Can I export all notebooks to enex in one go with premium monthly?

• boardtc changed the title to Can I export all notebooks to enex in one go with premium monthly?
  • Level 5

It depends - with legacy you can create a single ENEX file, with v10 it is one per notebook.

I hope you are aware that the note-notebook information is lost when exporting. So doing it in one file means all notes are one one big heap, without any notebooks.

Second I always ask what people want to do with these exported files ? Do you guys load them on to a stick, and have a drawer full of them ? Because for a backup it makes no sense. Export is made for other uses, it is not the method to run a backup.

For a backup just use a standard backup program, and use it to save the EN data folder on your desktop computer. Mac users who run TimeMachine with standard settings. already have it included in their hourly backup.

• Like 1

It depends - with legacy you can create a single ENEX file, with v10 it is one per notebook.

Thank very much for the information. However, I installed legacy Evernote_6.25.3.9348 on windows today and it only loaded my notes to 2018, so legacy is not relevant for an export. Legacy sucks.

I hope you are aware that the note-notebook information is lost when exporting. So doing it in one file means all notes are one one big heap, without any notebooks.

I was not at all aware, that is a disaster 😒
So there is no export possible that retains the note-notebook information?

Second I always ask what people want to do with these exported files ? Do you guys load them on to a stick, and have a drawer full of them ? Because for a backup it makes no sense. Export is made for other uses, it is not the method to run a backup.

Well after being an Evernote user since 2009, always free, I have to get out and wanted to move to another PKB. I have considered going to the paid version many times but the reviews are always so bad and the evernote programmers/team do not take the feedback on board.
Yarle looks for the enex files(s).
Once the export is done I had hoped to burn the enex files and delete my evernote account. 
But it is sounding like there might be no way out while retaining all your work....🤢

4 minutes ago, boardtc said:

I was not at all aware, that is a disaster 😒
So there is no export possible that retains the note-notebook information?

What you could do is add an extra tag to all the notes of a specific notebook. Later after importing the huge enex, you can split it in the original notebooks using these extra tags.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Export to ENEX has some uses, like create a container for one or maybe a few notes, or to archive a notebook. As I said, the notebook information itself is not preserved - when exporting by notebook, it will name the file after the notebook, which makes re-importing easy.

The tip to add a tag with the notebook name is OK - but you need to go to each notebook and add the tag. You can as well go to the notebook and export the content, instead of tagging it first. It is possible, but I do not think it really makes a difference in the export strategy.

If you are on Free, there may be a simple reason why you only get old notes: A legacy install counts as an additional device, even if installed on the same computer as the current client. So probably you are with legacy exceeding the device limit. If there was some old EN database from 2018 stored on your computer, it may be that the legacy client connected to it, but will not sync newer content.

About who does what or not, developers listening and whatever: You use the app, but do not contribute. Very simple: Be happy with what you get, because it is a donation, made by EN in the remote hope you may subscribe one day in the future. Why should they now listen to you, when in years of use you never considered subscribing anyhow ? 

EN may not be doing in all cases what I want (still no app on my Apple Watch, just to mention one issue), but listen they do.

• Like 1

Thanks for that and all the education.

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The tip to add a tag with the notebook name is OK - but you need to go to each notebook and add the tag. You can as well go to the notebook and export the content, instead of tagging it first. It is possible, but I do not think it really makes a difference in the export strategy.

You are right, Thankfully I have under 50 notebooks so it's not the end of the world by any means. I might even do it now...

You do misquote me however!

17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Why should they now listen to you, when in years of use you never considered subscribing anyhow ? 

1 hour ago, boardtc said:

Well after being an Evernote user since 2009, always free, I have to get out and wanted to move to another PKB. I have considered going to the paid version many times but the reviews are always so bad and the evernote programmers/team do not take the feedback on board.

• Level 5

Oh, yes, you "considered" and always decided against it. Other process, same result.

Just to state this: I am not against using the Free plan, when EN officially supports it. If for years, then for years (although I would design it differently, but that is another story). What I do not understand is how one can continuously use the app, but never consider to use it productively.

