Keyboard shortcut for the “Open in new window” menu option.

vladcampos

Idea

13 replies to this idea

I agree that a simpleway of opening the current note in a new window would be good - or even just a way of opening the three dots (more actions) menu from which you could just hit enter as open in new window is at the top of the list.

The best workaround at the moment is actually not too bad. You will need to convert to mac but on Windows:

alt+ctrl+\ to change the focus from the note to the same note in the note list

ctrl+enter to open the note in the new window.

It's by no means a complete solution. Obviously it won't work if you have the view which desn't have a note list. Strangely it doesn't work if the note is not in view in the note list - you would have to scroll doesn to find it first which is probably not practical.

UPDATE: It seems that, for me at least, the alt+ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut doesn't work if the note is not in view in the note list. If that was fixed then that makes the workaround a little more useful. I don't know how many practical situations there are where the note is not in view - when you click on an internal link now you not only get the note but the note list is moved and the note highlighted. I believe this is relatively new behaviour. In that situation the focus is already on the note list so ctrl+enter opens the note in a new window.

Provided you can see it in the note list and it is highligted with a blue border, ctrl+enter will open it in a new window.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mike P said:

I agree that a simpleway of opening the current note in a new window would be good - or even just a way of opening the three dots (more actions) menu from which you could just hit enter as open in new window is at the top of the list.

The best workaround at the moment is actually not too bad. You will need to convert to mac but on Windows:

alt+ctrl+\ to change the focus from the note to the same note in the note list

ctrl+enter to open the note in the new window.

It's by no means a complete solution. Obviously it won't work if you have the view which desn't have a note list. Strangely it doesn't work if the note is not in view in the note list - you would have to scroll doesn to find it first which is probably not practical.

UPDATE: It seems that, for me at least, the alt+ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut doesn't work if the note is not in view in the note list. If that was fixed then that makes the workaround a little more useful. I don't know how many practical situations there are where the note is not in view - when you click on an internal link now you not only get the note but the note list is moved and the note highlighted. I believe this is relatively new behaviour. In that situation the focus is already on the note list so ctrl+enter opens the note in a new window.

Provided you can see it in the note list and it is highligted with a blue border, ctrl+enter will open it in a new window.

@Mike P thank you so much for taking a time to acknowledge my request and providing helpful workarounds.

Since I use Mac, I can use cmd+enter to open existing note in new window, however, just like you said, if the view doesn't have a note list, it doesn't work. Do you know if there is any keyboard shortcut to invoke the notes list view when the note list is not available? I have tried all shortcuts listed by Evernote but none of it works so far.

Finally, you're so right about the "simpleway of opening the three dots (more actions) menu", that would have been a great workaround too, as it doesn't rely on the notes list view being visible.

2 minutes ago, EvernoteConnoisseur said:

Do you know if there is any keyboard shortcut to invoke the notes list view when the note list is not available?

I don't think there is. In fact there is no way, that I know of, to open the note list with the note selected, even using the mouse.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I don't think there is. In fact there is no way, that I know of, to open the note list with the note selected, even using the mouse.

Thank you for confirming this, much appreciated.

If you come across any new workarounds in the future, please share. Thank you again.

5 minutes ago, EvernoteConnoisseur said:

Thank you for confirming this, much appreciated.

The most usual way of getting this view with no note list is from shortcuts or recent notes. In that case double clicking the link in the sidebar opens the note in the "no note list view" and opens it in a new window.

One you have opened it, if you really dont want to use the mouse then:

ctrl+shift+F10 to put the focus on the editing tool bar.

shift+tab to go to the three dots menu

Enter to open the menu

Enter to select the first item - open note in new window

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@EvernoteConnoisseur No EN Team around here. You can spare us posting a variation of the same old posting again.

@PinkElephantPlease don't use this type of bullying language. Your phrase "spare us" attempts to or has the effect of turning other forum members against me, which is an act of bullying.

Also, who made you the police on what other members should or should not post? Your self-assigned policing tone is unwelcoming, rude and a turn-off. Please consider examining the impact of your language before posting something like this in the future. I don't expect an apology but you must be made known how your communication style affected me.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@EvernoteConnoisseur That nobody posted between January 4th and today pretty much shows the low popularity of this feature request in general.

First I do not agree with your label of "low popularity." Also, many successful companies take into account many factors to determine popularity of a feature, not just by number or frequency of forum posts alone. Thank you for voting your support for the feature though.

One other thought. If you don't like having to remember to double click notes in shortcuts a workaround is:

• create a "dummy" tag with the tag name being a shortened version of the note title
  • Add this to the note
  • Add the tag to shortcuts

Then when you click on thatshortcut it opens a normal view with one highlighted note in the note list and a normal view of the note. You can then ctrl+enter to open it in a new window.

4 hours ago, Mike P said:

The most usual way of getting this view with no note list is from shortcuts or recent notes. In that case double clicking the link in the sidebar opens the note in the "no note list view" and opens it in a new window.

One you have opened it, if you really dont want to use the mouse then:

ctrl+shift+F10 to put the focus on the editing tool bar.

shift+tab to go to the three dots menu

Enter to open the menu

Enter to select the first item - open note in new window

@Mike P Thank you so much for this!

I think I've only made one post/feature request in the last couple of years that I've been active on the forums and it was to expand opening in new window functionality: 

Being able to open a note in a new window with a keyboard shortcut was my #3 on the list (although in priority-order I think it would have been #2).

With the BetterTouchTool Mac app, I can group a series of keyboard shortcuts into one global keyboard shortcut and with your comment here the light clicked on for me and I've combined those four series of keystrokes into just one keystroke.

image.png.dab0b441b3b4285b2b81df58e5a87893.png

So now, when I'm in a note, I can press Cmd-Option-O and the note in the editor opens in a new window. This should work great until (and if) Evernote happens to implement it directly in the app. (Note for others that the keyboard cursor focus has to be in the note editor for this keyboard sequence to work.)

Thanks again! 🏆

---

Edit: While I've never used it, I've heard of it and have seen several people in these forums mention AutoHotkey which I think could do the equivalent BetterTouchTool implementation on the Windows side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow @Mike P and @Boot17, within about 12 hours that I posted my last message, both of you managed to provide tangible solution to an issue that Evernote couldn't deliver to for probably years (ever since Evernote 10 came out).

Using the BTT Mac tool, I am able to assign any keyboard shortcut I want to get my Evernote note to open in new window now. This is amazing!!! 🙏

• Thanks 1
On 3/29/2023 at 7:55 PM, Boot17 said:

Edit: While I've never used it, I've heard of it and have seen several people in these forums mention AutoHotkey which I think could do the equivalent BetterTouchTool implementation on the Windows side.

Here is the script for AutoHotKey (Version 2). I've taken a slightly different approach of using Note in the main menu (accessed from the keyboard by just hitting and releasing the Alt key) rather than the three dots - although that was my original idea. This has the advantage that it works if the focus is on the note in the note list (in which case double click also works) as well as if the focus is in the actual note. 

I've chosen Ctrl+Shift+n to trigger it

^+n::
{
	SetKeyDelay 100
	send "{LAlt}{Right 3}{Enter}{Down}{Enter}"
}

EDIT: If it's unreliable try increasing the SetKeyDelay above the 100ms I've used above.

• Like 1