[Fixed in Version 10.34] Scan to PDF is broken

robanero

Idea

Just updated to En 10.32.4 and now my scan to Evernote will not show the first page of any scans.  It was working fine before the update to 10.32.4.

Now when scanning, the pdf appears in Evernote, but the first page of all PDF scans just shows as a white page. Page 2 displays normally in Evernote.  Also the Annotate this PDF will not open (annotate screen shows with a spinning wheel and pdf does not open). Right clicking the PDF in Evernote and selecting Open will open the PDF in external viewer, but it still displays a blank first page.

Power cycle scanner and computer has no effect.  My scanner is working because scan to a folder allows the PDF to open correctly (all pages correct).  And when I drag a PDF from my computer and drop it into a new note in Evernote, it will display correctly!

Anyone else having scan to PDF Evernote issues?

• Like 6

49 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, robanero said:

I am using Windows 10 and Fujitsu ScanSnapiX500.

I also just tried to set up a new scanner profile to scan to Evernote, but that still has the same blank first page issue.

Do you use ScanSnap Home or ScanSnap Manager? I use Manager and so far I've not had a problem but I scan into an Import Folder. [Just checked scanning directly into Evernote and find the issue you mention]. You could work around this I think. Scan your document to save in an Import Folder configured in Evernote and see what happens.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Do you use ScanSnap Home or ScanSnap Manager? I use Manager and so far I've not had a problem but I scan into an Import Folder. [Just checked scanning directly into Evernote and find the issue you mention]. You could work around this I think. Scan your document to save in an Import Folder configured in Evernote and see what happens.

I use ScanSnap Manager.  I could try an import folder, but Evernote doesn't delete the files after import, so that folder will fill up.  Is there a workaround for this?

• Evernote Expert

I have a batch file that runs when I log in to my PC and empties the Import Folders. Works well for me since I shutdown my PC overnight. Otherwise it could be set to run on a schedule at, say, 6am every morning.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

1) I avoid to scan directly into EN from my ix500. It has that profile, but I do not trust the dynamics between ScanSnap still working on the OCR and EN trying to create and sync the new note.

2) I use the „Scan to folder“ profile, then correct the file name to a good, speaking file name, because it will later become the note title. The preselected folder to save the pdf file is the EN import folder - and this sends the file right into EN, creating a note.

3) The file stays in the import folder until manually deleted. WTF, this is really no issue for me. First it serves as an automatic backup for scanned content, not a bad thing. Second I have cases when I want that file in EN and in another place as well. Much easier if it stays right on the computer. Third it is a simple operation to open the folder from time to time, select all and send it to the waste basket. Or setup an automation that does the same without interaction by the user.

Hello, i am running Evernote Windows version 10.32.4 and am finding a bug when scanning from my scanner (Fujitsu ScanSnap IX500). After scanning something, in the ScanSnap app i have multiple options; if I select "Scan to Evernote as PDF", the first page is now blank of the document. This has never happened in over 12 years! When i select "Scan to Folder" and save the file to my desktop, it's perfect. This leads me to believe the problem is with the latest update, as it only started happening this morning when i updated Evernote. Anyone else having this issue?

1240362113_Screenshot2022-03-11193932.jpg.16f50b574564db94250d82e4aaa50e5a.jpg1701431960_Screenshot2022-03-11194010.thumb.jpg.1afe53edcdffd5b36b03d1ae7f196deb.jpg

On 3/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, robanero said:

I am using Windows 10 and Fujitsu ScanSnapiX500.

I also just tried to set up a new scanner profile to scan to Evernote, but that still has the same blank first page issue.

I have the same blank first page issue, after updating to 10.32.4.  I use a ScanSnap S1500 with no problems for many years until this.  Can I go back to the old version, and how?

I have the same / similar issue as original poster.

Running Windows 10 

ScanSnap Manager with Fujitsu S1300i scanner

Evernote 10.32.4-win-ddl-public (3265)
Editor: v143.0.17719
Service: v1.49.2

Updated EN this morning (obviously a mistake). 

'Scan to Evernote' creates a perfect multipage pdf file in designated folder (all pages showing, can later be dragged/dropped manually into EN perfectly).  BUT the automatic note created in EN shows only a perfectly blank page 1 of the pdf.  

• Evernote Expert

I'm not entirely sure that the issue is with Evernote 10.32. At about the same time I got an update the ScanSnap Manager.

I need to uninstall Evernote and drop back a version and see what happens to rule out ScanSnap.

Same issue - first page of scans is blank in Evernote (scrambled graphics in Chrome PDF viewer, unopenable in Acrobat Pro).

Configuration:

Evernote: 10.32.4-win-ddl-public (3265)
ScanSnap Manager: 5.6 L10
Subscription: Evernote Personal

Scanner:  ScanSnap S1500

Have confirmed that PDF scans from scanner are OK when sent to folder vs. Evernote.

• Level 5

I would avoid the „Scan to Evernote“ profiles altogether.

They just create a file with a cryptic name in a note with a cryptic title. They do not work properly at all if the scan is OCRed by ScanSnap. You need to rework every note by at least changing the note title.