It is like pushing your car around all over the place for years, to go easy on the engine. Trunk is slowly filling with stuff from years, but still no engine start, because others are discussing the bad position of the cigarette lighter. Might be you want to turn in the car one day, badly designed as it seems to be. Sure, will not consume any gas, big saver these days ...

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, PinkElephant said:

For a backup just use a standard backup program, and use it to save the EN data folder on your desktop computer. Mac users who run TimeMachine with standard settings. already have it included in their hourly backup.

So what's the recommended way to backup notes for posterity, like say in 5 years Evernote has gone caput and I need to move my thousands of notes to some new application.

Markdown export of all notes, with notebook and tag info preserved, seems like it might be the best option. But that's not something Evernote offer, correct?

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Vloobedee said:

So what's the recommended way to backup notes for posterity, like say in 5 years Evernote has gone caput

I think the best export "for posterity" is html format using the Legacy product  
html format is a close match to Evernote's native enml format
Attachments are also included in the export; in their native format   
The notes are read-able by any browser app   

>I need to move my thousands of notes to some new application.

.enex format is the de-facto standard for moving data to a new application

>with notebook and tag info preserved

Notebook information is not preserved unless there's separate exports for each notebook
Tag information is preserved, but is imbedded in the data contents

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

.enex format is the de-facto standard for moving data to a new application

>with notebook and tag info preserved

Notebook information is not preserved unless there's separate exports for each notebook
Tag information is preserved, but is imbedded in the data contents

See that's the conundrum — any person moving to a new product in the future would definitely want tags and notebook info in that new app. It's the standard, but it's not a good one.

HTML is the solution I've settled on, for the last 10 years, at least. But with no guarantees that Evernote the company keeps the legacy app running, nor guarantees that they will enable HTML or markdown for export from the new app before they sunset the legacy one, I don't feel comfortable with this situation.

• Level 5

HTML export works for the new app - but I think it is more helpful for single notes, not for a full backup.

When exporting to ENEX, the standard is by notebook. This has not changed, it was the way with legacy as well. The file created will be named after the notebook. So an ENEX file is practically a notebook export, when used for a full notebook.

Or as I already said: For a backup grab the EN data folder on a desktop.

3 hours ago, Vloobedee said:

See that's the conundrum — any person moving to a new product in the future would definitely want tags and notebook info in that new app. It's the standard, but it's not a good one.

HTML is the solution I've settled on, for the last 10 years, at least. But with no guarantees that Evernote the company keeps the legacy app running, nor guarantees that they will enable HTML or markdown for export from the new app before they sunset the legacy one, I don't feel comfortable with this situation.

V10 does have an HTML implementation, but still in a prototype state (without navigation to attachments or other notes). Please let Evernote know that real HTML export is vital. I already did, one year ago, but we can only convince them if more people complain. You can do this by submitting a ticket https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt that HTML is the way to go for a backup. Each note is like a small website in itself - imagine just 1.000 of these export sites stitched together somehow. In my opinion pretty unusable.

ENEX is ok for an export because EN set this standard a while ago, and most apps trying to attract EN users to their solution offer an import tool.

As long as EN exists the easiest way for a backup is to grab the EN data folder. You need a working EN client to import it - but that’s AFAIK the only necessary tool to convert the folder into content again.

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I doubt that HTML is the way to go for a backup. Each note is like a small website in itself - imagine just 1.000 of these export sites stitched together somehow. In my opinion pretty unusable.

On mac, legacy HTML was probably just a bunch of 1000 independent 'sites', but that wasn't the way it worked on windows.

On windows, there was an evernote-index and it behaved as a single self contained website,  notes were interconnected with hyperlinks to other exported html notes inside the same export folders (not to the evernote server or EN desktop!).  Like I already said, everything was navigable.

This was even better than ENEX where note links are lost!

So in legacy EN for windows you can create your own personal website. If anything goes wrong, you still have this archive, readable by just any browser for the next 100 years. My data is to important to be only saved in any proprietary format, always requiring special tools to view or convert it. I really understand Vloobedee's concern...