Cannot open pdf file

I use evernote on my surface go.
When using the surface go in tablet mode, normally a hold down on the screen works the same as a right mouse click. However, when I long press to open a pdf attached to evernote, I get no response. I want to read the pdf saved in evernote with an external pdf reader while using the surface go in tablet mode. How can I do this?

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Kume said:

.... I want to read the pdf saved in evernote with an external pdf reader while using the surface go in tablet mode. How can I do this?

Probably you need to save the pdf on the device, and then open the file with the external reader.

AFAIK EN itself supports the internal reader, and on MacOS the build in Preview app (or other PDF apps set as default on the Mac). Windows seems to be a bit behind.

6 hours ago, agsteele said:

Try the press in the title bar for the PDF. That should pop up a menu button which includes the option to Open the PDF.

Thanks for the reply.
I try that  but my tablet does not pop up.
There is no response.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably you need to save the pdf on the device, and then open the file with the external reader.

AFAIK EN itself supports the internal reader, and on MacOS the build in Preview app (or other PDF apps set as default on the Mac). Windows seems to be a bit behind.

Thanks for your reply.
I can't save the pdf on my device because it  show nothing as the menu regarding the pdf.

And that would be very disappointing to me if I could save it to my device, because the nice thing about evernote is that I can manage my data on multiple devices.

I see that support is lagging on windows. Thanks for letting me know.

• Level 5

On mobile: Open the note, tap on the blue edit button, now tap on the pdf. It gets a blue outline. 

At this moment additional options show above of the keyboard: Tap the down arrow, it is to download the file to the device.

Open it from there in any app.

3AAD90AB-AEC2-492E-8E69-B95BF5D93078.thumb.jpeg.dd2f816a4b05e363caa7a2ced605755c.jpeg

On Android you can just click on the PDF and it will open inside the evernote app.

However it's worth mentioning that PDF is not always equal to PDF. there are many, many different formats which are all called PDF (rather like word documents in this respect). It's quite possible that the evernote app only supports some of these formats and not all.

• Like 1

Pink Elephant, ehrt74

Thanks for the advice.
Quite simply, my problem is solved.
My problem was that I could not open PDFs in Evernote.
Pink Elephant told that when I tap on the PDF,  gets a blue outline, but my problem was that I couldn't even get that outline to appear.

I was using the legacy version of Evernote because I was having trouble using the lastest version. I just upgraded to the latest version and now I can open PDFs.
To be honest, with each version upgrade, the Evernote software is getting harder to use, but I can't do without being able to open PDFs. This time I give up to upgrade.

Thank you all for your answers.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that some of my PDFs open right in Evernote and some don’t.  I try to make sure I have made an OCR version of a pdf, but even then some I cannot open without an external pdf reader.  Is there a list of pdf formats that work best for opening and searching within Evernote?

On 4/12/2022 at 10:33 PM, ehrt74 said:

On Android you can just click on the PDF and it will open inside the evernote app.

However it's worth mentioning that PDF is not always equal to PDF. there are many, many different formats which are all called PDF (rather like word documents in this respect). It's quite possible that the evernote app only supports some of these formats and not all.

thanks

Daq

• Evernote Expert
1 minute ago, lizhk said:

I see that some of my PDFs open right in Evernote and some don’t.  I try to make sure I have made an OCR version of a pdf, but even then some I cannot open without an external pdf reader.  Is there a list of pdf formats that work best for opening and searching within Evernote?

Which Evernote application are you working with? All should open a PDF on one way or another. The desktop applications will display the PDF content inside the now (unless you set it to view as an attachment). The mobile applications display as an attachment by default but opening then should open in the Evernote PDF viewer. 

In both cases, if you wish to edit the PDF then you need to open inside an external viewer.

Please tell us which application you are working with and we may be able to help...

5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Which Evernote application are you working with? All should open a PDF on one way or another. The desktop applications will display the PDF content inside the now (unless you set it to view as an attachment). The mobile applications display as an attachment by default but opening then should open in the Evernote PDF viewer. 

In both cases, if you wish to edit the PDF then you need to open inside an external viewer.

Please tell us which application you are working with and we may be able to help...

Hi and thanks.

I am using IOS and Android and Windows (I know, go figure).

Right now on the same document Android wants to use external viewer.  IOS took almost 5 minutes of I thought, doing nothing, them opened it.  I am not sure if it downloaded it but that seemed to be the only option available.

I am away from my Windows desktop right now so I can’t check that.

I only want to read and most importantly search with my PDFs. I have a premium account.

I notice Some PDFs show a small image of the first page in the search results and some don’t but I am not sure why.

any light you can shed on this is most appreciated.

Daq

• Evernote Expert

I have no iOS experience so well have too wait for someone else to come along.

On Android v10.30.1 PDFs appear in notes as an attachment. I tap the PDF and it just opens on the screen inside Evernote.

Do work with the PDF in a reader such as Acrobat I tap and hold the PDF. After a moment a menu appears at the bottom of the screen which includes an Annotate button and also a download saver button. Saving places the PDF on the device and the ability to open it in an external program.

• Level 5

Never had a problem to open a pdf in the iOS client. Open the note, tap on the attachment icon, and it opens, usually in a blink.

But as a standard for the mobile client attachments are not downloaded by default. So if you are an a slow network, and open a large pdf, it may take a while to download the file from the server. EN for iOS uses the own viewer to show a pdf - not an external one. To open the file externally, I need to download it from the note first, and then open it with the external program.

In general there are no „different“ pdfs. There are different pdf standards, but for the casual user they are interchangeable. It does not matter if a pdf was OCRed or not. OCR only means there is a text layer in the file in addition to the graphical layer.

Whether a thumbnail shows or not is usually a question of time. If a note has any graphical content (and a pdf is treated as such), a thumbnail will be eventually generated. But this happens on the server, in a queue, so on busy days it may take a little.

With search it is a 2 step process: The app search will return notes where the search string is inside of an attachment. It will show the note, but not where in the attachments it found the content. It will only show when the string is found in the notes own text body.

So inside of a note found by search, one needs to open the attachment (or several, if there is more than one) and search inside of the attachment again. In the viewer top right is a magnifying glass - this is the search function inside of the attachment.

As a result it will show all pages with a search hit, and the user can select which he wants to see. Here an example from a camera manual:

57A8C4AF-F9AB-4EB3-8EEF-181D09C87C07.thumb.png.e4c0874713b70a94b302077290e172b1.png

• 4 months later...