Query length maximum 4096 in tag-based filtering including sub-tags.

hpchavaz

Idea

Thanks to Evernote for introducing the ability to include sub-tags in tag-based filtering. 

However it seems that this functionality is implemented by generating a query on a database which poses the following problem:

When we ask for the inclusion of the sub-tags of a parent tag with a large descendant tree (many children or deep tree, or even tags with long labels), a message indicating that the query cannot be longer than 4096 characters appears.

This is all the more annoying as it is in the case of complex trees that the feature is most useful.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Just a small calculation: Tag length 40 characters (which is already a mamouth tree of nesting levels) means 100 tags can roughly be queried before it hits the limit.

How many users do you think will see this as a problem ? I think you can feel yourself member of a very exclusive club …

Anyhow, if this is a problem for you, contact support.

2 hours ago, hpchavaz said:

When we ask for the inclusion of the sub-tags of a parent tag with a large descendant tree (many children or deep tree, or even tags with long labels), a message indicating that the query cannot be longer than 4096 characters appears.

This has always been an issue in V10 in the unlikely event of you wanting to search for the notes that contain all the sub tags (the only option prior to the new sub tag behaviour). I don't really understand why this limit is there. One of my top level tags (I only have 7) definitely has many more sub tags than can be searched for. In practice this means ensuring that the top level tag is always included in the note rather than just using it as a way of structuring a hierarchy. This does however defeat the object of being able to search for any of the sub-tags in the first place if each note containing the sub tag also has to contain the parent tag.