Can't select text to copy and paste

Hoping someone has had and solved a similar problem... 

All of the sudden I cannot copy and paste text on Evernote; i.e I cannot select the text to highlight in order to copy and paste. I have no idea why... this function is working in other apps. Help!! 

4 hours ago, MargaretWN said:

Hoping someone has had and solved a similar problem... 

All of the sudden I cannot copy and paste text on Evernote; i.e I cannot select the text to highlight in order to copy and paste. I have no idea why... this function is working in other apps. Help!! 

Would be helpful to know what version of EN you are using. Are you selecting with the mouse or keyboard keys? Certainly I am not experiencing anything like this on Windows:

10.33.5-win-ddl-public (3295)
Editor: v144.1.17876
Service: v1.49.2
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

It would also be helpful if you could describe the process you are trying to follow... Are you pasting into text that is inside an HTML block for example?  That does not work.

Assuming you are using v10 of Evernote. Sometimes these types of issue can arise and it requires the Evernote data to be reset. You could try the following menus...

File | Sign Out | Remove Evernote data from this device

When you log back in to Evernote the database will be recreated so allow a few minutes for that to happen. Then try again.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies! I just updated Evernote hoping that would help. I am trying to do the most basic version of copying and pasting. So for example, I've taken some notes and I'm just trying to select the text to copy and paste. I think the issue is not being able to select the text. I am trying to use my mouse. I know it is the app and not my computer because this function is working fine everywhere else. I've tried signing in and out, but maybe I will try this re-set... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, MargaretWN said:

It does let me use the select all function under edit, but it won't let me right or left click or select the portion of text I want. 

OK - back to first principles:  is the source of your text an Evernote note?  If so,  where did the text in the note come from - a web page / scanned document / PDF file?

-And if the text is not coming from a note,  where are you copying from?

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have the same infuriating issue. This has never happened with any other legitimate program that i can recall. Signing out and removing data from my mac has not solved the problem. I have been using EN for about 8 years but I am tired of its eccentricities, especially this one which makes the program unusable. I would not advise anyone starting out to invest their time in using this program. Problems occur in all software but it is nearly impossible to reach a live tech person, the program is not well supported in that regard--you are on your own.

• Level 5*
On 1/6/2024 at 5:22 PM, radeux said:

I have the same infuriating issue. This has never happened with any other legitimate program that i can recall. Signing out and removing data from my mac has not solved the problem. I have been using EN for about 8 years but I am tired of its eccentricities, especially this one which makes the program unusable. I would not advise anyone starting out to invest their time in using this program. Problems occur in all software but it is nearly impossible to reach a live tech person, the program is not well supported in that regard--you are on your own.

Hi.  You're re-opening a year-old discussion and giving no other information than 'unusable'.  You've not even raised a question here.  If you need some help we are available...

• Level 5
On 1/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, radeux said:

I have the same infuriating issue.

Have you tried any of the same steps / questions posted a year ago? In particular: Windows, Mac, Android, Web...? What is the source of the text you're trying to select? Is the problem happening in every note, or only certain ones?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi trying to select text to copy and paste or change font colors or bold is maddening!!  This never use to happen.  Now I just click and select over and over and it works like 1 out of 10 times!!!  FIX THIS PLEASE!   This is a basic operation

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Phargraves2 said:

Hi trying to select text to copy and paste or change font colors or bold is maddening!!

Hi.  Device? OS and Evernote version numbers? Tried any of the suggestions in this very old thread?

Hello there,

I am encountering the same issue since I have upgraded to the latest version (which evernote forced me to do to continue using the program, but that's another topic.)
Now I am using evernote 10.73.4 on Windows 10 Pro. With the old version I didn't have this problem. Also there is no shortcut anymore to cross through text anymore, but that isn't as important right now. (in the old version it was Ctrl. + T)

I cannot copy any text using the shortcut Ctrl. + C and paste it somewhere else in the program. It only works by right clicking on the highlighted text, pressing on copy or:
I press Ctrl + X, then Ctrl + V again (because I don't want to cut it out) and then also pressing Ctrl. + V where I want my text coppied to.

It doesn't work with any text, also not pictures and so on. Ctrl X, Ctrl V are working, just Ctrl C isn't

In every other programm copy and paste is working as it should. No proplems in evernote on my iPhone (well since there are no shortcuts there as far as I know)

Maybe someone knows the solution? That would be great!

• Level 5

@volkher, you're adding on to a very old thread, but you've given enough detail that I'll try to respond. Both Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+T to strikethrough work in Evernote v. 10. I just tested in the latest version (10.74.1, but it should work in 10.73.4 too). You can check Evernote's keyboard shortcuts (and edit some of them) with Ctrl+/ (or click the "Need a little help button at bottom left").

What sometimes happens is that the Windows system or some other app takes over a keyboard shortcut at the global or system level so that Evernote cannot use it. Since Ctrl+C is a standard in all Windows programs, it's unlikely that the Windows system would have captured it, so you might want to check to see if another program has grabbed it, and grabbed Ctrl+T as well.

• Like 2
On 2/5/2024 at 12:12 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What sometimes happens is that the Windows system or some other app takes over a keyboard shortcut at the global or system level so that Evernote cannot use it. Since Ctrl+C is a standard in all Windows programs, it's unlikely that the Windows system would have captured it, so you might want to check to see if another program has grabbed it, and grabbed Ctrl+T as well.

Thank you for your answer. How can I check this?
It is weird because I was using evernote 6.something before upgrading to 10.73 and it was working fine.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, volkher said:

Thank you for your answer. How can I check this?
It is weird because I was using evernote 6.something before upgrading to 10.73 and it was working fine.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to check for global keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10 or 11--you'll have to search for that, I'm afraid. But if Ctrl+C and Ctrl+T are working right in other programs, just not in Evernote 10, the other possibility is that your Evernote installation has gotten corrupted somehow. The usual advice is to quit Evernote (File > Quit) uninstall Evernote using Revo Uninstaller, then reinstall.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 12:51 PM, volkher said:

I uninstalled it and installed it again. Nothing changed, I will try it with the Revo Uninstaller

Well that didn't work either. I still can't use Ctrl C and Ctrl T.
Maybe I need to reinstall my whole Windows system.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Are you trying to use these shortcuts on a note that contains text inside a grey box?  Maybe send us a screenshot of some text you're trying to copy or change and we may be able to say more on this?  Ctrl+C and T work for me on plain text,  and sometimes on other clipped or copied text;  but it can vary...

• Like 2
On 2/19/2024 at 5:20 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Are you trying to use these shortcuts on a note that contains text inside a grey box?  Maybe send us a screenshot of some text you're trying to copy or change and we may be able to say more on this?  Ctrl+C and T work for me on plain text,  and sometimes on other clipped or copied text;  but it can vary...

No, everywhere in evernote. It works not on normal and not on any text