How to make search smarter?

On the evernote legacy app, when searching for a keyword , "boy", a note with title "boys" will never appear unless I literally type "boys". 

My current workaround is to include the most common synonyms in the note title but it's not ideal. Is there any better workaround?

20 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Works in V10. Search for "muc" finds "much". It will only find words that begin with the search string though.

image.png.2fb7e841bfeabfe875234386a5614dda.png

yes  I'm aware, but v10 has so many flaws that I'm staying with Legacy permanently. 

• Evernote Expert
30 minutes ago, Titus said:

yes  I'm aware, but v10 has so many flaws that I'm staying with Legacy permanently

That may be a flawed plan too. An OS update or changes in the back end at Evernote could mean the end of Legacy. Not tomorrow but eventually.

If v10 doesn't cut the mustard for you then perhaps you should explore an alternative product that does what you need.

• Level 5

1) I can't confirm this observation that when you search for boys, you have to type it all. Tried on my 7.14 legacy install on the Mac, and it finds all endings for the word beginning I have typed. When I type "barc", it will for example find notes with "Barcelona" as well as notes with "Barcamp".

2) It may even find stuff in the middle of words. Just typed "lona", and it found "Barcelona", and marked it in the search result.

SCR-20220324-dr5.png.8278627f2d561a54cfa1260c068193a7.png

But search in the middle of the word is not fully reliable - maybe it depends on the embedded OCR-data, and how it is structured.

3) Search in v10 is similar, with some differences: The new filters add a good method to restrict search - especially the "Contains" filter is very useful. The same can be done with search syntax, but filters are often the quicker way. On the downside if a search string is contained in an attachment, the note itself will show in search results, but you often have to employ the "Search in note" option to locate it exactly.

Personally I hardly do any work in legacy any more. It simply is not necessary, and it feels aged compared to v10. To stay with legacy is no permanent solution, it may stop to work one day, and it can happen that an OS-change or a security issue will kill it without notice.

I stayed on Legacy mainly because they removed the basic checklist to Tasks on v10 and pitched it as a premium feature. I guess that hasn't changed right? Are there still  plenty of bugs on v10?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Titus said:

when searching for a keyword , "boy"

Are you literally using the word plus the quotes as the search?  Because using the word without the quotes (in 6.25) gets me results like - 

891692127_ScreenClip3.png.70635a4e0ee1664443d5c468c96463ed.png

If a restart doesn't fix this,  try Ctrl+Help and one or both of the 'recreate search index' options from the enhanced menu.  Get a backup of the databases folder first - and beware that if you have a lot of notes, this can take a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g time.  Beverage(s) may be required...

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Titus said:

I stayed on Legacy mainly because they removed the basic checklist to Tasks on v10 and pitched it as a premium feature. I guess that hasn't changed right? Are there still  plenty of bugs on v10?

THere is a standard checklist in version10 in all subscription levels Free and above. Tasks were added and provide a different approach to action lists. Tasks are available at all levels although with more sophistication at each level. The Legacy style check boxes still exist although it is true that v10 tends to want to convert lists like this to its new checklist style. Even so there are some minor tweaks that keep check boxes. So I'm not not sure what your experience was but what you imply doesn't seem to match with experience.  Can you say more about what you mean by 'basic checklist'? I may be misunderstanding you.

As for bugs... There are issues - some bugs but also many changes in the ways things can be done. I often see complaints about this or that bug which are, in reality, complaints that the v10 product doesn't do whatever in the way that people were familiar with. So yes, there are some bugs but they are gradually being resolved.

You can install v10 and give it a try. If it works for you then great. But nothing is lost. You can revert to Legacy or even have both loaded alongside one another while you are testing. In the past once v10 was installed you needed to reinstall Legacy in order for it to run cleanly alongside. Because I use v10 with only very occasional reference to Legacy I disabled all the keyboard shortcuts in Legacy to avoid conflicts with v10.

Personally, I found that once I committed myself to adjusting my ways of working it was only a few days before v10 was my default interface. It does almost everything I need. I only switch to Legacy if I need to edit HTML imported content and if I want to print a note.  But I doubt that I do either of these things more than two or three times a year these days.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, agsteele said:

You can install v10 and give it a try. If it works for you then great. But nothing is lost. You can revert to Legacy or even have both loaded alongside one another while you are testing.

Alternatively you could use the web version which is probably 95% the same as the desktop versions. You will certainly get a good feel for what V10 is like although there are some limitations compared to the desktop version (e.g. export).

• Level 5

Tasks is not available at all on legacy, so it does not sound logical to move to legacy because a single Tasks feature would not be available on v10. Don't know what feature is meant, anyhow.

There was an initial phase when Tasks was starting, when all users from Free to Teams could use all Tasks functionality. It was clearly said that after this initial rollout phase, access to features will be segmented based on the subscription plans.

So if you NEED a certain feature, look it up in the plans information, or ask support. Then you may have to subscribe to that level. If you only WANT it without needing, it is your personal decision whether to spend that money or not. Legacy again means "No Tasks access at all".