Quick Jump (Cmd+J) should give option to open note in new window

aukirk

Idea

Often when processing my inbox or working on a saved search, I know that there is another note I want to open or add a link to, and the Cmd+J feature makes it so easy to find that note.  However, it always opens in full screen, replacing the saved list or notebook view that I was working on.  I have tried right clicking the results or Cmd+click, but there does not seem to be any way to open the selected result from the Quick Jump results in a new menu.  This would be very helpful.

P.S. Another way to solve this issue would be allow us to open two instances of Evernote in different windows.... not tabs, but two distinct windows that can be worked on next to each other.

• Like 1

3 replies to this idea

7 minutes ago, aukirk said:

P.S. Another way to solve this issue would be allow us to open two instances of Evernote in different windows.... not tabs, but two distinct windows that can be worked on next to each other.

Isn't that what we already have? You can open a note in a new window. If you use ctrl+Q on Windows (I assume cmd+J will do the same on Mac) the new note replaces the note in the main window but not in the new window.

9 hours ago, Mike P said:

Isn't that what we already have? You can open a note in a new window. If you use ctrl+Q on Windows (I assume cmd+J will do the same on Mac) the new note replaces the note in the main window but not in the new window.

I am not following what you are saying.... At least with Mac, Cmd+J "opens" the selected note in the main window.  If you are viewing a notebook or saved search, selecting the note from the list on the left opens a preview on the right.  If you double click the name on the left, it opens that note in a "new" window entirely, which is separate from the main Evernote instance.  However, when you do Cmd+J and select the note, it does not provide the option to open the note in a "new" window... rather, the note opens full width in the main instance of Evernote, and you lose the view of the notebook or saved search you are working on (i.e. you can no longer see the list of notes you were viewing).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, aukirk said:

I am not following what you are saying.... At least with Mac, Cmd+J "opens" the selected note in the main window.  If you are viewing a notebook or saved search, selecting the note from the list on the left opens a preview on the right.  If you double click the name on the left, it opens that note in a "new" window entirely, which is separate from the main Evernote instance.  However, when you do Cmd+J and select the note, it does not provide the option to open the note in a "new" window... rather, the note opens full width in the main instance of Evernote, and you lose the view of the notebook or saved search you are working on (i.e. you can no longer see the list of notes you were viewing).

I agree completely with what you are saying. The opening of some types of link, not just cmd+J, to the weird view with no note list is extremely annoying. All I was trying to point out is that if you are working on a note in a separate window it is not effected by opening another note using cmd+J in the main window. You could I suppose launch that new note in another separate window and then use the back arrow to return to your original context. That's ok as a workaround but a bit of a pain. Personally I would like to see the weird "no note list view" scrapped completely. Many note links have the option to open in a new window and this should be standard for all including cmd+J.