I scan to folder, correct the file name and save it into an Import folder. EN grabs it and converts it into a note with a sound title and a good file name - rework is zero.

• Like 1

To PinkElephant's point - that's a sound workaround, but that's a lot of workflow for a broken application.  We've been using the ScanSnap/Evernote combination for years and, right up to last Thursday, it was a terrific solution.  Since Evernote OCR is excellent, file labels are of little consequence, in my experience.  We typically rename scans in the Evernote application which takes seconds and guarantees searchability. 

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem.  I'm on Windows 10 and using a Fujitsu ScanSnap.  I scanned 10 files on March 10th to Evernote and 1 on March 12th; all failed having this same problem.  It's worked so well in the past, that I never verify the scans before shredding.  Now I've lost both the image and the original document. VERY TROUBLING INDEED.  I hope support considers this issue urgent and fixes it quickly.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

They just create a file with a cryptic name in a note with a cryptic title. They do not work properly at all if the scan is OCRed by ScanSnap. You need to rework every note by at least changing the note title.

I scan to folder, correct the file name and save it into an Import folder. EN grabs it and converts it into a note with a sound title and a good file name - rework is zero.

Cool!  My workflow has been very similar since 2012 (which may have been before 'Import Folder' feature was added?).  Very similar to yours in terms of automation, except I've always used the  'Scan to Evernote' profile that I tweak to behave similarly.  After scanning (place document, press scan button), ScanSnap Manager prompts me to rename the file (I give it a good name), saves it to a local folder (I consider this a backup... of sorts), calls Evernote  and creates a note with a sound title and embedded pdf scanned document.  I just typed in a new filename and it was done.

Except now it's missing the first page, every time.  Looks like I'll be investigating import folder as a  work-around. 

AND the last EN upgrade added a mandatory popup box that asks if it is OK to create the note in the EN Inbox.  every time.  for every scan.  The response to my EN trouble ticket was very timely and polite, but stated that the added manual workflow step is a 'feature' as opposed to a productivity killer.  AND they confirmed that it can't be turned off... 

I'll investigate the Import Folder workflow.  But migration away from EN (after 10+ years as a paying customer) is also looking like a possible work-around... <eye roll> 

Thanks for your response!  khead

• Level 5

Try the untweaked „Scan to folder“ profile and the import folder. It will not ask when a file is dropped there, it imports it, and stuffs it into a new note.

Not a workaround at all - this is officially the best way to get a scan into EN. In my profile settings I have the OCR active - the files will carry their own text layer.

Same issue. Unfortunately didn't realize it until too late and lost warranty documents since I shredded them afterwards, trusting and not verifying. This is the final straw for me. I'm done with Evernote, new management continues to make it worse and worse than even all the issues with the old mgm't team.

• Level 5

„Same issue here“ - oh, fine, you use import folders, and it works …

Feel misunderstood ? Well, maybe you should invest more than 3 words …

Edit: Adding 2 words makes it better to understand, but not much clearer. As @agsteele posted there seems to be an underlying problem. Details can help to understand them. Is this asked too much ?

On 3/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, PinkElephant said:

How do you make Evernote "grab" it?

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

„Same issue here“ - oh, fine, you use import folders, and it works …

Feel misunderstood ? Well, maybe you should invest more than 3 words …

Sorry to offend you "Level 5". Is it your job to scold newcomers? Pat yourself on the back. I guess that's the norm nowadays.

• Evernote Expert

I did my tests and can confirm that the issue with the missing first page of scans is with the transfer of the document into Evernote rather than with the updated ScanSnap Manager software.

I also checked out the drag and drop and sendto options for transferring PDFs into Evernote and they all work just fine. It is just the transfer of the ScanSnap scanned direct to Evernote that fails.

I still, almost always, use the Import Folder method that @PinkElephant extols. Much more flexible.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:23 PM, PinkElephant said:

Try the untweaked „Scan to folder“ profile and the import folder. It will not ask when a file is dropped there, it imports it, and stuffs it into a new note.

Not a workaround at all - this is officially the best way to get a scan into EN. In my profile settings I have the OCR active - the files will carry their own text layer.

Sounds like the 'import folder' workflow will solve the recently-added default pop-up prompt that asks for permission to create the note.  Whoo-hoo!  That's great!  Thanks for the tip, Pink!  That's been a thorn in my side.  And double bonus, it will resolve the 'missing page problem'!!  Thanks so much!

I feel comfortable calling that a workaround (in my world, anyway ;) ).  While Import Folder may be "officially the best way to get a scan into EN", if the updated EN doesn't bring in all scanned pages normally (ref agsteele's testing above and the experience of other posters in the thread) ...that's a problem.  Workaround:  a plan or method to circumvent a problem (as in computer software) without eliminating it  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/work-around 

Since I can't fix the 'missing page problem' created by the EN upgrade, I'll have to work around it :) by implementing your excellent suggestion.  Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It may be the OCR gets in the way - I had a problem with corrupted files when I scanned directly, with OCR enabled.

