Ability to format text around images aka inline graphics or wrap around text

RobertTostevin

Idea

I previous versions (pre 10) you used to be able to add an image or graphic "in line" so that you could indent it and place text around it .

Can we have this back please - being only to have text before and after an image is pretty primitive.

So we will be able to do something like this ...

Some text here
text here [[ Graphic ]]  more text
more text lines here etc

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure what version of Evernote you were using, but I'm on the last public version before 10 and there has never been a way to organise an image on a page.  Best I can do is either to use a table and put images and text in different cells,  or attach a Word document or a PDF that does have some layout features.  v10 has the widest range of options yet...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt anything like this will appear - it is typically a feature of advanced word processing or page layout programs. The EN editor is build for simplicity.

The closest you can get is by inserting a table: 3x3, join the cells in the rows above and below the row with the picture.

You can now write Text with the full table width above and below, and left and right of the picture. The text will not wrap, however.

Since the forum is user2user, if you want to place your request with EN PM, use the feedback function in the clients.

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Not sure what version of Evernote you were using, but I'm on the last public version before 10 and there has never been a way to organise an image on a page.  Best I can do is either to use a table and put images and text in different cells,  or attach a Word document or a PDF that does have some layout features.  v10 has the widest range of options yet...

if you install the legacy edition you will see what I mean - you can do it in that 

Like this 
text or indent [image] more text 

try it - I use the legacy edition on Windows to do it all the time but when you look at it in the new version it's mangled 

Please see the attached graphics - you can see what you can do in the Windows Legacy App (& previous Windows versions) versus what the exact same thing looks like now - and if you try to this same thing from scratch you'll noticed that you can't

I tried using a table but the problem is that you can't hide the borders.

InlLineGraphics-Old_LegacyEdition..png

InlLineGraphics-NewApp.png

• Level 5

In fact legacy is history - you can continue to use it, but there is no guarantee that something originally created in legacy will look the same in v10. 

Differences between legacy clients are nothing new when using different platforms. Comparing legacy on Windows and Mac, a part was similar, but there was no feature parity between the two. This was equalized with v10 and the new editor. So there are ups and downs.

You can send feature requests to EN PM using the feedback function in the clients. Up to now EN has not shown any tendency to make changes to the new editor.

I think you won’t get 1:1 support for your very specific use case. Better find ways to adapt it - as you found out yourself, all effort in legacy with special formatting may be wasted once you use v10. And legacy will not stay on forever.

@gazumped Just posted a nice workaround.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, RobertTostevin said:

This very thing was available in Windows version pre v10 

Yes it was. If you want it then keep on pressing the Evernote devs. Sadly, asking here is unlikely to have much effect since the devs are not very conspicuous. As others have said send direct feedback to Evernote from within the application.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In fact legacy is history - you can continue to use it, but there is no guarantee that something originally created in legacy will look the same in v10. 

Differences between legacy clients are nothing new when using different platforms. Comparing legacy on Windows and Mac, a part was similar, but there was no feature parity between the two. This was equalized with v10 and the new editor. So there are ups and downs.

You can send feature requests to EN PM using the feedback function in the clients. Up to now EN has not shown any tendency to make changes to the new editor.

I think you won’t get 1:1 support for your very specific use case. Better find ways to adapt it - as you found out yourself, all effort in legacy with special formatting may be wasted once you use v10. And legacy will not stay on forever.

@gazumped Just posted a nice workaround.

Thanks I will submit it a s you suggest - I thought I was doing that in this post - but clearly not

This seems a very basic thing to me to be able to do - indent an image or place text before or after an image - clearly they thought it worthwhile to have it in the original (Windows) version.

I understand the rationale to get all clients on all platforms - desktop & mobile - to be same but it's frustrating how long it's taken them to get this far.

That said - thankfully hanging on rather than jumping ship to another product is now paying off (It was so bad when they first released I really did consider it) - its a lot better and more stable now - just a few niggles like this :)

Thanks

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Ah.

1221000202_ScreenClip2.png.f9cd2e15b99e61c90f771363fe369d08.png

- And in Windows there's also an onscreen keyboard with optional emojis....

Thanks - I'll do this - this is a great workaround  .. however I would like to be able to indent graphics as well though so will submit a feedback as suggested

thanks

• Like 1