Please give us old and good Evernote back

• Level 5

The change from the old „one account 2 views“ data structure to the „2 account structure“ was done years ago. If I am not mistaken this was changed way before the new clients were released in autumn 2020.

The key documents were available from the beginning. Sure EN edited some of them later, to reflect the new plans. But Business just got a new name - the underlying data structure had been changed long before.

As I already pointed out, for a long time EN did not force account holders to make the switch. You had to switch when you wanted the new features, however.

• 2 months later...

Evernote Legacy RULES!

I waited and waited to finally trust and upgrade to the latest Evernote just in the last month or so.  And it seemed to be copasetic, until tonight when I went to print out an old note that I have been printing from Evernote Legacy for years without issue, to a single page.  BUT with the new Evernote it printed out to several pages, and cut off text.   And that's when I had to start researching again, how to turn off titles in print outs, and reformat old notes to print, when they printed fine before... in Legacy. It turned into a Rube Goldberg puzzle. 

D*** it when I have an old note that worked, I just want it to keep working, like a piece of paper I can pull out of a file!  But no, we must upgrade and waste time with old notes no longer working as they did, and having to redo everything!

*SIGH* the cost of technology.  Companies that do this to us should PAY US to undo and redo what we did with their stuff in the first place. For after all, we paid them with money and our trust to give us a product of consistency, didn't we?

So I went back to Evernote  Legacy again, and it works as always.   Here is the main point of software upgrades:  Sometimes a sledge hammer is a sledge hammer, and that sledge hammer works for what it was meant do to. Try as you might,  you cannot improve on a sledge hammer without diminishing its capability for the job it was actually meant to do.  Evernote PLEASE, feel free to add whatever you want around the center of what we have grown to depend on, BUT ALWAYS make sure the sledge hammer stays in tact.  Else we must put you in the toolbox of past tools. 

IDEA: Build Evernote Legacy into current product as a switch, so that when we run into YET ANOTHER thing that does not work in the new product that did work in Legacy, we can simply push the button and go back to Legacy to get done what we need to while under time pressure, and a report goes back to Evernote to fix the issue in the new product.  Seems logical.  Spock would agree. 

Side Note:  I have been forced to use MS One Note for work, and have been gravitating in the direction of their sledge hammer.  It's only a  matter of time before Evernote becomes "Evernoted" in the past.  😞

Sorry for the rant. But it makes sense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

Yes, printing is about the only thing I use Legacy for since the function is entirely broken in v10. For me, since I'm almost entirely paperless, I manage will enough. If I need to print from v10 I might take the convoluted route of exporting to HTML then printing from within a browser. But Legacy is superior for printing. I have as good as a switch having the two icons on my desktop. I need to print I click on the Legacy shortcut open the note and print.

But you are correct, printing is not useful in v10.

• Level 5

@HRC, I understand about the need to rant. But it only makes sense if you rant to the people who can do something about it. Who are not your fellow users here, but the Evernote staff who can be reached through https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. But the fact is that they are never going to reactivate Legacy and build it into the current version, which works on an entirely different programming framework and principles. V. 10, I continue to think, was released long, long before it was really ready, and has therefore left people clinging fiercely to v. 6. I finally found v. 10 to have reached a stage where it had (1) enough of the old functionality back and (2) enough really useful new functionality to install the program (after trying it out in the Web version). But ... definitely not printing, which is a shame.

• Like 1