Why link to Google drive ?

What does the "link to Google drive" offer over not linking to Google drive ?

Is it simply the insert dialog or are embedded Google drive linked docs searchable like an embedded pdf ?

Can't quite see the advantage of linking Evernote and Google if all it means is I can select a file from google drive rather than simply just pasting the existing URL.

Cheers

David

• Evernote Expert

Linking to Drive allows you to connect external Drive resources to a note. For example, you have created a spreadsheet in Drive. You can make a direct link to the spreadsheet from within the note as you work on it.

5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Linking to Drive allows you to connect external Drive resources to a note. For example, you have created a spreadsheet in Drive. You can make a direct link to the spreadsheet from within the note as you work on it.

But how does that differ to just copying and pasting the URL directly from my browser ? I was expecting some enhanced functionality such as the linked google doc being searchable, a summary of its contents, an embedded directly editable version or some such enhancement.

To be honest if that's all it does, then the risk of giving EN full access (including delete) to my Google drive doesn't seem worth the benefit. Am I misunderstanding  something ?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, David Navigator said:

the risk of giving EN full access

Evernote isn't going to randomly leap in and delete files - the access is only so you can add,  edit or delete via Evernote,  as well as directly.  You're right though - it's a little more convenient to create and access files via the Evernote link,  but -apart from a prettier link icon- you just get the normal access.  As usual,  no-one knows what (if anything) Evernote might do to enhance it further.  It's not compulsory to use it,  so if you don't see the need,  don't bother.

• Level 5

You want to use the full integration: Give it access.

You won’t: Skip it, but not be surprised if some things don’t work.

Since I don’t use Google Drive, I don’t have this problem, and do not sense a missing functionality. But maybe this is only the blind man’s happiness 🙈

42 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Evernote isn't going to randomly leap in and delete files -

Of course, but it only takes a small programming bug to call the API to delete the file, rather than just deleting the link. I've seen if happen before.

To me it's disappointing that EN make such a fuss over a feature that (currently) doesn't really do much (and has the potential to be a game changer).
I think I'll bide my time until the Google Drive integration offers more than just a prettier link.

• Level 5

It is not EN making a fuzz.

It is Google Drive that correctly protects your data, and needs a permission to give access to content.

In permissions management there is no granularity, where you could allow this detail and reject another. You give certain permissions, or you refuse to give them.

If you refuse, Google Drive will correctly reject the access.

Since you are the owner of both accounts, you have to make up your mind about what you want, and accept that there are rules and limitations of how services can be arranged.

I see your current way of discussing things as been driven by mistrust in the solution. You seem to have all these disaster scenarios in your head - if this happens and that goes wrong, I could loose something.

This is by no means something I criticize, it is OK not to simply trust any solution or provider. But in this case you can only reject permissions. 

Or you inform yourself, take a decision based on millions of users connecting up without any obvious trouble and allow the connection of the services. Again, this all up to you.

• Evernote Expert
19 hours ago, David Navigator said:

I think I'll bide my time until the Google Drive integration offers more than just a prettier link.

That makes sense. The Drive link had been around since well before the arrival of Evernote v10. So I'm not expecting anything new. It's the continuation of what has been around for several years.

It is a little more than a pretty link. It means you can add a link without exiting Evernote, accessing Google Drive, copying the link to the document you want, returning to Evernote and pasting it in place. But I agree that may not be much of a benefit unless you linking stuff frequently.

• Like 2