Amazing Android app performance in 2022

Yep... To put things into perspective: Evernote now performs slower than on the cheapest Windows Phone 7 barely-smartphone with 512 MB of RAM. Hell. Even using my Fastmail email client (which itself is a web app in a wrapper!) drafts works better for note taking.

To be honest I wouldn't think topping already bad performance in 2021 was even possible. Do you guys actively pursue it? Do you hold in-house contests aimed at that or something?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Might attract more attention to use a descriptive headline like "Android performance unacceptable" and give device and Android version details to show it's not a hardware problem.  Also if you are able - report this to Support (or feedback via the app) so Evernote have a chance to check your logs and maybe even correct the issue?  From other comments around here,  the world seems pretty evenly divided into those who can't say enough nice things about the new app,  and those who won't give it house room.  So it's unlikely to be an Evernote plot (whom we're mostly not,  by the way) but probably just another glitch in the road for some devices...

In all my 10 years of using Evernote I have yet to see a smartphone-specific performance issue. I also have "the comfort" of having access to around 4-6 phones of different brands and Android ROM-s. Enough said, I don't waste my time reporting bugs anymore.

My phone is Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T 4GB variant with a freshly installed MIUI 12.5 (official) without backup restore. I never restore old backups.

Logs:

Why bother? I can send it to you, if you are curious, of course. But officially... As a free user I have never received a proper feedback.

I was about to buy premium in 2021 but Evernote cared to give me a nice warning of things to come just in time. And BTW, have you seen the Play store ratings? Right now Evernote is hands down the lowest rated app I keep using.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, rimboma said:

I don't waste my time reporting bugs anymore.

If you don't report stuff,  you're relying on someone else to help the company find and fix the issue - it'll just take a lot longer.

5 minutes ago, rimboma said:

My phone is Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T 4GB variant with a freshly installed MIUI 12.5 (official)

Thanks - wanted to help you make the point that this is not a cheap knock-off phone,  therefore shouldn't be contributing.

6 minutes ago, rimboma said:

I have yet to see a smartphone-specific performance issue.

It's a fact that responses in the forum here are divided between '1' and '10' on a speed scale.  Don't know whether that's number of notes,  networks or whatever.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, rimboma said:

As a free user I have never received a proper feedback.

I was about to buy premium in 2021....

10 minutes ago, rimboma said:

In all my 10 years of using Evernote

Sorry but you seem to have had considerable value out of the service - if you plan to continue using it,  a subscription is not a bad idea: then Evernote can afford to pay the developers to fix issues like this...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Dave Andrade said:

FYI - I was having some issues with the Android app syncing and performance. Evernote support did some back end changes, I reinstalled the app and now it syncs in seconds and is much faster. 

Which version do you have now?

On 5/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, Dave Andrade said:

FYI - I was having some issues with the Android app syncing and performance. Evernote support did some back end changes, I reinstalled the app and now it syncs in seconds and is much faster. 

I followed your advice by completely reinstalling the app on my android phone . Since then, it has become extremely slow: adding a very simple note with a title and a few words renders the app unresponsive for 40 seconds. Adding a photo from anywhere (also EN's camera function) takes 1 minute. So now my performance decreased from 17 seconds to one minute for adding images 😞

The android EN client version is 10.32.2 (1122718)  . Is this your version as well?

• Evernote Expert

@eric99 I think that the key part of @Dave Andrade's advice is that he was able to get Evernote support to make some back-end changes. The reinstall improvements depended on those back-end tweaks.  A few users have commented on being able to get their account tweaked and that then improved performance. Have you been able to get this done for your account as well?

I've no personal experience to say whether this is a good approach.

46 minutes ago, agsteele said:

@eric99 I think that the key part of @Dave Andrade's advice is that he was able to get Evernote support to make some back-end changes. The reinstall improvements depended on those back-end tweaks.  A few users have commented on being able to get their account tweaked and that then improved performance. Have you been able to get this done for your account as well?

I've no personal experience to say whether this is a good approach.

I must admit that I interpreted this as some generic back-end changes, not account specific :😕

I still hope that the dramatically poor performance is caused by the background download of my off-line notes (3 days now and counting). Maybe this interferes with note taking foreground activities.

• Evernote Expert

Have you raised a support ticket? This would sound like the way to go.

That said, the offline notebook download speed is notably problematic.  It doesn't cause problems to regular use for but you are correct, the offline sync is poor.

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

Have you raised a support ticket? This would sound like the way to go.

That said, the offline notebook download speed is notably problematic.  It doesn't cause problems to regular use for but you are correct, the offline sync is poor.

Thanks, is 10.32.2 (1122718) the latest EN version for android, at least this the latest version automatically installed on my phone...

• 3 weeks later...