Presentation mode - can we have it back please?

Hi

i ve been using presentation mode on Mac and iPad almost daily for years. As a musician for my song sheets in performance, for my own use in meditation sessions where minimal clutter counts, and as a presenter. 

Evernote - why has it gone please? It was / could still be a very elegant way to present or view documents without excessive margins or other screen clutter. 

can we have it back please?

I know this has been on forums for a couple of years now. It seems Evernote are not interested. I am curious as to why not?

I like Evernote - search is great -  it is very difficult to lose information, and sync speeds are generally very good. Unlike some other apps I’ve tried thinking to move away from Evernote in the last couple of years. 

Smiles

Mana

• Like 4
  • Level 5

If you look into the documentation in the EN help database, presentation mode was a little universe of its own code (embedded). I think (without knowing) it was decided pretty early when developing the new editor to take it out.

It can’t have been on the forum for a couple of years - the new version released only 18 month ago. With the initial release notes presentation mode was among the definitely deprecated features, not to return.

You have my sympathy for the use case you describe. Probably you need to set up something clutter free with one of the presentation programs we all know and learned to hate (death by bullet points …). 

This can even be done with PowerPoint, however I prefer Keynote on my Mac.

Here a little info

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889234

2DB14A6D-9BDD-436A-B5D2-56027B6A1D28.thumb.jpeg.0445e700c1e40bfde6f5e00cc058bd6b.jpeg

• Level 5*

There are two options using Evernote - Legacy is still around,  so presentation mode still exists there;  and there may be a 'back door' presentation mode still,  which works in Legacy and may still work acceptably in v10.  There's such a thing as Gallery Mode*,  which I found by accident when trying to open an image for editing.

I tend to create a 4x4 table of images,  and paste an image in each cell (that way you can see all the pages if you need to jump around).  Double-click your image of choice,  and it will open full screen.  Scroll forward and back from there.

Let us know if it works!

How to view images in the image gallery

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

There are two options using Evernote - Legacy is still around,  so presentation mode still exists there;  and there may be a 'back door' presentation mode still,  which works in Legacy and may still work acceptably in v10.  There's such a thing as Gallery Mode*,  which I found by accident when trying to open an image for editing.

I tend to create a 4x4 table of images,  and paste an image in each cell (that way you can see all the pages if you need to jump around).  Double-click your image of choice,  and it will open full screen.  Scroll forward and back from there.

Let us know if it works!

Yes, the image gallery works in V10, but I can only open it if I slowly click twice on an image (first click to select the image, second click to open the gallery), because if I do a normal double click, it will open my associated viewer instead.

Once in the gallery, I scroll full screen through all the images in the note (they shouldn't be in a table).🙂

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

Once in the gallery, I scroll full screen through all the images in the note (they shouldn't be in a table).

Thanks for taking a look.  :)

I tried it both ways - with and without a table;  in Legacy and on my various devices you'd get to see one or two images (if you were lucky) in a normal display,  though yes,  all of them show sequentially in Galley view.  As I said previously,  I use a table purely because it gives me a thumbnail view of all pages up to a dozen or so.  I can jump into the set at whatever point I need.

Since these are all images,  the OCR is sometimes less precise than you'd want,  so I add tags, text and titles so I can find the note easily.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Pink Elephant.

I don't think the real issue is 18 months or 2 years since the changes, do you?

I have searched on presentation mode on the web site and forums. The web site says its available, then lower down the page it says well not really unless you move to a legacy version. But I get messages to update frequently when I'm opening Evernote (and even upgrade even tho I'm a premium user!). I really feel I don't have the energy to resist this each time. And then, judging by the forums, people have mixed success with this work-around. I don't have the time to fight the app in this way.

OK so maybe presentation mode has gone - bad idea I would say, but from what you say we just gotta accept it.

So could you please send an info link for Mac and iPad please - the one you sent was exclusively for windows.

Thanks for the image display suggestion Eric99 - I'll try it, but feel like its an extra level of work to make and manage the images... so I don't know how practical this is if there are a lot of images, but let's see.

I have been mostly using Evernote presentation mode to display pdf's. Adobe Acrobat can display pdf's quite nicely on iPad - without any additional menu's etc as screen clutter.

Seems a shame to decentralise storage and search away from Evernote... If Evernote had an "open with" option that would be very nice. Evernotes standard pdf display is just not at all useful here. With menus and margins it seems like about a third of the iPad screen is MIA.

Seems you can't save ms word into a powerpoint format for display, only pdf, so again will have to remake all images from scratch whether in keynote or powerpoint.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Smiles

Mana

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, manawaite said:

could you please send an info link for Mac and iPad please

The app is exactly the same on all devices - the same restrictions apply.  Presentation mode has never been available in v10.

38 minutes ago, manawaite said:

an extra level of work to make and manage the images

I also use Adobe and it will happily export PDF pages to images - check Adobe's help for your version.

40 minutes ago, manawaite said:

If Evernote had an "open with" option

Most operating systems have the 'open with' option - I don't use iPad,  but maybe @PinkElephant can advise on that more.

42 minutes ago, manawaite said:

you can't save ms word into a powerpoint format for display, only pdf

As above - you should be able to output to PDF and use Adobe to export to images

Hope that helps...

• Level 5

@manawaite

The Link is for the new EN - the version without presentation mode. The EN website with the download link will download a file according to the OS of the requesting computer. When approached from a Mac, a dmg file will download.

The iOS version can only be installed from the AppStore - as for all iOS apps there is no „sideloading“ of apps, and no legacy version.

On a Mac the new version opens pdf with the build in MacOS Preview app. It offers a ton of options. On closing the changes save back directly into the attachment.

For presentations try the slide show or the full screen modes of Preview.

On iOS you can use the internal annotation feature, or need to open a pdf in another installed app. It will not save back from there.

If only for presentation you could try GoodNotes 5. It imports pdf from EN via sharing, and has its own, pretty versatile presentation mode.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Zvonimir said:

Please, bring presentation mode back.

After a year of silence on this,  the signs are not good...  can you explain in more detail how you would like to use presentation mode?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Presentation mode was explicitly deprecated when the switch from legacy to v10 was made. This means it was not just silently "forgotten" to code it for v10 - EN deliberately put it on the list of features that will be abandoned. I give it zero chance that it will come back, ever.

This link is for the Mac, the same applies for Windows: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889214

image.thumb.png.3832aad2f4523ffa1f58cc5a0d09740f.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Presentation mode speeds up my day. I am in meetings constantly, taking screen grabs, jotting notes in bullet format. When I need to present, I would just pop into presentation mode and present. I even got in the practice of adding page breaks so I could use the space bar to segment my notes. Every time (no exaggeration) I presented with the cool, quick full screen and sweet pink laser pointer, I got comments and questions. People liked it! I use evernote because I need to go fast, this is one space I have to still rely on slow un-fun powerpoint since the feature was removed. 

• Level 5*
On 7/18/2023 at 11:40 AM, cococoverdale said:

Presentation mode speeds up my day

Not for the past couple of years,  unless you are using a fairly old version of Evenote.  The feature is gone and highly unlikely to return - but never say never...

Meantime if you are presenting images,  or your presentation can be converted to images,  the Gallery feature does something very similar...

• 7 months later...