Add virtual device 2fa support

Go to solution Solved by SteveAbbot,

• Solution

Using sms text for 2fa to the phone works OK (there remains risk in using this method - see link below), until it does not work (see my other thread about it not working right now)

I suggest adding support for virtual device 2fa apps (google authenticator, authy, whatever. ....)

This will decouple the 2fa from a physical device (super lame solution)

The benefit is that I can now depend on my 2fa virtual device code for authentication, and now no longer have to worry about evernotes implementation of 2fa to send a text or call a phone to work or the loss of my physical device.

for reference, a cnn article calling out why sending a direct sms text is a poor choice for 2fa

https://www.cnet.com/news/privacy/do-you-use-sms-for-two-factor-authentication-heres-why-you-shouldnt/

• Level 5

All subscribers can use ANY authenticator app that generates time-based cipher codes.

2FA via SMS is for Free accounts the only option, subscribers have the choice. 

EN had mixed it up in a help document (hope they have fixed it), and they talk about Google authenticator everywhere, which is not true. This they haven't fixed (support tickets were closed), but you can't have everything. Maybe they get their paperwork and message boxes updated one fine day ...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
18 minutes ago, scojjac said:

Go to https://help.evernote.com, make sure you’re logged in. In the menu, click My Requests. I have a couple from 7 years ago listed

Thanks for this. If never seen this before. Probably because I didn't log in to this area. I can see that all my tickets are marked 'solved' whereas closed or abandoned might be appropriate for some ;)

• Level 5

Support loves „Solved“ tickets - probably they have a sort of metrics on it.

Solved can mean anything - from „solved by passing it on to the devs“ to „solved because we all ran out of further ideas“.

In the end a „solution“ as I learned in chemical class eons ago means one substance (the ticket) dissolves in another (the support system) until it can’t be seen any more. It is still there, but „in solution“.

But maybe I am just mixing up things here …

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Support loves „Solved“ tickets - probably they have a sort of metrics on it.

Solved can mean anything - from „solved by passing it on to the devs“ to „solved because we all ran out of further ideas“.

In the end a „solution“ as I learned in chemical class eons ago means one substance (the ticket) dissolves in another (the support system) until it can’t be seen any more. It is still there, but „in solution“.

But maybe I am just mixing up things here …

Yeah, my HTML ticket has been 'solved' as well 😞  As long as it isn't 'burned', I still hope they will find it in their pile of outstanding issues and fix it ...

• Like 1