Attached files not downloaded in offline notebooks on Android

When I open an offline notebook in Android, none of the attachments have been downloaded. From browsing the forum, I see that this is an issue in the iOS app if the notebook has not finished downloading, but as far as I can tell all my offline notebooks have finished downloading (there are no status bars and all the download buttons on the offline notebooks I have chosen are green). Is there any way that I can get the Android app to download all note attachments for an entire notebook?

I use Evernote to keep all my travel documents (e.g., plane tickets, hotel reservations), and many of those are pdf files. I keep the notebook for the trip offline on my phone, because I do not know whether I will have internet access at the airport or hotel, especially if it is an overseas trip. If I have to connect to the internet to access the attached files, even in offline notebooks, then it makes Evernote pretty useless for travelling. The old version of the Android app definitely did download note attachments, but I'm not sure when this changed (I haven't done much travelling in the past two years...)

• Evernote Expert

Just checked in my account. PDFs in my offline notebooks open in a flash. Those in online notes take perceptibly longer - although not a lot longer on my home fibre connection.

I took my device offline for both WiFi and mobile data and offline PDFs open without trouble.

Android 11 / Evernote 10.28

• Level 5

Just sayin‘ for iOS, it is in fact a sign that the download is not yet done when attachments are missing.

In fact the note content except the attachments is in most cases downloaded even for notes in online notebooks as well. It is AFAIK part of the regular download the app does.

For a test I would reset the offline switch for one of the notebooks, then log out of the app and restart the device. On again, log in and select the notebook for downloading again. Maybe it just got stuck the first time.

One thing that is missing anyhow, even if fully downloaded: Search in attachments does not work when offline.

OK, they do seem to be downloading, but very slowly (much more slowly than they should do over my broadband connection). Thanks for your help!

If anyone from Evernote is reading, I guess my feedback would be to speed up the downloading of attachments (there is no reason it should take several hours to download a few MB of pdf files over a broadband internet connection). It would also be nice if it was slightly more obvious when a notebook is still downloading content. I had to look at individual notes before I realised that the attachements had not downloaded (that was clear enough, they had blue cloud symbols on them). I want to have confidence that all my important notes have been downloaded, so it would be great if the download status was shown more clearly.

• Evernote Expert

Offline notebooks is the only function that I, personally, find under-prforms on Android. Turn the offline function on for a notebook and it can take hours for a largeish notebook to complete the download process. Much longer than you would think it should take. Others say the best thing is to set the process going overnight with the phone on charge and set to stay awake rather than have screen save kick in.  Then leave Evernote as the active screen app and all being well everything will be complete in the morning.  I've not done that but I only have three relatively small notebooks set for offline access.

• Level 5

It is slow on all mobile clients, iOS as well. I am not sure whether it is a question of processing the local database, or they simply brake the process (that is usually running in the background during use) to avoid killing the battery.

However, letting it download during the night is not elegant and a nuisance, even when it is only needed once for the initial download.

• Like 1