note soon. There is a program around that is supposed to convert enex files to One Note. I haven't tried it yet but hopefully that will suffice as I convert one notebook at a time. Failing that, I'll try to clear out stuff I no longer want or need and move stuff over manually... one notebook a day or so.

Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1