Different behavior between Legacy and v10 in displaying pdfs in a particular note (windows)

I scanned a series of 7 pdfs into a particular note within EN.  In v10 I can see and open the pdfs in a normal fashion.  In Legacy the pdfs are showing as little icons that can't be opened.  I have tried exiting Legacy, quitting, signing out and in again etc.  I have many notes with pdfs but this is the only one that is exhibiting this strange behaviour.  It's somewhat unusual because this is the first instance in which v10 is behaving better than Legacy.

image.png.bbdcbfe3479a27e958f409ee7319b712.pngthis is how it looks like in Legacy.  Can not open any of these filed.

image.png.980a43511349e7dc6427435be4dbd640.pngthis is how it looks like in v10.  The files work fine

• Level 5*

Hi.  No reason that I know for PDFs not to be visible in Legacy unless some detail of how the files were added to the note in v10 means they're not readable to the older version.  Can you save the attachments to your desktop and delete them from the v10 note,  then open the note in Legacy at attach from there?  Or create a new note in Legacy and attach the files again?

• Level 5

In general both versions, legacy and v10 sync to the same server. If a pdf shows in one and not in the other, I assume it may be related to the pdf viewers used (which to me looks as if it is a different program in legacy and v10).

Anything special about how these specific PDFs were created ? Or just a bunch among hundreds of other, similar ones that work ?

Turns out that when I recopied the pdfs back into that same note in Legacy they now look fine.  Very strange.  I must have at least 2000 notes with pdfs in them and have never seen this happen in over 10 years.  Actually, even though many people say that you shouldn't use EN as a file storage system, I actually do store thousands of pdf files within EN.  It has worked extremely well because I can search them more effectively than storing them on Gdrive or dropbox.  I do make a backup copy of all of these pdfs in my Gdrive folder for long term storage and for added security.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hmmmm - maybe the local copy of that note in the legacy database on your PC / Mac was corrupted, for whatever reason. We often forget that legacy has this local database, and that it can collect mistakes as any database can. 

Personally I have not seen statements that EN would not be good to save files. I think EN is not good to replace a standard file storage, 1:1. When I have a list of files in Explorer / Finder or similar, I can sort them, see the creation date etc. All this is not possible when the files are embedded into notes. In this respect the conventional file storage is better.

Where EN is better is to collect files with their context, bringing them together and allowing to add information to them. You can‘t add information to the original files (or only very little, in the metadata) without changing them. In EN his is very simple: Create the note, write some information, attach the file(s), done.

IMHO it depends on the use case if a folder in a file tree is better, or files attached to a note.