Cleaning the tags hierarchy from parent tags

hpchavaz

Idea

Thanks to Evernote for introducing the possibility to include sub-tags in filtering based on tags.

This feature was requested for a long time, also to emulate it, we used to add tags appearing higher in the hierarchy: parent tags. Now it would be convenient to remove them.

This could be done for example by adding to the menu that appears for a tag, the possibility to remove the tags further down in the hierarchy.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Only a part of all users apply tags, only a part of these users do a nesting.

I like the idea to clean up, but I doubt anything like the proposed assistance will materialize in the next time. 

But no need to wait: Instead of rebuilding the tag structure, simply rename the existing tags. Just remove the parent name part from the existing tag name. The tag will continue to work as before - its function is not by the name applied, it is by the position in the tag structure.

Yes, it is some work, but there will be a next rainy Sunday, and what makes a better feeling than to clean up on such a day. And it is a one timer, nothing you will have to repeat ever.

2 hours ago, hpchavaz said:

This feature was requested for a long time, also to emulate it, we used to add tags appearing higher in the hierarchy: parent tags. Now it would be convenient to remove them.

I don't think I have fully understood what you want. I think it is that many of your notes contain the parent tags which you no longer need. It is very easy to remove a particular tag from all notes. 

image.png.0e7c51a23b2fbcbfa138b071a5e91674.png

The complication will be if you have a tag which is used as both a parent tag (because you have added child tags to the note) and also as child tag (because none of it's child tags are relevant). That would be more challenging.

• Level 5

I don’t see the new feature of including / excluding child tags into searches including a parent tag as a call to give up on parent-child tag nesting. The only issue may be that home breed naming conventions that add the parent tag to the child tags name can now be flattened. These naming conventions make for very long tag names.

Instead of Finances.MyBank.Mortage it will simply be called Mortage, inside of the MyBank parent tag inside of the Finances Parent tag. This would require a simple renaming of the currently very long tag names (that are a problem for displaying several tags), nothing more.

If one would decide to give up on nesting tags at all, it would mean to apply a number of new tags for the same filtering as today by nesting. This could have been done at any time, and it would make no use at all of the new feature, that only works when nested tags exist.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

The complication will be if you have a tag which is used as both a parent tag (because you have added child tags to the note) and also as child tag (because none of it's child tags are relevant). That would be more challenging.

That is the point.
Some parent tags may be directly linked to notes.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But no need to wait: Instead of rebuilding the tag structure, simply rename the existing tags. Just remove the parent name part from the existing tag name. The tag will continue to work as before - its function is not by the name applied, it is by the position in the tag structure.

Yes, it is some work, but there will be a next rainy Sunday, and what makes a better feeling than to clean up on such a day. And it is a one timer, nothing you will have to repeat ever.

I have 14 000 notes most of the are multi-tagged. Even if Evernote didn't had a limit on the number of notes that can be processed in a batch, it wouldn't be a matter of a rainy weekend but of a rainy year.

I could certainly use the API but for that you have to do some development, as long as you don't violate the processing limits. But for Python, the only interface that is not in beta status, is based on an abandoned version of python.

• Level 5

You can lift the limit to 500.

But to simply rename a tag, there is no limit that would apply. You rename the tag, and the new name sticks to all notes that had the tag with the old name.

Only adding or deleting tags require notes to be selected.