Why use Spaces when Shared Notebooks seem to do the same thing

I don't understand why teams would use Spaces instead of Notebooks.

I real all the literature and don't see a definitive reason. Also, notes that reside in Spaces are not accessible through the API. And so if Evernote is integrated into external processes Spaces is pretty useless actually.

Please, what am I missing?

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

That spaces can group notes and notebooks plus input from different sources related to a particular department or project?  Spaces Overview 

Oh, so it's more like a "collection" of resources? I see.

So now I guess I need to figure out how to get access to Spaces through the API. Seems this is not possible (per Stack Overflow). I'll get in touch with dev support.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you ask that question, you probably never were responsible to control the flow and access to information in an organization.

Spaces does this from a central admin console, for the whole organization. Sharing notebooks as an individual act doesn’t.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you ask that question, you probably never were responsible to control the flow and access to information in an organization.

Spaces does this from a central admin console, for the whole organization. Sharing notebooks as an individual act doesn’t.

Right. I am totally new to this.

So I see the benefits, except for the fact that the Evernote API doesn't have access to Spaces. I have confirmed this in two ways: (a) I tried it myself - if a notebook is shared with me, the notebooks in the Space are inaccessible through the API, and (b) I got confirmation from Evernote dev support on this matter.

So for me, the API thing is a deal-breaker. I will need to use shared notebooks to interface Evernote with external systems.

• Level 5

From how I understand the concept, allowing access to spaces through the API would more or less break the information control, that is at the core of spaces.

This is especially true when rookies without an understanding of the spaces concept and compliance issues, but a beginners course in computing start to exploit a company’s information treasure by bypassing data security through calling the API.

Clearly enough explained ?

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

From how I understand the concept, allowing access to spaces through the API would more or less break the information control, that is at the core of spaces.

This is especially true when rookies without an understanding of the spaces concept and compliance issues, but a beginners course in computing start to exploit a company’s information treasure by bypassing data security through calling the API.

Clearly enough explained ?

I don't agree with this statement. If a user can access a Space through the Evernote UI, that same user should have the equivalent access through the API.

Anyway, the fact that it's not available through API means I can't use this feature.

Thanks for your input, I am starting to understand.