Can I move the Evernote folder from My Documents?

MikeEddyFL

Idea

I searched to the best of my ability and could not find an answer. I am using the latest Windows version of Evernote and would like to know if I can move the "Evernote" folder our of My Documents to another location? Any help is appreciated.

9 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

I am 95% certain that this folder in My Documents is a hangover from the older version of Evernote. Some data could be left over from the Evernote 10 installation which disabled the Legacy version

If I am correct you can safely delete it.

The safest option would be to completely uninstall Evernote 10 using a program such as Revo Uninstaller. Reboot your PC for complete safety. If the Evernote folder in My Documents is still present then you can delete it and all its contents. You can also check that the legacy 'Evernote Data' folder has been cleaned out too. I can't tell you where that will be as it is configurable in Legacy so it could be almost anywhere. You'll have to search for 'Evernote Data' and see what appears.

When you've completed the housekeeping you can reinstall Evernote 10.34 - get the installer from www.evernote.com if you don't already have it to hand.

Once loaded login and the data will reload from the Evernote servers.

• Evernote Expert

As previously suggested, completely uninstall. Remove all directories that you want gone. Then reinstall and allow the data to be recreated from the Evernote servers.  That's where the master copy is. A backup may not hold everything (it should but may not).

If the folder is recreated then you know it is part of the v10 installation. Otherwise it is safely gone.

• Evernote Expert

Well I'm sorry that I was incorrect but glad that the process provided an answer. I don't think that this particular directory uses significant amounts of space but it is good to know what needs to stay and what can go.

• Evernote Expert

You say you are using the latest version of the program. However, the data directory for Evernote 10 is not in My Documents.  The folder you describe is typically linked to the older version of Evernote - now usually called 'Legacy'.

Can you please confirm the version number of the program that you are using and we may be able to advise more definitely.

Thank you for your quick response.

Version 10.34.4-win-ddl-public (3310)
Editor: v145.1.17877
Service: v1.50.2

The folder contains sub-folder "205617774" containing folder "external-edits", and sub-folder "Failed Uploads"

screenshot.png

Thank you for the tips. My concern is that I have a new computer, I used the most recent installer from the Evernote site, I can't find an "Evernote Data" folder and the "external-edits" folder contains items from the day I started using Evernote up through today. I am using Windows 11 so something may have recently changed. I think I will leave it as is for now and take another pill for my OCD. Thanks again!

Final Result

I uninstalled every reference to Evernote that I could find in my files and registry. Then I reinstalled it using the latest installer on the Evernote website. Unfortunately, the folder in question was recreated. At this point I will live with it, but I would like to thank you both for trying to help!

• Like 1