Lost notes

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hi there,

Need some help here. I was typing my notes on my iphone (evernote version 10.29), saved it, then when I opened the app, the notes started disappearing right in my eyes. Any way I can retrieve my notes back? I tried using the trouble shooting steps provided by evernote, but it doesn't work.

Trying to keep calm here. Thanks.

• Level 5

Open the web client in a browser, check whether the note appears there.

If yes, it seems it reached the server before „something“ happened to it in the iOS client.

If no, we can only try to locate it on the iOS device where it was created.

What does „saw note disappearing in my eyes“ mean in less prosaic, but more precise words ?

I checked my web browser too, all that is left with was the title.

So I recorded my notes and saved it like I usually do. I remembered the last thing I did was that I uploaded an image into the note and saved it.

When I returned to my notebook - typically you get to see 3 lines of your notes in preview. The previewed notes disappeared and when I opened my notes, the written notes are all gone. Any idea how I could retrieve them back?

• Level 5
  • Solution

So the note is still there, it is on the web as well, but it is only the title ?

Do you have a desktop client available ? Are you on a subscription ?

Then it is possible to recover the note through note history. Open the note in the desktop client, click on 3 dots top right, select Note Information, and below the fields with note informations you see a text link to go back to prior versions. You can set the note back, or restore to an older version as a copy.

If you are not on a subscription, you can decide: If you subscribe for a month, note history becomes accessible. It runs on Free accounts in the background as well, but to access it, you need to be a subscriber. So it is basically the question if the lost content is worth a month of Personal subscription.

Thanks for your help. Got my notes back after I subscribed to the paid model.

Any idea why this happens? Just scary to know that my notes can disappear within Evernote.

• Level 5

As you could see, the note itself did not vanish. I think you made a change (probably without wanting), and the note synced in that moment.

Note history is made to correct issues like that, when a normal „last action reset“ does not work any more.

To make a note vanish entirely, you need to send it to the trash, then go there, select that note a second time, and delete it from the trash. I don’t think this will happen by accident.

• Like 1