Evernote crashes when starting up

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hi I'm running om Windows 10 (see attachment for version) and Evernote 10.33.5. When I launch Evernote it crashes.See second screenshot. I'v deinstalled the desktopversion and reinstalled, but the problem still occurs.

Anybody having the same problems and know any solution?

Kind regards,

windows build.jpg

error installatie evernote.jpg

• Level 5
  • Solution

I think you may need a complete uninstall, not just the usual ***** Windows offers. It leaves old files on the drive.

Get an uninstaller (Revo Uninstaller was mentioned in the forum, I am on a Mac), install it and run it to get rid of every piece of software and data from the EN installation.

Then restart the PC, and install a fresh copy of EN from the Evernote.com website.

• Level 5

OK, good it worked this way.

Just to mention it: The developer behind CC Cleaner was taken over a while ago. Since there are reports it draws a lot of data from its customers computers.

It used to be a great tool, I had it on my PC as well, back then - today I would not use it any longer.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

OK, good it worked this way.

Just to mention it: The developer behind CC Cleaner was taken over a while ago. Since there are reports it draws a lot of data from its customers computers.

It used to be a great tool, I had it on my PC as well, back then - today I would not use it any longer.

I will deinstall. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

The good news is that CCleaner is owned by Avast which has a pretty good track record and the problems apparently arose from external hacks of the program which were identified and dealt with. I'm still happy with CCleaner.
https://techjury.net/reviews/is-ccleaner-safe/

CCleaner has been hacked twice since Avast acquired it in mid-2017. After these infamous incidents, the solid reputation it built throughout its first 13 years quickly went down the drain...

...The so-called CCleaner malware was capable of gathering sensitive data, like IP (Internet Protocol) addresses. The stolen data would end up in a third-party server in the United States.

According to reports, Its goal was to spy on select tech companies. Axiom (the alleged Chinese hacking group behind it) was probably trying to steal industry secrets.

...The first cyberattack affected the free CCleaner for Windows version 5.33.6162. The other target was the free CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191.

So, if you have a more updated iteration of either app, it shouldn’t infect your hardware. If you have a 64-bit Windows system, to begin with, you won’t have to worry about the infection. The CCleaner malware impacted machines with 32-bit processors.

Also, the malware wasn’t a CCleaner virus. It consisted of two Trojans, which couldn’t replicate themselves.

The second was a wave of attacks that occurred from mid-May to early October 2019. The hackers infiltrated Avast’s network through an employee’s VPN (virtual private network) credentials. The company believed that the cybercriminals were trying to slip malicious code into CCleaner.

Fortunately, Avast was able to nip the second coming of the CCleaner malware in the bud.

• Level 5

It is not about breaches (which in itself are no good with a security company). It is about sucking and selling user data.

This link is one I could grab on the fly (yes, from a commercial site).It tells in short what I got in recent years from trusted security blogs I follow. Should have clipped it into EN 😉  - but I skipped using them a while ago, and am only very scarcely using a PC these days. So for me the case was closed by uninstalling.

https://www.safetydetectives.com/blog/avast-scandal-why-we-stopped-recommending-avast-avg/