The OCR process takes the already existing pdf and adds a text layer. EN does not know the process has not yet fully terminated, and imports the file that is still work in progress.

Using scan to folder interrupts the importing for long enough to finish the OCR, and saves a complete pdf with all bells and whistles.

• Level 5

Meanwhile ... I think since we got Import folders on all desktop clients, the better way is going through "Scan to folder", have the OCR done, rename the scanned file to a good file name (it will become the new notes title - sound naming of the file avoids rework) and save it to the import folder.

I use this process on my Mac with ScanSnap Manager and my ix500, it has completely replaced the "Scan to Evernote" option.

• Like 1

First page of PDF blank after update problem for me after update last week. Windows 10 on my home computer and Windows 11 at office. Both do not work with same scanner ix500.  I purchased and installed a new ix 1600 today and have the SAME problem! Nearly a week, thousands of people must have this same problem. 

• Like 1

I am so upset at this issue. OMG. I have scanned many documents in the last two days and now find that they have an 'error' when trying to read them in Evernote. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is! I have used Evernote for years! I have paid my yearly subscription so that I can scan bills and important documents for year! I scan and then RIP THE DOCUMENTS UP. That is what I have done for years! I now have a few hundred documents that cannot be read due to an error! I am so pissed! I cannot even see straight. I have lost so many documents! I can't believe this level of incompetence!

If there has been some sort of notice that this was a bug then I would have taken appropriate actions! But I spent hours today trying to figure out what was wrong! 

Any updates on this?  I'm using Windows 10 and Evernote 10.32.4 with a Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 scanner and have encountered the problem exactly as described here.  I see that 10.33.4 has fixed the problem for some, but there are no updates available for me when I check.  In the mean time I'm having to delete the scan-generated Note with the broken 1st page and creating a new note manually and attaching the PDF file.

• Level 5

The updated notifications are sometimes lagging behind the availability of updates. EN runs „staged“ updates, which means some users get them earlier than others.

But if you go to the EN website, you can always download the latest version - which in fact is v10.33 already. From reports in the forum it fixes the scanning problem.

• Like 1

I'm also running 10.32.4 (3265) on Windows and a ScanSnap ix500. I've also been in a marathon scanning session this past week, catching up on several years of scanning so that I'm finally up-to-date! I understand your pain! BUT, despite using the same EN version and same scanner, I'm not having the problem you described. BTW, I also scan to pdf into EN.  I wonder what the difference is? Have you recently updated the ScanSnap Home? I'm running 2.5.0.0 - 2.5.0 was released March 3. Have you checked ScanSnap Home to see if the diocuments are visible there? I don't use ScanSnap cloud, so all of my documents are scanned to my hard drive. It gives me a sense of control, and I go in occasionally and delete old or unimportant documents. 

I am also a victim of this oversight in programming.  I have lost documents that are now un-retrievable.   

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

I also asked Evernote to update, and guess what... it doesn't let me download 10.33.  It says "Evernote 10.32.4 is currently the newest version available."

NEED THE UPDATE NOW!!!!!!   

My work has come to a screeching halt and even my assistants can't work.

FIX THIS NOW EVERNOTE and TELL US when there's a problem!  EMAIL US!

How do I get a copy of the update when it's fixed????  Mine says there is no update available yet!

TRUST POINTS JUST WENT DOWN MAJORLY!  Now looking at other services..... after over a decade.

• Evernote Expert

If you are not able to wait for the fix to roll out you can go to the Evernote website and download and install the current version. Currently released is 10.33.5

The alternative is scanning to an import folder has been available all along and some of us really find this to been an improved scanning option. Is encourage you to try that whichever version you are on.

All described above.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, PinkElephant said:

2) I use the „Scan to folder“ profile, then correct the file name to a good, speaking file name, because it will later become the note title. The preselected folder to save the pdf file is the EN import folder - and this sends the file right into EN, creating a note.

Hello @PinkElephant,   Can you please share more about this step?  When I tried "Scan to Folder" and used my EN Import folder, EN would create the note before I could rename the file to something readable.

👉 I figured it out:  Do not use your import folder for "Scan to Folder" setting.  Use a temporary folder.  Once the file rename window opens, THEN you choose your import folder. 👍

Edited by robanero
I figured it out
  • Level 5

Do you use ScanSnap Home or ScanSnap Manager ?

With ScanSnap Manager scan to the default folder, not the import folder.

After scanning and the OCR a window opens, where you can specify the file name. Below it is a field for the target folder, where to save the changed file. There you specify the import folder. It saves the changed file into the Import Folder, which creates a new note with the file name as title.

That is it, more or less.

• Like 1

Same problem.  Evernote does not display the first page when scanned directly into Evernote, but displays fine when scanned to folder, then dragged and dropped into Evernote.  Using Evernote v. 10.33.5, Windows 10, and Scansnap S1500 scanner.

Hope they take care of this problem soon.  Although I am a long time user of Evernote, this bug is a deal buster if not promptly fixed.  Please give it priority.