Who are the users they actually listen too?

The caption for the 10.27 release read they listened to the user's to make this change...  who are these users? I've been told before that EN people don't read these forums.  So who are the users they listen too?  I have been on three betas.  None for this feature. This new change to home is terrible. Now my home widgets are little squares.  More scrolling!  Now horizontally !

I've complained since day one of the new EN to support how bad the tablet ui is.  Multiple times.

yet they ignore real streamlining issues to ***** up the home screen.

1773293853_SmartSelect_20220222-194510_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.19ae227dad862f2e08e12f6cdb451973.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Shawn.H said:

I've been told before that EN people don't read these forums.  So who are the users they listen too? 

We know they don't very often respond to the forums - I don't know how we could possibly know whether they read the forums. EN also do quite extensive user testing and feedback e.g. over zoom where they try out new features and UI changes.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2022 at 2:07 AM, Shawn.H said:

The caption for the 10.27 release read they listened to the user's to make this change...  who are these users? I've been told before that EN people don't read these forums.  So who are the users they listen too?  I have been on three betas.  None for this feature. This new change to home is terrible. Now my home widgets are little squares.  More scrolling!  Now horizontally !

I've complained since day one of the new EN to support how bad the tablet ui is.  Multiple times.

1773293853_SmartSelect_20220222-194510_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.19ae227dad862f2e08e12f6cdb451973.jpg

This new super annoying feature of automatic widget dimensions adjustment on Home screen for me has result that I have two small squares and empty  2/3 of  tablet's home screen.

I have made feedback from Android app and gave unproper rating on Google play store (as zero star is not possible, and one star is too much). For this I got answer from developer that they are sorry to hear about my experience and that they would like to investigate this issue further and that I can contact support. I did that and answer is

"...with regards to the enlargement of the widget I'm afraid that it is not possible to enlarge. I wanted to let you know that currently, that functionality is not supported yet within the new Evernote app for ---. But I have passed this functionality request along to our Product Development Team for consideration…."

So, I suppose that I am one of these users now …

On 2/23/2022 at 1:07 AM, Shawn.H said:

Erm speak for yourself, frankly i hated the previous tablet mode - essentially it was a giant phone, what use is that.  I genuinely find this an unfathomable thing to complain about, i cannot see any downside to more information in easier to locate positions.  

• Like 1

"...with regards to the enlargement of the widget I'm afraid that it is not possible to enlarge. I wanted to let you know that currently, that functionality is not supported yet within the new Evernote app for ---. But I have passed this functionality request along to our Product Development Team for consideration…."

When I read this, it appears that they had no clue it was able to do it before.   

4 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Erm speak for yourself, frankly i hated the previous tablet mode - essentially it was a giant phone, what use is that.  I genuinely find this an unfathomable thing to complain about, i cannot see any downside to more information in easier to locate positions.  

I will admit it is better than what it started out as.  For months I had a huge white gap between the left column of list notes and the right column note view.

But I think it can be better.   I preferred the HOME screen before the change more data in the widgets, not these little boxes.

But this leads me to what I think is a terrible decision by EN.  No preferences.  Remember in the old app we had OPTIONS on how things displayed, worked, etc.

To me this auto resizing widget thing could be a easy switch in a preferences.  But EN seems to be determined not to have any preferences in the software.

Which means one setup for everyone.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Shawn.H said:

No preferences.

I think you are wrong in this assertion although I agree that there is no dedicated area labelled 'Preferences' or 'Options'. Even so, I can see lots of options to adjust how features can be changed to suit my personal preference. I infer, therefore, that what you are saying is that there are no preferences for the things that you require. This may well be the case but as has already been suggested, please speak for your own experience and, perhaps, point out what you need.

To be clear I don't run Evernote on a tablet device but on an ANdroid phone and Windows desktop.

4 hours ago, Shawn.H said:

When I read this, it appears that they had no clue it was able to do it before.   

I have mentioned that in v10.26 this was way better looking and also attached screenshots of wasteland called Home screen. Quoted was all I got...

There are *some* preferences in Evernote v10 -- but not near like there was in the legacy version. Hopefully Evernote will add some more once they start getting their feet under them more. (But even if they don't, I am personally satisfied with the customization ability that currently exists.)

Here is what is in legacy on Windows:

image.png.614ca024f0233bd859a41a19f33a44cc.png

I counted 60 something different preferences (not including keyboard shortcuts)

On v10, we have these two, and I'd argue that "Save data at log out" isn't really a preference kind of a thing.

image.png.01177ea637208fc3a3cff063ab553261.png

In v10 we can also select light or dark theme and customize a lot of the keyboard shortcuts.

We also have some preference over how we want a PDF export to look.

Are there any other preferences or customizations that I am overlooking for v10?

---

Edit: I forgot about the Home Widget! -- which allows all kinds of customization. (I just don't really use that so I wasn't thinking about it.)

Edited by Boot17
8 hours ago, agsteele said:

Even so, I can see lots of options to adjust how features can be changed to suit my personal preference. I infer, therefore, that what you are saying is that there are no preferences for the things that you require. This may well be the case but as has already been suggested, please speak for your own experience and, perhaps, point out what you need.

You are correct there are some options in V10.

Of course I am complaining for myself to some degree.  Some of the design choices and updates boggle my mind.  

So YES I would want a few more options to make the software better for my use. I'm nobody special so I have to believe others would like some of the same options.

Such as:

Let me decide if I want to use the home screen or not. 

Let me decide what screen loads first on start up

These are two simple items that I have read in these forums. Not necessarily top of my list but just an example. 

I have had discussions with support on serious issues and some design issues. So please don't think that I'm here just to let flame.

I love EN and have been a user for a very long time.  Back when it could be ran off just a usb stick as a standalone application.

8 hours ago, Shawn.H said:

You are correct there are some options in V10.

Of course I am complaining for myself to some degree.  Some of the design choices and updates boggle my mind.  

So YES I would want a few more options to make the software better for my use. I'm nobody special so I have to believe others would like some of the same options.

Such as:

Let me decide if I want to use the home screen or not. 

Let me decide what screen loads first on start up

These are two simple items that I have read in these forums. Not necessarily top of my list but just an example. 

I have had discussions with support on serious issues and some design issues. So please don't think that I'm here just to let flame.

I love EN and have been a user for a very long time.  Back when it could be ran off just a usb stick as a standalone application.

I'm also in favor for some preferences, but we should keep in mind that more preferences increases the software complexity which requires more testing  and we all know that testing is already problematic at EN, so this may lead to  more bugs and instability. That is probably the idea behind the lack of preferences...

• Like 3